Synths that sport 8 bit samples?

nerol1st

• Members

I though I would post this here because I will probably have better luck with this question.

I'm looking for a synth that uses 8 bit samples. I'm basically looking for commodor 64 sounds. I'm having a hard time finding a plugin specific to this that runs on OSX so now I'm searching for real synths that may have had this type of sound. Oh and I have no clue about keyboards so I'm not even sure this exists. I have heard of people modding a nintendo to play live but beyond that...

Any help is appreciated. :thu:

• Members

I have gotten the "Magical 8 bit plug" (google it) to work under Ableton live under OS X if you mute the Right channel and just use it as mono so it doesn't, umh, explode. Doesn't work in Logic, which makes me very sad.

I believe there are a few other chiptune sounding softsynths as well.

• Members

I can think of two at the top of my head. You might be able to find a Mirage sampler on Ebay from the 80's that used 8 bit samples exclusively. Also VAZ 2010 and VAZ Modular softsynths both have a decimator effect that simulates reducing the bit depth from 16 bit all the way down to 1 bit, and you can also adjust the sample rate as well. Both can be modulated too for extra coolness. :cool:

Steve

• Members

The amiga series used 8-bit samples and are also capable of sounding very chip-tuney, they cost practically bugger-all these days and all the software is pretty much free :) As for midi interfaces and all that stuff, no idea. I've never seen one but I'm sure it must exist.

• Members

I though I would post this here because I will probably have better luck with this question.

I'm looking for a synth that uses 8 bit samples. I'm basically looking for commodor 64 sounds. I'm having a hard time finding a plugin specific to this that runs on OSX so now I'm searching for real synths that may have had this type of sound. Oh and I have no clue about keyboards so I'm not even sure this exists. I have heard of people modding a nintendo to play live but beyond that...

Any help is appreciated.
:thu:

Are you just looking for a synths with 8 bit samples? Ensoniq ESQ-1, ESQ-m and SQ-80 all have 8 bit samples. Those synths will get you far more than Commodore/SID sounds though, they actually sound pretty analog.

• Members

or just run a synth through a "solid state" distortion effect.

make the synth hella basic and pulse and square waves work best. all the chip tune you need in just simple pulse waves with minimal filtering, as that's all the chip tune stuff is, pulse waves at different frequencies. doesn't much matter sound wise if they're 16 bit or 8 bit. it's the fact that everything is done with extreme frequency shifts of pulse waves that gives it that lo fi chip tune sound quality.

• Members

I don't believe you can recreate the old 8 bit machines with new software just because of the DAC. Even when you cut out the bits to make it 8 bit only, it is still a 16 or higher bit DAC using oversampling. That did not exist in the 80s.

• Members

I'm looking for a synth that uses 8 bit samples. I'm basically looking for commodor 64 sounds. I'm having a hard time finding a plugin specific to this that runs on OSX so now I'm searching for real synths that may have had this type of sound.

No need, just get Quadrasid from ReFX. Runs on macs, sounds like a commodore 64. :thu:

• Members

I don't believe you can recreate the old 8 bit machines with new software just because of the DAC. Even when you cut out the bits to make it 8 bit only, it is still a 16 or higher bit DAC using oversampling. That did not exist in the 80s.

On a scale of "being anal" from 1 to 10, where 1 is "pffff" and 10 is "my sphincter is like an event horizon"

1: being purist about analog synthesizers

3: being purist about samplers

395: being purist about soundchips in game consoles

• Members

I second the suggestions to check out the Ensoniq synths (and Mirage Sampler,) and ReFX QuadraSID.

The DOC chip (Ensoniq ESQ/SQ synths,) and SID chip were both made by the same guy, and their synthesis is very similar (with some additional functionality in the DOC chip.) I won't go into more detail here, but you can search for some of my old posts on this subject.

• Members

Kawai K1 and K1 Mark 2 I believe use 8 bit samples . Hope this helps.

Another modern approach would be the Kontakt soft-sampler, which has a Lo-Fi effect where you can dial in as few bits as you want (and a low samplerate). It can either work on each voice individually (I think e.g., ESQ-1 probably had 8-bit playback per voice and then mixed them in an analogue way), or overall.

• Members

Where do I fit into that? ;)

Though I do think you could use an 8 bit sampler, and use very short "chips" and make chip-tune sounding music for a similar effect. Still though, nothing but a SID, DOC, or good SID/DOC emulation will do if that's the exact sound you're looking for.

Here's another suggestion:

http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/

It's free, and it's a NEAR perfect (some slight filter differences as the original filter is analog,) Ensoniq SQ80 (DOC chip) emulation.

Between this and QuadraSID, you could do just about anything "Bob Yannes" :)

• Members

Even though the SID was an actual synth, there was a way you could get it to play back very brief samples, in all their unfiltered 8-bit "glory". What I don't understand is why anyone would actually WANT that. It sounds like crap.

Crap, I tells ya.

4 bit actually. It was a trick using the volume register. I can see using it for percussion these days, but then, you could just use a bit crusher at 4 bits, and then maybe add a little distortion on top of that to get a similar effect.

Archived