For you guys that go camping, I've got a question for you.

loosegroove

• Members

if you go with a self inflating camping pad don't get a cheap one. therm-a-rest is the only way to go. thicker the better if you're car camping.

Yeah I was going to say:

"Thermarest - Good.

Blow up air bed - BAD"

The air in those just goes stone cold over night and you sleep on 6 inches of freezing air, not good.

• Members

I have a Z-rest and a ultralight thermarest, and I never use the thermarest. Way too much of a PITA to deflate and roll up.

I agree that thermarests are terrible. Hardly any cushion. The foam they use is not dense enough.

Z-Rests are a gimmick too. Not enough cush and it collected little puddles of moisture. And the accordion style is just plain wierd.

Go with the extra thick ridgerests. Theyre the best I have found, You just need a nylon strap to keep it rolled up.

But for car camping, if you want to be REALLY comfortable, I would suggest 2" or even 3" (your choice) thick foam wide enough for the 2 of you. you can roll it up pretty tight and its way more comfortable than a bed.

You can get foam in any fabric store. Might be like 30$ though but its so worth it for the comfort.

• Members

The air in those just goes stone cold over night and you sleep on 6 inches of freezing air, not good.

No, that air is actually a form of insulation and your body heat will keep that air warm. I promise. Even sleeping on a picnic table is warmer and more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Thats another old trick.

• Members

I think the first thing is you gotta know if you are a cold sleeper or hot sleeper. I sleep cold so a 20deg bag in the summer/fall works for me, but on colder fall nights, I need to get a 0deg bag (haven't gotten one yet). A hot sleeper could easily get away w/ a 40deg bag in the summer. Not me.

As for sleeping pads, again, you should consider how you sleep. I sleep on my side so the Thermarest stuff tends to be too thin b/c my hip will go into the ground. So I have one of these: MTRB.jpg

Oh, and that brings up full-length vs. 3/4 length. Since you're not really backpacking and more doing the car camping thing weight isn't a big deal.

I backpack and try to go pretty light. I wish I could use an ultralight foam sleeping pad, but I won't get any sleep that way so I cut weight in a lot of places and my pad is my 'luxury' item. Oh, and some whiskey.

• Members

I went camping not to long ago, we didn't use sleeping bags, just some blankets and a pillow, our tent was set up in the worst possible spot. Anyways, since I can't give you any advice, I will say, have fun and be careful. Also, it's more fun to stay in an area thats not a designated camp site, or at least it was for us.

Don't let ants get in your rice...

Archived