EITS- "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place"

• Members

It's my favourite album; or close, at least.

If you think it's boring, it's probably a direct reflection on your intelligence.

"It needz moar samplz and {censored}ed up {censored}!"

The emotive, and communicative power of simple lines playing off each other is astounding. The album has such breathtakingly understated elegance to it, I wouldn't expect your average joe to "get" it.

You can almost hear the lyrics on
First Breath After a Coma
. This is a feat not even some of the most cherished classical pieces can achieve.

I love the album too but I think it's pretty stupid to say that. People are allowed to not like your favorite album.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Case in point'd?

So you're saying that I'm not very intelligent because I think EITS are an overplayed, overrated and unoriginal band?

And then you say that the absolutely timeless genre of classical music doesn't match up to them?

On top of that, you say that "You can almost hear the lyrics", to which I reply "no you can't". There's no singer; how can you hear the lyrics? Unless you mean that they're so "emotive" that you can "hear the lyrics", to which I ask, "are you surprised that people can be emotive with instruments? You think that's something commendable?" Which is essentially like saying, "hey I saw this great artist, he paints with a brush".

Also, I agree with english bob: all the songs do sound the same. It is a compositional black hole.

People are allowed to have opinions without you insulting them.

And aren't you the guy that thinks that BTBAM is more creative than Miles Davis?

• Members

I stand by my initial assessment. All the songs sound the same, and the band rely on a very limited palette of compositional techniques, and the quiet, louder LOUDEST thing gets really old by the time it's finished.

I agree. I'm not saying they're "perfect," or even sophisticated. I guess, despite whatever compositional immaturity there might be, there's still something very real and very important that makes its way through the speakers... at least to me.

Bob Dylan's voice vs Bob Dylan's message sort of thing.

...hug it out?

• Members

It's my favourite album; or close, at least.

If you think it's boring, it's probably a direct reflection on your intelligence.

"It needz moar samplz and {censored}ed up {censored}!"

The emotive, and communicative power of simple lines playing off each other is astounding. The album has such breathtakingly understated elegance to it, I wouldn't expect your average joe to "get" it.

You can almost hear the lyrics on
First Breath After a Coma
. This is a feat not even some of the most cherished classical pieces can achieve.

now this is just dumb. i love the album. but that doesnt mean everyone has to. we all have different tastes man. just because you dont like it, doesnt mean you dont "get" it. please, take that elitist bull{censored} somewhere else.

im starting to like it better when you didnt post so much.

• Members

Certainly could be - the reflection is that my intellect is greater than yours because i realise that this album sucks. AND SO IT GOES.

• Members

now this is just dumb. i love the album. but that doesnt mean everyone has to. we all have different tastes man. just because you dont like it, doesnt mean you dont "get" it. please, take that elitist bull{censored} somewhere else.

take your hippy bull{censored} and get out of here, benn :mad:

• Members

im starting to like it better when you didnt post so much.

I think I just got pulled over by the Hyperbole Police.

"Sir, do you know how much you overstated your case by?"

"Sorry officer. I know; I was just really taken a back that someone could dislike this pretty kick ass album so much; plus it's Monday."

"License and registration."

"{censored}, look I'm sorry. I'll hit "Preview Post" next time, take a step back, make sure I'm not going to start a {censored} storm."

"...license and registration."

"{censored}. My insurance is going to sky rocket..."

• Members

:eek: thats a bit harsh.

I really like that album, but I DO agree that a lot of the songs sound similar. its the only EITS album I have, and the similarity of the songs actually kind of turned me off from getting another album by them. "will it just be a continuation of The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place?" etc.

• Members
I think I just got pulled over by the Hyperbole Police.

"Sir, do you know how much you overstated your case by?"

"Sorry officer. I know; I was just really taken a back that someone could dislike this pretty kick ass album so much; plus it's Monday."

"License and registration."

"{censored}, look I'm sorry. I'll hit "Preview Post" next time, take a step back, make sure I'm not going to start a {censored} storm."

"...license and registration."

"{censored}. My insurance is going to sky rocket..."

:cop::cop:

• Members

I didn't read this whole thread. Listen to other albums, some are different. "how strange, innocence" barely even uses delay, and "the rescue" is much more subdued. Decide what you like and move on. No need to start {censored} for no reason other than to start {censored}.

• Members

Your Hand in Mine is my favorite song.
I'm not sure what all of Ben Allison's points are, because it's Monday for me too (...), but I think that, minus the exaggeration, I'm with him. Maybe it's unoriginal and repetitive, but whatever those four guys did, it's beautiful and moves me in a way that more "talented" bands don't. If it doesn't move you, that's fine. I'll enjoy it, and you'll enjoy something else on the same emotional level, and that's that.

• Members

Your Hand in Mine is my favorite song.

I'm not sure what all of Ben Allison's points are, because it's Monday for me too (...), but I think that, minus the exaggeration, I'm with him. Maybe it's unoriginal and repetitive, but whatever those four guys did, it's beautiful and moves me in a way that more "talented" bands don't. If it doesn't move you, that's fine. I'll enjoy it, and you'll enjoy something else on the same emotional level, and that's that.

Yeah, I was just kinda of being bitchy.

You captured it: it moves me. For all that is simple, even primitive, about that album, it moves me.

Archived