For you guys that go camping, I've got a question for you.

loosegroove

• Members

My girlfriend and I are driving cross country this november (early in the month) and will be camping in CA and Utah. Should we buy 20 degree sleeping bags or 0 degree? In the future we will probably be using them in the spring, summer, fall in the North East. I don't want to be too warm but probably better too warm than too cold. What do you think? I've found a good deal on some Kelty Mummy style bags.

• Members

Before I was a pedal geek, I was (and still am) a camping, biking, hiking nut. Maybe I can help you out.
Even it you will be in the mountains, the 20 should be fine even if the temp does drop.
But honestly, you are much better off getting a double that you can share or 2 "mateable" bags so you can have the option to keep each other warm.
FWIW I have a 40 degree REI travel sack that packs smaller than a football for solo bicycle touring purposes. If it gets really cold, I just wear any winter hat (because you lose most of your warmth from your neck and head). You can also put on a sweatshirt or stuff one of those thin fleece airplane blankets in the bag if it gets too cold (i love those). The winter hat is key though. No need for a 0 degree unless you plan on winter camping.
Also, if you were considering it, theres no need to get a down sleeping bag. They are nicer, but the downfall is besides the price, if they get wet, they take FOREVER to dry. They're also more difficult to clean.
Good quality synthetic fill sleeping bags dry fast and last longer in a way keeping an even loft throughout the bag. Not to mention they are much cheaper.
I have loads of camping tips if you need.
Heres two:
Pick a flat spot to set up your tent (you will slide in your sleep if set-up on a slope:facepalm:) Pull all sticks from where you plan on setting up your tent, and make a nice thick "bedding" underneath the tent with dried leaves. Much more comfortable than a thermarest or a ridgerest. Air mattresses are nice but can be a hassle and are not really needed.

Dryer lint works great for starting fires if you cant find much kindling.
Grab some a put it in a bag after you do laundry. Burns like a charm.
Can you make a good bonfire? If not, you have work to do.

• Members
Pick a flat spot to set up your tent (you will slide in your sleep if set-up on a slope:facepalm:)

Now see, that just seems obvious to me.

Yet last weekend, I went camping with the girlfriend and she demanded we set up on a pretty noticible slope.

Sure enough, I was sliding in my sleep. Good lord it was awful. :facepalm:

• Members

I was a camping nut in the past, not so much anymore but hopefully that will change. I agree with Ste. A 20 degree bag and a hat. Also, the tip about getting mateable bags is key. That way you can sleep alone or zip them together and share. Also, a silk bag liner is cheap and light and has many uses. Use it alone on hot nights, or in your bag on colder nights.

Also, I make my own quickfires by melting wax over drier lint or sawdust, make a little wick and use some type of mold, I used a metal egg tray.

Finally, if you plan on doing much hiking carry a bear bell and maybe some bear mace. I know you won't use it, but it is peace of mind.

• Members

being prepared for bears is crucial as well, especially out in California.

Keep deodorant, toothpaste, all food and anything with a scent in a sealed container.

If you are in bear country, you will need a rope to pulley it up in a tree at night. Some parks actually enforce this.

If you actually encounter a bear, thats a whole other thing.

I never did, but I have heard some insane stories.

If you do the key is to look big (hold something large over your head, open your jacket wide, etc), and DO NOT RUN. Bears can out run any human.

If they do pose a threat or are rustling through your {censored}, I know it sounds crazy, but you are supposed to start throwing rocks and sticks at them until they run away.

• Members
Now see, that just seems obvious to me.

Yet last weekend, I went camping with the girlfriend and she demanded we set up on a pretty noticible slope.

Sure enough, I was sliding in my sleep. Good lord it was awful.
:facepalm:

Woah.. she demanded that huh? That sucks.
Well it was nice of you to let her have her way.
The next day, did she feed you the "it didn't bother me" line? :facepalm:

• Members

Thanks for the tips. We're going to be car camping and the bags I am buying are pretty budget. They're Kelty Mistrals which are their entry level bags. The price difference between the 0 degree and 20 degree bags are negligible. Should I still go with the 20 degree bags even though weight and price aren't really an issue?

And yeah, we'll be in areas that our bear country. But since we'll be car camping, there will be plenty of lock boxes around to store out food and stuff.

• Members

even worse than bears in california is gigantic rv's full of screaming kids pulling into your peaceful "remote" hideaway spot.

:mad:

though in november that won't really be a problem. as far as warmth, it really depends where you'll be camping. if you get high enough up in the mountains it can get extremely cold sleeping on the ground. coldest night i've ever spent was camping in the sierras (in june!). i get cold even thinking about that night.

• Members

We're not going to be up in the Sierras. We'll be at Yosemite, Sequoia National Forest, and then will be heading to Arches in Moab Utah. Basically hitting some National Parks as we drive cross country, moving from San Francisco to the East Coast.

I guess my main concern is being too warm in my bag since I tend to sleep hot. The last time I drove cross country and camped out, it was at the end of October and I had like a 45 degree summer bag that I borrowed from my friend. Man, that was cold. I was all bundled up and still freezing!

• Members

I've encountered bears and moose while doing archaeology. Never had a problem with them, but those were tense moments. Of course we were in the remotest parts of CO, UT, ID, WY, AZ, and NM. Ran into a feral Emu once. That was a trip.

I carry bear mace all the time, not for the animals but for use on crazy backcountry rednecks. ;)

• Members

Before I was a pedal geek, I was (and still am) a camping, biking, hiking nut. Maybe I can help you out.

Even it you will be in the mountains, the 20 should be fine even if the temp does drop.

But honestly, you are much better off getting a double that you can share or 2 "mateable" bags so you can have the option to keep each other warm.

FWIW I have a 40 degree REI travel sack that packs smaller than a football for solo bicycle touring purposes. If it gets really cold, I just wear any winter hat (because you lose most of your warmth from your neck and head). You can also put on a sweatshirt or stuff one of those thin fleece airplane blankets in the bag if it gets too cold (i love those). The winter hat is key though. No need for a 0 degree unless you plan on winter camping.

Also, if you were considering it, theres no need to get a down sleeping bag. They are nicer, but the downfall is besides the price, if they get wet, they take FOREVER to dry. They're also more difficult to clean.

Good quality synthetic fill sleeping bags dry fast and last longer in a way keeping an even loft throughout the bag. Not to mention they are much cheaper.

I will totally agree with this. I own two sleeping bags, one of which was very expensive (although not down) and is very very warm. So warm in fact that the few times i have used it I have woken up at night after getting too hot.

Then I have a cheap sleeping bag that my parents bought for me 10+ years ago. It is really only meant for summer camping, but I have used it in near freezing temperatures, and never had a problem staying warm.

• Members

Okay, I don't know how bags are rated in the States and I don't know the climates of where you are going, but I would advise anyone to buy a bag for colder conditions than they need and unzipping it if they get too warm.

Nothing is worse than being cold at night - been there, done it.

• Members

Okay, I don't know how bags are rated in the States and I don't know the climates of where you are going, but I would advise anyone to buy a bag for colder conditions than they need and unzipping it if they get too warm.

Nothing is worse than being cold at night - been there, done it.

+1

i went camping in April with gorgeous hot sunshiney days followed by really cold nights (check for cloud cover before you go to sleep as an indicator). the first night i was fully clothed in my standard sleeping bag and i was waking up dozens of times coz i was so cold.. thought i was going to die..

the second night i had bought a second sleeping bag. slept in both sleeping bags. totally comfy and snug as a bug in a rug.

i'm pretty much taking two sleeping bags whenever i go camping now.

• Members
We're not going to be up in the Sierras. We'll be at Yosemite, Sequoia National Forest, and then will be heading to Arches in Moab Utah. Basically hitting some National Parks as we drive cross country, moving from San Francisco to the East Coast.

Yosemite and Sequoia will be cold, Arches even colder. I'd certainly expect temps in the 20s. :wave:

• Members

the 20 degree bag should be fine. you can add clothing layers and wear a hat if you need to get warmer. i camped out in yosemite in the snow during novemeber with a kelty bag that wasn't rated higher than that and I was OK. the more important thing is to get yourself up off the ground with a cot, air matress or good sleeping pad. that makes all the difference in the world.

• Members
the 20 degree bag should be fine. you can add clothing layers and wear a hat if you need to get warmer. i camped out in yosemite in the snow during novemeber with a kelty bag that wasn't rated higher than that and I was OK. the more important thing is to get yourself up off the ground with a cot, air matress or good sleeping pad. that makes all the difference in the world.

Very true about the getting off the ground, a mat is a must, will do yourself some physical damage without one. I like the foam ones, they are cheaper and always effective...the air ones are overpriced and absorb too much water. :)

• Members

the 20 degree bag should be fine. you can add clothing layers and wear a hat if you need to get warmer. i camped out in yosemite in the snow during novemeber with a kelty bag that wasn't rated higher than that and I was OK.

how was the cloud cover though? coz if it's a warm day and clear skies at night the temp will drop like a stone.

• Members

how was the cloud cover though? coz if it's a warm day and clear skies at night the temp will drop like a stone.

that's true. and actually my tent was pretty well insulated with the snow sitting on top of it. we had a few other nights under clear skies and typically i'd wear fleece underwear layers and a cap and did fine. i only have one bag for all seasons so i didn't want anything i was going to burn up in on warmer nights. a lighter bag and adding layers seems like the answer for me.

Archived