Giving my first lesson later today...

Vince

• Members

Take it really slow, and don't play anything but what you're asking them to play- you wouldn't believe how many people I've spoken to who get put off by practiced guitarists "making it look easy" when they're trying to learn.

Concentrate on getting them in to good technique habits- correct finger position, good posture etc. It's the sort of stuff that will be a nightmare to un-learn later when it's restricting them.

• Members

Yeah, I'd suggest asking him what he wants to do. If it's play in a band, teach him how to play Nothing Else Matters. He'll be stoked that he learned a song on the first day and probably keep playing. If he doesn't know Nothing Else Matters, teach him how to play the open string portion of an Em chord.

• Members

I used colored finger dot stickers to outline open chords and scales with a cooresponding number wrote on them.

Go buy some colored sticker filing dots and a single hole puncher- Punch out little dots and put them on the fretboard- use a certain color for different chords and put the finger number on them. WORKS!

• Members

Take it really slow, and don't play anything but what you're asking them to play- you wouldn't believe how many people I've spoken to who get put off by practiced guitarists "making it look easy" when they're trying to learn.

that was my instructors excuse for not playing in front of me; i quickly discovered that he didn't know how to play.

• Members

ask what they want to do and what theyre interested in doing. its usually learning songs right away. power chords and open string chords. but focus on technique. a first lesson is usually a lot more talking then playing

i've in herited a ton of new students with awful technique. they wont listen to me as far as correcting problems that their old teacher caused, and they arent advancing, whatsoever. the worst is when you have a 16 year old thats amazing and then another 16 yr old thats so stuck on one level playing and wont advance. you want to tell them to quit but you cant

• Members

I started w/ tuning & basic open chords, transitioned a bit into scales... but that was a bit over his head, so I had him go out and buy a book. We're working through that and working on rhythm. Also introducing him to power chords and such... using the open chord shapes he already knows.

I've taught him a few songs and such, but primarily I'd say go slow and make sure he's having fun -- but don't be afraid to be a little tough.

• Members

that was my instructors excuse for not playing in front of me; i quickly discovered that he didn't know how to play.

yeah this is a bull {censored} excuse. i definitely have students that are much cleaner and faster than me, but thats because they have all the time in the world right now and i have to work three jobs. i explain that up front. most of them dont know theory or how to break out of position playing, so thats pretty much where i pick up.

• Members

Teach him all he will ever need to know about true bypass and how tonally superior it is.

Seriously though good luck and have fun.

I found teaching guitar, more difficult than teaching flying. Flying is so regimented and has such a clear curriculum. There are two ways to learn flying 1. the expensive way and 2. the extremely expensive way. This motivates the future professionals, the ones who clearly want to learn and quickly weeds out the underachievers who just have too much spare time and money..

Archived