Hey Star Trek Fans

Naterel

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Nero was Kirk's father you'd have an argument...but that's not the case.

Kirk also wasn't asked to join in on some crazy space mission. He was talked into enrolling in Starfleet. He defied orders and went on the crazy mission himself.

• Members
The Nile is a river in Egypt

There were too many fallacies in that short clip. Just found another:

It said something about a rebellious farm boy living with step parents. Luke Skywalker lived with aunt and uncle, James Kirk lived with his real mom and stepfather.

Oh and another, it said evil large ship that destroys planets. In Star Wars, yes that's true. In Star Trek, no. The ship Neru commands didn't destroy planets, the red matter they injected into the planet did. The large ship just drilled holes.

This is just a retarded attempt by whoever put together the clip :idk:
Lots of movies can be made to sound similar if you nitpick at it enough.

• Members
There were too many fallacies in that short clip. Just found another:

It said something about a rebellious farm boy living with
step
parents. Luke Skywalker lived with aunt and uncle, James Kirk lived with his real mom and
step
father.

Oh and another, it said evil large
ship
that
destroys planets
. In Star Wars, yes that's true. In Star Trek, no. The ship Neru commands didn't destroy planets, the red matter they injected into the planet did. The large ship just drilled holes.
and destroyed a planet

This is just a
retarded attempt
by whoever put together the clip
:idk:
Lots
of movies
can be made to sound similar if you
nitpick at it
enough.

Shake your spear at shakespeare

• Members

Wait, you mean that both of the protagonists undergo a hero's journey?! Man, I hate it how every story has the same basic plot devices. ;)

John Cho plays Sulu totally straight, no comedy there, and he does a great job too. Simon Pegg plays young Scottie pretty well; he's definitely comic relief and in a scene or two it's a little heavy-handed but it never disrupts the flow of the movie. Overall it is extremely well-paced and succeeds where most Star Trek movies fail - it is cinematic, larger-than-life, where most Star Trek movies come off more like a long episode with better production values than a truly cinematic experience.

To me, it's an extremely exciting film. I am overjoyed that my generation is going to get its own Star Trek, get a chance to meet these characters totally anew (huge financial success so far and everyone involved has already signed on for a sequel that I'm already anticipating like mad)... The new movie doesn't kill the 43-year history of the franchise. That is the star trek corpus vitae, still intact for all of the old-school fans. It's sad that some old fans are taking the alternate-reality aspect so poorly, as Gene Roddenberry used the device all the time himself, and what Star Trek needed right now if it was going to have any life left at all was precisely this - a chance to start over. It's not like they gathered up all the existing material and burned it, this is just a Star Trek for a new generation of fans. And fans aplenty there are, its box office success has been amazing. America wasn't tired of Star Trek, just tired of what Star Trek had become. I raise a toast to new beginnings, and my wife and I will be seeing it again this week.

Edit: I wouldn't call myself a Trekker, but I do have all of the movies and my wife and I watch them yearly; I was born too late to see the original series as it aired, but I've watched it on DVD, and I did follow all of the versions from The Next Generation up to Voyager. The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 are my favorites. Voyager was... alright... and everything since has been mediocre. My favorite movie is Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, and the new Star Trek ranks right up there with it.

• Members

So any movie about a boy who grows up with non biological parents and goes on to stop planet destroying ships is automatically ripping off of Star Wars?

If it follows a similar plot with video evidence, then I'd have to say yes

• Members

Wait, you mean that both of the protagonists undergo a
hero's journey?!
Man, I hate it how every story has the same basic plot devices.
;)

You mean someone else here has studied film and/or done a little reading? :D Thank god :thu:

...That being said, I'm a Star Wars man all the way, and I still quite liked the new Star Trek :D

• Members

In the April edition of Total Film magazine there was an article about the new Star Trek where JJ Abrams 'confessed' as they put it to a childhood preference for Star Wars over Star Trek.

I copied this section from the article:

Crafting a galaxy as gorgeous as George's fulfils something of a long nursed fantasy for Abrams. Dissecting the appeal of origin stories, he readily references Episode IV: "One of my favourite things about those kinds of movies is that you see someone beginning as you or me - a farmboy in Star Wars, for example - and by the end of the film you see them defeat the evil that seemed so much larger than them. There's a really empowering aspect to that".

As it's already been said though, Star Wars was far from original and borrowed heavily from many stories and tales. That's why it was so popular around the world, it's a familiar story that everyone can relate to and understand. Good overcoming evil is a pretty universal idea.

That said, i really enjoyed the new Star Trek, i thought they made a really good job of it. I always loved the originals so i'm glad they didn't mess it up.

Archived