February - new kit thread

Don Solaris

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A killer sound card. Congrats !

Thanks guys...I'm unfortunately hitting the road again this morning for work, so I won't have much chance to do anything with it until the weekend but I'm pretty excited. mLAN was a really cool idea with a really poor implementation, lack of real support or feature enhancements, and that led to lack of industry acceptance. Kinda sucks, because it could have really been awesome. I took another hard look at it again before moving on, and while I *can* make it work, it never seems to be stable (especially wordclock when using more than one mLAN device with the Graphic Patchbay) and I'm just tired of messing with it. The Fireface has enough I/O that I can reasonably keep my mixer and outboard effects patched and ready to work...

Thanks!

bax

• Members
I took another hard look at it again before moving on, and while I *can* make it work, it never seems to be stable (especially wordclock when using more than one mLAN device with the Graphic Patchbay) and I'm just tired of messing with it. The Fireface has enough I/O that I can reasonably keep my mixer and outboard effects patched and ready to work...

Thats the thing isnt it - there comes a time when once your past the cool {censored} etc, you just want the bloody thing to just simply work all the time with zero hassle. Yes it works most of the time (probaly 99%+ of the time) so long as I reboot my PC often enough, but sometimes it just has off days when it just doesnt want to play, clocks wont sync properly etc, its fogetten its patch settings and TBH all I want to do is record some music not be fekking about with the plumbing trying to figure what the hell happened to the audio/midi/clocks etc ans wasting time with reboots.

Anyway congrats :):thu:

BTW - what are you using to expand the analog I/O? The RME ADAT expanders are rather expensive..

• Members
Thats the thing isnt it - there comes a time when once your past the cool {censored} etc, you just want the bloody thing to just simply work all the time with zero hassle. Yes it works most of the time (probaly 99%+ of the time) so long as I reboot my PC often enough, but sometimes it just has off days when it just doesnt want to play, clocks wont sync properly etc, its fogetten its patch settings and TBH all I want to do is record some music not be fekking about with the plumbing trying to figure what the hell happened to the audio/midi/clocks etc ans wasting time with reboots.

Anyway congrats
:):thu:

BTW - what are you using to expand the analog I/O? The RME ADAT expanders are rather expensive..

Couldn't agree more - I have no mental energy left to actually record anything anymore after trying to keep up with making this stuff work in a stable manner. That's why the RME is here - stability.

Actually, my setup is still going to be mostly the same as the way I had it with mLAN:

All my synths/mics/soundmaking devices into the 01v96r2 mixer - I've got patch panels for everything, and 16 analog ins is good for that. I will use ADAT between mixer and RME and buss over anything that needs recorded or monitored. I have a softsynth computer that has 2ch analog into the mixer and 8ch ADAT that will go into the RME to use as a software send/returns for effects. The analog effects will be normalized into the RME analog I/O but again are patchpaneled so I can bypass and use them as inserts or whatever.

Thanks!
bax

• Members

Nice - the stealth 606! How's it sound?

One of these I had as my first drum-computer and I prefer the sound over the 606 but that is subjective. The drumsounds are pretty much copied from the KR-55 just with the programmable section. So you get the famous speak&spell snare!!

• Members
The analog effects will be normalized into the RME analog I/O but again are patchpaneled so I can bypass and use them as inserts or whatever.

And on that note, I had to sneak one more acquisition in right under the wire to flesh out those outboard "analog effects":

tc_fireworx.jpg

TC Electronic Fireworx :)

Depending on eBay, there may even be one last thing later tonight (it's been a good month ;) )

Thanks!
bax

Archived