OT:Fender, Japan or Mexico?

Drugo

• Members

So, since i'm gonna start working in a couple of weeks i was thinking to buy a new a guitar with my first pay.

I already have an american fender and, also because i don't want to spend too much, i was thinking to buy a japanese or mexican one (tele thinline, probably...)

Considering they're almost in the same price range which ones do you think are better? CIJ or mexico made?

(both should be new models, so 2008-2009 serials)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What? How do they feel different to a MIM? I doubt very much you'd even be able to tell the difference in a blind test. A Tele feels like a Tele...

every mexican classic player guitar i've played has been heavier than every japanese fender i've ever picked up. they feel more dense and less resonant for some reason. this is just my experience.

• Members

Seems like most of the frets on the MIJ stuff are vintage sized, and a smaller radius, compared to the MIM stuff. I'd go MIM personally, I think the quality is very consistent these days, and they are usually cheaper, but I guess I'm thinking about the standard models. I would try both if possible. But the smaller frets on the Japan models turn me off to an extent.

• Members

every mexican classic player guitar i've played has been heavier than every japanese fender i've ever picked up. they feel more dense and less resonant for some reason. this is just my experience.

Yeah, like the Baha. They are really heavy. The Classic 50s Tele I'm about to get definitely isn't heavy or un-resonant. It's not part of the Classic Player Series though.

This is the guitar:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-50s-telecaster-electric-guitar-white-blonde-maple-neck--40928

• Members

Yeah, like the Baha. They are really heavy. The Classic 50s Tele I'm about to get definitely isn't heavy or un-resonant. It's not part of the Classic Player Series though.

This is the guitar:

nice. i had the olympic white 60's classic for a while.

• Members

Was it heavy

it was heavier and less resonant than the japanese tele i traded it for. all the while i had it i thought it was a great guitar and i still think they're really nice but as soon as i picked up the japanese one and played it I immediately could feel the difference. i had the exact same findings comparing a CIJ jazzmaster with one of the newer MIM classic player offsets.

• Members

every japanese fender i've played has been nice but they've all been 80s ones, dunno about the quality these days, i wouldn't think its any worse.

with mexican ones, it can be a little hit and miss. some play like crap, my '98 MIM jazz bass plays like butter.

you've just got to try them out yourself.

• Members

every japanese fender i've played has been nice but they've all been 80s ones, dunno about the quality these days, i wouldn't think its any worse.

with mexican ones, it can be a little hit and miss. some play like crap, my '98 MIM jazz bass plays like butter.

you've just got to try them out yourself.

Yeah i know

unfortunately all the shops here have only mexican fender, it seems that no one have japanese ones (probably too expensive to ship? don't know..), living in italy really sucks when you need to look for gear :cry:

I've played a couple of 72 custom and a thinline MIM and they were not bad at all; also my bandmate has a mexican standard and it's not easy to tell the difference from mine.

How smaller are the frets on the japanese ones? Is there such a big difference?

• Members

I prefer the older style frets. Can't stand the medium-jumbo/jumbo frets.

Mexican made guitars are like Korean made guitars: they've both really narrowed the gap with Japan. The very best Korean and Mexican guitars might be close to the bog standard Japanese guitars but the very best Japanese guitars are at a level way in excess of the Mexican and Korean guitars.

• Members

I say Japanese Fenders are better. My wife has a Mustang bass from there and it is much nicer than any of the MIM Teles I've had in the past. I returned the last one I got, a 72 Thinline, bc it had so many problems; like a nut that hung off the neck by an 1/8 of an inch and a blemish that was "hidden" with a Sharpie.

Archived