What is the best compressor? Ross v. Keeley v. Analogman...

• Members

Opinions please! Original Ross compressor vs. the Keeley, Analogman, and Barber Tone Press. If you had to choose only 1, which would it be?

I have the original Ross and am considering selling it and purchasing one of the newer clones to have a more reliable pedal for gigging. Curious to hear people's opinions here.

:)

• Members

i enjoy my diamond quite a bit.. i've tried cmatmods ross comp & trex comp nova.

cmatmods makes a very nice ross comp. but barber makes awesome pedals i have 3 by them but not the press.

check the reviews section.

let me edit my original statement. my diamond compressor is phenomenal!

• Members

Opinions please! Original Ross compressor vs. the Keeley, Analogman, and Barber Tone Press. If you had to choose only 1, which would it be?

I have the original Ross and am considering selling it and purchasing one of the newer clones to have a more reliable pedal for gigging. Curious to hear people's opinions here.

:)

When I first came here - my first question was "what pedal(s) do I need for making a lead note sustain as long as humanly possible"? I don't remember who answered me first - but I was told to buy a compressor (no brand mentioned) and a Rat, which I did. I went to my local favorite music store and asked Fred, the owner, if he had a "Compressor" pedal.. he reached into the back of a display case and pulled out this cardboard box that said ROSS on it - and there it was - the original grey Ross Compressor new in the box. Fred said "you want that old thing? It's your for $20". I grabbed it right up, along with an old ProCo Rat, and went home not realizing what I had..

Until some years later when, I think it was a guitarist for Phish? (correct me if I'm not remembering correctly) used one live and then everyone had to have one. I ended up selling mine for $300. When I decided I still liked "compressor" and the endless sustain it gave me (with a whole variety of dirt boxes) I turned to the internet for the most realistically cloned version of the ol Ross compressor made in Chanute Kansas. At that time - this forum was overrun with Keeley Comp owners, and so I hooked up and got ahold of one. I still own it and it's still on my board. It turned out to be my first of many years of Pedal Pick of the Month. :cool:

Since back then, I have accumulated a number of compressors from a number of manufacturers, including Analogman's, and about a dozen others including the Tone Press by Barber. Suffice to say that in todays market there are numerous wonderful compressors out there and although Keeleys and Mike Piera's may be the most used and most popular, there is also a growing cult of followers for the Tone Press.

Your ear, and your gear, will tell you which one is best for your usages and your genre of music. Havinf said that - you can't go wrong with Analogman's, Keeleys, or Barbers. The nicest difference you will notice from the old Grey Ross - is that all the newer ones are much quieter! Zero to very little white noise - compared to the trusty ol Ross.

P.S. If I had a nickel for everytime this question was asked in this forum over the past 9 years... :)

Best wishes on your search! :wave:

• Members

Keeley, easily.

Hmm.. Maybe. It is wonderful and quiet and does it's job well. I just like compressors with a bit more charachter.

Maybe a Janglebox would be something to look into as well...

• Members

Hmm.. Maybe. It is wonderful and quiet and does it's job well. I just like compressors with a bit more charachter.

Maybe a Janglebox would be something to look into as well...

Janglebox has plenty of character. Two knobs. Great Byrds tone, esp designed to make 12-strongs sing. I love mine, but I also have my Carl Martin (4 knobs), which is much more transparent than the Janglebox.

Janglebox is also expensive.

Archived