February - new kit thread

Don Solaris

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While not strictly "new", I finally got around to downloading the full Mellotron library from the Clavia site. I'll keep my exclamatory comments to a hearty, "Wow!", it is everything I'd hoped. The haters might say "1990 wants their sampler back", but the sound library and control abilities are top-notch. And I've gotta say, the VA side of this thing is some strong medicine as well. Blending the two is bliss.

• Members

Kaossilator + MicroMemo for iPod.

Makes for a micro "studio" -- set up loops on the Kaossilator, and record at 16/44 via the MicroMemo/iPod on lunch hour at work. Whole setup fits in an organizer that looks like a business case (Mead zip up binder/organizer).

Fun and works surprisingly well.

Kaossilator is a hoot, worth every penny if for no other reason than to think about sound differently. Very easy to use; different keys, scales, octaves, arps and sounds. The "sax" sample can have some pretty cool dynamics using the touchpad - it's the first sax sample that I've had that actually ended up sounding anything like a sax in a mix (YMMV though). Strange. Brass/trumpet sounds a lot like the Roland brass on the PMA-5. Lots of bleeps, blorps and techno stuff, but also some very cool classic synth sounds. Has some settings that are a lot like the Blue Man airpoles too. Fun!

• Members

I was the very short-time owner of a "Surf King" tremolo/reverb unit designed by a guy from Berlin. It was really nicelly engineered, great knobs and buildquality and I was digging both the twangy spring reverb sound and the smooth tremolo...but the inherent buzzing and noise of a spring verb bothered me a lot so I returned it. Still a great buy if you are interested, for 150eurs! At the shop, http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=109977699, they had more nice vintage gear, a modular synth and two Hohner Electra Pianos (rhodes clone)

• Members
Wow.....so they are arriving over here now.....very cool. How do you like it so far ?

I placed my order over 1 1/2 months ago from Audiomidi...

I'm thinking......very soon.
:)

I'm liking it very much, it does and sounds exactly as I expected. I had my order in at another vendor for a couple of months. Amazing they can put most of a PPG, Microwave, Q, etc. in this tiny little box. It does have a couple little minor quirks but the OS is 1.01 so this was expected by me. I'm sure the guys at Waldorf will work them out in future updates if they can manage to stay in business.

The sound is perfect to my ears. In going thru some of the presets, I was like, "oh that one sounds a little off", let me see if I can make it brighter, no problem, warmer, no problem, duller, no problem, edgier, no problem, smoother, no problem. Everything I try to get out of it it does so it's a keeper in my book. I have had a MicroQ, Q-Rack and a Microwave XT in the past so the editing is a piece of cake, and it is great to have Waldorf sounds back in my setup. And it takes up so little space.

Archived