EITS- "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's alright, but there is far more interesting stuff out there. Ehh - they say that they don't even consider themselves PR.

Recommendations? I like the idea of post-rock and the whole instrumental guitar thing, but this isn't quite pushing my buttons.

Improving slightly on a second listen, with the volume up higher, but still a little meh, and all the songs still sound the same.

• Members

I agree with many of those things man. Imho, EITS are a bit overrated. Nothing against them though, just not the most interesting band to me.

You might have already heard these, but check out:

Mogwai

God Is An Astronaut

Red Sparowes

Pelican

Russian Circles

Those last 2 are sometimes considered post metal, but its all good stuff. The other recommended bands are also really good :thu:

Enjoy!

• Members
Godspeed You! Black Emperor are my fave PR band
:thu:

Been there, done that. GY!BE were the band that got me interested in this sort of thing back in '99 when all the magazines were hyping them as some pre-millenial herald of the apocalypse and the collapse of society or some {censored}.

• Members

Been there, done that. GY!BE were the band that got me interested in this sort of thing back in '99 when all the magazines were hyping them as some pre-millenial herald of the apocalypse and the collapse of society or some {censored}.

This is why I gave up on the NME and not a moment too soon.

• Members
This is why I gave up on the NME and not a moment too soon.

It started to go downhill when they stopped regularly reviewing (and slating) gigs by scenester never-was-es The Kinky Machine.

:D

I think they still had some shreds of credibility back then... I don't think I would have heard GY!BE or Sigur Ros (or lots of other interesting stuff) if not for NME. Wouldn't touch it with a {censored}ty stick now though.

• Members
It started to go downhill when they stopped regularly reviewing (and slating) gigs by scenester never-was-es The Kinky Machine.

:D

I think they still had some shreds of credibility back then... I don't think I would have heard GY!BE or Sigur Ros (or lots of other interesting stuff) if not for NME. Wouldn't touch it with a {censored}ty stick now though.

No you're right, I'm sure they championed good stuff - but as you say, the Hype was probably and still is now, ridiculous.

Plus the stuff they rave about these days, less than half it is anywhere near that amazing.

I have largely given up on music magazine.

NME is just out to try and start trends.
Kerrang! just sucks the collective dicks of the latest pop punk
And I'm too young for Q or Mojo.

• Members
I'm too young for Q or Mojo.

I'm not :cry:

I went through a big MOJO phase a few years back. They featured lots of interesting old music, and were big promoters of alt-country in the UK. Still, none of the UK music magazines are something I'd consider buying unless the main feature was on someone I really liked, and {censored} Rolling Stone.

• Members

wow, I loved that album. such awesome melody ideas and harmony. It didn't impact at first like russian circles- enter, but it is still a solid album.

How Strange, Innocence is probably my second favorite from them. And Greet Death is probably my favorite song from them.... so fun to play

• Members

It's my favourite album; or close, at least.

If you think it's boring, it's probably a direct reflection on your intelligence.

"It needz moar samplz and {censored}ed up {censored}!"

The emotive, and communicative power of simple lines playing off each other is astounding. The album has such breathtakingly understated elegance to it, I wouldn't expect your average joe to "get" it.

You can almost hear the lyrics on First Breath After a Coma. This is a feat not even some of the most cherished classical pieces can achieve.

• Members

If you think it's boring, it's probably a direct reflection on your intelligence.

The emotive, and communicative power of simple lines playing off each other is astouncing. The album has such breathtakingly understated elegance to it, I wouldn't expect your average joe to "get" it.

You can almost hear the lyrics on
First Breath After a Coma
. This is a feat not even some of the most cherished classical pieces can achieve.

Oh my god are you serious?

• Members

I expected a better argument than "if you don't like what I like, then you're stupid and I'm clever" from you.

:rolleyes:

I stand by my initial assessment. All the songs sound the same, and the band rely on a very limited palette of compositional techniques, and the quiet, louder LOUDEST thing gets really old by the time it's finished.

Archived