OT: Beach Boys

jhamnett

• Members

Saw them in concert last night for free in Boston. They still got it (albeit, sans some original members :().

But who knew that John Stamos is touring with them? He was rocking the drums and guitar. I realllllllllly want his Les Paul, it's {censored}ing hawt.

• Members
wtf....they played for free in boston last night? why didn't i hear about this? and where did they play?

Hatch Shell. Part of Oldies 103 Summer Series. I saw The Temptations two weeks ago :thu:

Also, Daddy's Junky Music sent me free tickets for Pete Yorn tonight, so I'm seeing two high quality shows this weekend for $0 :D

I have no idea why Daddy's sent me the tickets. Not complaining.

• Members

If only I had known....That would have been a lot more exciting than what was going on at the Lowell Folk Festival.

Ouch. There was only one reason I ever went to Lowell, and that was a girl. She's out of the picture now... so I avoid Lowell like the plague.

• Members

Not exactly like you're missing out on much in Lowell. Except for two weeks ago when Wilco was there...except I want to say that the rain ended the show early...otherwise the encore wouldn't have been "I'm the Man Who Loves You."

• Members

Not exactly like you're missing out on much in Lowell. Except for two weeks ago when Wilco was there...except I want to say that the rain ended the show early...otherwise the encore wouldn't have been "I'm the Man Who Loves You."

{censored}, I bet it was still a good show. I saw them back in January with Neil Young, though, so no worries.

• Members
this will make me even less popular than I already am here, but I can't listen to the Beach Boys....ugghhh they are awful, yes even Pet Sounds...
:facepalm::idk:

Ouch:facepalm:

Even if you are not a big fan of the music, good lord how can you deny the briliiance of Brian???? They were "our" Beatles.

• Members

Ouch:facepalm:

Even if you are not a big fan of the music, good lord how can you deny the briliiance of Brian???? They were "our" Beatles.

I'm sorry they shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same sentence as the Beatles.I guess they trigger the same gag reflex that Radiohead does in me. Give me Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly or Eddie Cochrane any day!

• Members

Stamos's connection with the band goes back to at least the mid '90s. They appeared on Full House at least once.

way before then. he was touring with them in the 80's before full house.

i was going to go but then i heard brian wilson wasn't going to be there. if i had known stamos was there i wouldve made it

Brian Wilson stopped regularly touring with the band in the 1960s. Now Carl and Dennis Wilson are gone (RIP :( ) and so the only original members who are still alive would be Mike Love and Al Jardine. IIRC, Al was doing his own thing for a while - I'm not sure if he's currently performing with the band or not; I don't think he is. Longtime BB Bruce Johnston replaced Glenn Campbell in the touring band back in 1965 (after Brian stopped touring to concentrate on making records), and ended up as a "full member of the band"; contributing to some of their 1960s era hits. I believe he is still with the band.

So basically, that leaves Mike Love and Bruce Johnston as the only "original" members. To me, it's not really "The Beach Boys" anymore, any more so than if Paul and Ringo decided to go out on tour as "The Beatles".

YMMV. :)

• Members

I've been listening to Smiley Smile and the original Smile outtakes a lot in the last few weeks. I went through a pretty obsessive period over this music starting around 1990. I'm so glad that Brian Wilson finally completed the project. It really is a masterpiece :love: , and he and his band did an amazing job in resurrecting it.

• Members
Brian Wilson stopped regularly touring with the band in the 1960s. Now Carl and Dennis Wilson are gone (RIP
:(
) and so the only original members who are still alive would be Mike Love and Al Jardine. IIRC, Al was doing his own thing for a while - I'm not sure if he's currently performing with the band or not; I don't think he is. Longtime BB Bruce Johnston replaced Glenn Campbell in the touring band back in 1965 (after Brian stopped touring to concentrate on making records), and ended up as a "full member of the band"; contributing to some of their 1960s era hits. I believe he is still with the band.

So basically, that leaves Mike Love and Bruce Johnston as the only "original" members.
To me, it's not really "The Beach Boys" anymore, any more so than if Paul and Ringo decided to go out on tour as "The Beatles".

YMMV.
:)

Yes, this is the lineup I saw last night. Still, I thought the band they had up there put on a great show and was very happy that I went... especially since it was free :D

Also... STAMOS!!

Archived