what are your favs for making people feel woozy?

Stella Joop

• Members
you know woozy psych pop type stuff. warm swirly guitars.

vibratos and trems and verbs and pans and stuffs that make you feel all warm and woozy.

:cool:

Take a stereo amp setup. Reverb and trem on one amp, a nice delay with the treble rolled back on the other amp. For added gluttony, stick an Arion SCH-1 in front of both and add some stereo chorus to each amp.

• Members

Take a stereo amp setup. Reverb and trem on one amp, a nice delay with the treble rolled back on the other amp. For added gluttony, stick an Arion SCH-1 in front of both and add some stereo chorus to each amp.

Holy crap, you just described my rig 20 years ago, down to the Arion SCH-1, which was a noisy, plasticy POS then, and just as noisy and nasty today. I split the output of the Arion to each amp. I didn't use trem on either amp, but used a phaser in front of the Arion for added swirl. For additional fun, I'd crank all of the controls on the Arion and have a delay doing quarter note triplets-- sounded like grasshoppers eating the audience-- trippy as hell.

• Members
Holy crap, you just described my rig 20 years ago, down to the Arion SCH-1, which was a noisy, plasticy POS then, and just as noisy and nasty today. I split the output of the Arion to each amp. I didn't use trem on either amp, but used a phaser in front of the Arion for added swirl. For additional fun, I'd crank all of the controls on the Arion and have a delay doing quarter note triplets-- sounded like grasshoppers eating the audience-- trippy as hell.

I like noise! I had an SCH-1, sold it, and happily got another cheap recently. It has faults but the positives far outweigh the faults. I got the SCH-1 this week along with an Eventide Timefactor and a TC Nova system. The SCH-1 is the one that has made my ears smile the most! I've been {censored}ing about with low capacitance cable, thinking of a 6-way loop pedal, experiments with buffers... and then got over myself. I like stuff that sounds a bit {censored}ty at times.

Now to go and try that grasshopper trick with the SCH-1... :)

• Members
Now to go and try that grasshopper trick with the SCH-1...
:)

I'll dig up a clip from an EP I did back then with the grasshopper sound and post it. When we were recording the EP, almost everything I did was DI, using the studio's effects for everything. When it came time for this track, though, I knew that the only thing that was going to give me that sound was my pedal board and that Arion chorus. As I was putting it together, the engineer said, "man, that's gonna be noisy as hell." I laughed and said, "wait 'til you hear it-- the noise is part of the sound."

I just found out recently that those pedals have a following-- back then, it was the one piece of gear I was embarrassed about.

• Members
Now to go and try that grasshopper trick with the SCH-1...
:)

Here's a clip with the grasshopper guitar. I didn't run stereo here-- this was Strat -> Electra Phaser -> Digitech Delay -> Arion Chorus -> Board. The other guitar was Pointy Yamaha -> JC-120. Please forgive the gated snare--we were just coming out of the 80s.

Archived