Best delay unit?

Thorhead

• Members

So I want the best sounding delay unit for solong (I prefer stereo OFC).

I was looking at BOSS DD-7, my only concern is that digital FX suck, for example the boss FUZZ pedal (and all roland synth drives) sound VERY digital.

On the other hand delay is a lot simpler than distortion, so Analog or digital?

Basicly:

EHX delay vs BOSS DD-7.

• Members

wat?
:freak::facepalm:

Delay is a LOT simpler FX to program digitally than an overdrive...

Anyway that superdelay would be nice, but its kind of expensive.

It doesnt have to be stereo but its a plus. I currently have BOSS RV-3 deley reverb, but neither the reverb or the delay is quiet what I want.

Basicly it has to fatten up my solo sound...

• Members

Delay is a LOT simpler FX to program digitally than an overdrive...

Anyway that superdelay would be nice, but its kind of expensive.

It doesnt have to be stereo but its a plus. I currently have BOSS RV-3 deley reverb, but neither the reverb or the delay is quiet what I want.

Basicly it has to fatten up my solo sound...

Ah OK I see what you are saying now.

I had an RV-3 and I thought it was pretty sterile too. I also had a DM-3 and DMM and they just weren't it either. I now have a Nova Delay and it's not quite what I want either. All of these pedals are great just wasn't what I was looking for.

Maybe you need an echo-y reverb more than a delay?

• Members

Ah OK I see what you are saying now.

I had an RV-3 and I thought it was pretty sterile too. I also had a DM-3 and DMM and they just weren't it either. I now have a Nova Delay and it's not quite what I want either. All of these pedals are great just wasn't what I was looking for.

Maybe you need an echo-y reverb more than a delay?

Perhaps... So far I think delay is better for solo stuff though, or a mixture of delayverb. But I have no real experiance here, thats why I am asking.

• Members

The DD-7 is a great pedal for the money. All of the modes sound good, and are useful, and the looper is basic but it's a bonus to have. I'm actually trading one for a Boss RC-2, because now I have a T.C. Electronics Repeater.

The Repeater is great, and similar in price. No looper. But is more versatile as a delay. My favorite mode is the tape setting. Add some vibrato modulation and turn the tone down, and it gets nice and murky sounding. It also has an easy to use tap tempo feature, and can do 1/4 notes,1/8 1/16 etc. Really a good delay. Can sound very analog like, or very digital. Total winner.

But the DD-7 is very nice too, and in some ways sounds a little less hi fi than the Repeater.

• Members

For a digital pedal that can sound very analog, take a look at the Akai Headrush. Malekko makes excellent analog delay pedals too. The problem is, since so many people are corksniffy about analog pedals, they are {censored}ing expensive.. despite the fact that they're very cheap to make.. quite silly really, but that's supply and demand for you. I personally often like digital delay sounds better, which is why I had to get an EHX SMM/H just for that.

• Members

The DD-7 is a great pedal for the money. All of the modes sound good, and are useful, and the looper is basic but it's a bonus to have. I'm actually trading one for a Boss RC-2, because now I have a T.C. Electronics Repeater.

The Repeater is great, and similar in price. No looper. But is more versatile as a delay. My favorite mode is the tape setting. Add some vibrato modulation and turn the tone down, and it gets nice and murky sounding. It also has an easy to use tap tempo feature, and can do 1/4 notes,1/8 1/16 etc. Really a good delay. Can sound very analog like, or very digital. Total winner.

But the DD-7 is very nice too, and in some ways sounds a little less hi fi than the Repeater.

:thu:DD7 is great value and analog setting is perfect for thickening up solo's. Also check out the Tech 21 tap boost DLA. Bobby D's demo sounds awesome.

• Members

The problem is, since so many people are corksniffy about analog pedals, they are {censored}ing expensive.. despite the fact that they're very cheap to make..

That isn't true. Analog delays are absolutely more expensive to make than digital ones. Just the fact that they have to be carefully calibrated makes them much more labor intensive. And in most cases they require much more additional circuitry than a simple digital delay. Just because you can get some BBD chips for fairly cheap, doesn't mean that those are the good ones. And if you want a long delay time, it will require several of them in the circuit.

If you want an analog delay that actually delivers good sound quality, it's going to cost some money.

• Members

I don't know if there's a "best" delay unit, but I've got my favs, definitely the DE-7, DMM, and Boss DD-2. From what I've heard of the Malekko pedals, they sound great. And for the most part I think Boss does the best job of creating swiss army knife like delays that do everything, but dont necessarily excel in one particular department.

Archived