Boss TU-2 tuner - love/no love?

liko

• Members

So there have been some tuner threads in here over my time at HC-Forums, many of which have thoroughly bashed the humble TU-2 tuner pedal. However, with all the nay-saying, the fact remains that this pedal is still the standard stage tuner, even for pros. I went to go see a CCW concert Sunday night; Francesca Battistelli, Brandon Heath and Leeland. Four guitarists on-stage, all of which had the familiar white box as a tuner/mute. The guitarist and bassist of a mainstream rock band I got backstage passes to a year or so ago also used them.

So I thought I'd re-ignite the discussion. Obviously there are better tuners; better displays, more accurate sensing, analog strobe instead of digital. However, the TU-2 can't possibly be worthless. For those of you who use one, why? For those who don't, what do you use, why, and what, if anything, could be done to make you take another look at the TU-2?

• Members

I think its the standard because it was for a long time the only choice....now it kind of perpetuates itself because people see it everywhere, and it is a decent tuner.

Personally though, I use the Korg Pitchblack as do the other two guitarists and the bassist in my band. It's simple, super accurate and has a big, very easy to read display, even in the daytime sun at an outdoor gig.

I don't have any reason to give the TU-2 a second look anymore. It does its job, but the Pitchblack does it better, for cheaper

• Members

when using a tu-2 in different places in my chain it definatly makes a difference

first

just slight tone difference, more treble

last

boost / muddy sounding tone

effects loop

awesome doesnt add anything to it

in the effects loop its awesome

the onlt problem is you dont get silent tuning

but i dont use my overdrive in the amp, so set it to a very very low volume and its fine !!

• Members

I've used one for about ten years with absolutely NO problems.
It cost me $40 new with a friends GC employee discount at the time.
It does everything I've ever needed it to... and does it well enough that until it breaks, I'll not be looking anywhere else for a tuner:idk:

• Members

Mine works great, glad I guess that I have it nearly first in my chain for its buffer, which I have no problem with. There may be better tuners, but few as dependable. I've heard of a few people here, that have gone back from their Pitchblack back to the TU-2 after the PB crapped out on them. You rarely hear that about the TU-2. If I was to get a new one though, it may very well be the PB, it's a bit smaller which is nice. Only $10 difference, so no big deal really.

• Members

How can you really feel so strongly about a tuner. It's about the most boring piece of equipment there is.

You may think so, but I get excited about a line selector.

Oh and doesn't being properly in tune matter a {censored} load more when playing than which tubescreamer clone you're using?

You could have all the mojo gear in the world but it aint for {censored} if you're outta tune.

• Members

So I thought I'd re-ignite the discussion. Obviously there are better tuners; better displays, more accurate sensing, analog strobe instead of digital. However, the TU-2 can't possibly be worthless. For those of you who use one, why? For those who don't, what do you use, why, and what, if anything, could be done to make you take another look at the TU-2?

It was one of the first pedals I ever bought (and still have). For that reason I'll hang on to it even if there are "better" tuners out there.

• Members

A TU-2 was one of my first pedals, and it's one of the few pedals that have remained in my setup through all of the changes. It's just a solid pedal that works consistently.

I recently did a side-by-side comparison of the TU-2, Pitchblack and CT-04 in a youtube video HERE, so you can see the differences in how the TU-2 and Pitchblack track and display.

• Members

I had no issues for the year or so that I had mine. Keep in mind that I'm not a gigging guitarist. I just don't really have great use for a tuner at this point. I can tune by ear better than my little 20 dollar Korg tuner at this point, but still need some sort of reference for A. The TU2 is the standard for good reason, I'd say - built like a tank and does the job it's supposed to do.

Archived