The Official EHX Memory Boy Lounge

• Members

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dig mine. Its a *weeee* bit hissy with any sort of dirt and with the Blend knob past noon.

I keep mine with Time almost maxed, Depth barely on (// with Vibrato), Blend at 11, and Feedback at 2 oclock.

ALl in all, I kinda miss my Carbon Copy. But if the need arises, the Boy will make some WACKY noises. Very tweakable.

• Members

I dig mine. Its a *weeee* bit hissy with any sort of dirt and with the Blend knob past noon.

I keep mine with Time almost maxed, Depth barely on (// with Vibrato), Blend at 11, and Feedback at 2 oclock.

ALl in all, I kinda miss my Carbon Copy. But if the need arises, the Boy will make some WACKY noises. Very tweakable.

Yep, you can definitely hear analog noise in some of the extreme settings, and that's just the nature of pushing less than $100 worth of BBDs.

As has been said in other threads, the repeats on the Memory Boy are noticeably darker than the DMM. I used my EHX 10 Band Graphic EQ to pull some clarity out of the repeats.

Overall, though, this is the most exciting delay pedal I've ever used for under $100.

• Members

WHY NO TAP
:cry:

To put it simply it's not really "that kind of delay". Think of the memory boy as more atmospheric and ethereal. The repeats are dark and can get very lo-fi sounding. When you're playing within a real mix and are playing rhythmic delay it needs to cut through and become part of the line you're playing. In other words you want fairly bright repeats... either a digital delay or a brighter analog delay (DMM).

• Members

To put it simply it's not really "that kind of delay". Think of the memory boy as more atmospheric and ethereal. The repeats are dark and can get
very
lo-fi sounding. When you're playing within a real mix and are playing rhythmic delay it needs to cut through and become part of the line you're playing. In other words you want fairly bright repeats... either a digital delay or a brighter analog delay (DMM).

Well-put. I don't think EHX intended to make it a do-it-all analog delay, though it does a lot. It does some very unique things that no other analog delay does, definitely for the price-point.

• Members

To put it simply it's not really "that kind of delay". Think of the memory boy as more atmospheric and ethereal. The repeats are dark and can get
very
lo-fi sounding. When you're playing within a real mix and are playing rhythmic delay it needs to cut through and become part of the line you're playing. In other words you want fairly bright repeats... either a digital delay or a brighter analog delay (DMM).

all the more reason to get the memory boy AND the DLA :D

• Members

This thread may not be the most objective place to ask, and the question may be too subjective, but I am curious to know if one is better off with this or the Carbon Copy.

I have both and like them both, but the Boy's modulation sounds better to me and it's more adjustable than the CC's modulation. I like the darker repeats, though it's not as lush and full sounding as the DMM that I have. I was also worrying about the CC's switch crapping out on me, I had one go bad already, the one I have now is the replacement. I know MXR will fix it if it breaks, but I don't want to go 3 weeks without it. All in all I'm really happy with the MB, I got more for the CC than the MB cost new.

• Members

Nah it should retail for $79. Should be hitting stores in a week or two.

Thanks, looks like a Carbon Copy in terms of features so i'll wait until its out and then choose between the Boy and the Toy

EHX is on a roll with these new designs, if only they'd release an original OD (not that germ thing though :p)

Archived