February - new kit thread

Don Solaris

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've been messing around with something new in the rig for the past 2 months. Thanks to WhinyLittleRunt for the Moog LP.
:thu:

It's fun to play.
:thu:
feb08gear_04.JPG

Regards,

Eric

Your rig seems like a lot of fun indeed!

Great rig, congrats! :wave:

• Members
Pretty cool, Eric! Is that a Jupiter 8 over on the left?!
:eek:

Yep, got that last year (the second JP8 I've owned). This one is rather nice with an Encore MIDI kit. Some serial number research I've done leads me to believe it is #18 of all the JP8s produced.

Here are a couple of close-up shots:
jp8_1.JPG
jp8_4.JPG

• Members

I SCORED A RHODES!!!:love: :love: :love:

Mark I. Back looks like it was dragged across a minefield, but the action is perfect, and it was in tune. Guy used it as a studio piece, as will I. Clear as a bell, rich mids. I've actually gone back to a couple of songs that used a Rhodes sound & rerecorded that track with the real deal. Ah, heaven ...

Pardon me, I'm getting verclempt ...

• Members

I just pre-ordered a Solaris. Its probably 6 months away, but hey I've paid for it now so it will seem like a free synth by the time it ships! A fantastic NZD/USD exchange rate forced my hand, not to mention the significant discount acheived by preordering.

Now just gotta clear out a few bits and bobs - probably the MWXT (redundant with Solaris?) and the Teisco will go

• Members
d-50.jpg

Oh yes...

:thu: My favorite synth. At least until I score something like:

jp8_1.JPG

But my "newest" piece is currently this (keyboard fixed now!). Not quite a JP-8 though. I'll sell it most likely, since the wife doesn't want me keeping it...

dsc03060.jpg

Oh no, I'm turning into a Roland wh0re! :freak:

• Members

jx3p.jpg

Scored it for just 100 from some dude (drummer). I always thought this was (soundwise) little brother of JX-8P. Oh, i was so wrong!! This synth sounds fantastic! After playing it for just 30 minutes i realized i will never sell this thing. I found a MIDI kit online to make it fully editable via sysex realtime.

The sound is very specific. Sometime close to Juno 60, but you got two oscillators, yet the filter is differently implemented (no self oscillation). Although it is the same filter as in Juno 60 and Jupiter 8. Soundwise totally different synth than JX-8P. It has a nice sweet spot and pads are gorgeous, specially the open ones (as opposed to Juno 60 which is a king of dark pads).

It is interesting co compare its electronics to Juno 60 and JX-8P:

Juno 6, Juno 60

DCO: Standard Ic.

VCF: IR3109

VCA: BA662

ENV: Hardware

JX-3P

VCF: IR3109

VCA: BA662

ENV: Software

JX-8P, JX-10, MKS-70

VCF: IR3R05

VCA: M5241

Alpha Juno

DCO: MB87123P-G

VCF: IR3R05

VCA: M5241

• Members

Soundwise totally different synth than JX-8P. It has a nice sweet spot and pads are gorgeous, specially the open ones (as opposed to Juno 60 which is a king of dark pads).

So, do you prefer JX-3P's sound over JX-8P? Or do you like both, but they are just different?

So, JX-3P probably sounds a bit like a Juno-60, while JX-8P would sound more like an Alpha Juno 1, at least based on the hardware.

Maybe if/when I sell the JX-8P I'll try and grab a fixer-upper 3P.

I guess the 3P is a bit more compact, like the Prophet '08, due to the location of the bender.

• Members

Scored it for just 100 from some dude (drummer). I always thought this was (soundwise) little brother of JX-8P. Oh, i was so wrong!! This synth sounds fantastic! After playing it for just 30 minutes i realized i will
never
sell this thing. I found a MIDI kit online to make it fully editable via sysex realtime.

I thought exactly the same when i had mine many years back, but after a couple of months, i really started to dislike its sound. Like some older Rolands, it seemed to rely heavily on the 'Chorus' feature to fill out sounds.

The JX8P / MKS70 were always more appealing to my ears. IMO

I had the PG-200 programmer with it too. I really wanted to like it, but didnt.

BTW Don, i think Gilwe has some PG programmers for sale if you havent got one already :idea:

Archived