I kinda GASing for the Jim Root Tele (EMG & FUZZ content)

warioblast

• Members

EMG's are fine, especially if you run them at 18v. This isn't really the EMG brewtalz crowd to ask. I have no problems playing muff and octave fuzzes with the emg81.

Though for stoner metals I'd probably go with a super distortion in the bridge and a paf pro in neck. Coil tap them bitches for some fat single coil leads/riffs.

• Members

My problem with EMG's is they make everything sound the same.

Then get their EXP tone control and maybe even their EQ preamps, or maybe try using the EMG85/60 combo, or maybe two 60's....

I mean I don't use EMG's often, but they really aren't that bad if you know what your doing, and their clean tones are pretty f'ing nice. Low to mid gain tones not so much. High gain? Fah-gettaboutit'.

• Members

An EMG 81/60 combo is nice, and the 60 in the neck position is very warm and fuzz friendly. I don't see how people say that EMG's make everything sound the same, you just have to have a much softer attack on the strings to get the dynamics to ring through.

Most EMG combo's I have seen are the 81/85, and I really hate the 85, if you go with a 60 you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have a 2 vid comparison of a Gibson Les Paul w/500T/496R ceramics, Fender Strat w/sc, and an ESP Eclipse with the EMG 81/60, going from clean to all out gain.

I am at work so I can't access youtube, but my youtube username is tri99erjay, and I believe the vids are named 4IRG, and 4IRG2, the were originally done up for IRG on these boards. If you want to see the pickups in action go for it, not the best video, but it's the same riffs going through the pickup combos, all with the same amp settings.

• Members

dunno about the emgs, but that guitar is hawt.

thought about getting one. ended up getting a les paul instead. (i already have a heavily modified tele w/ hotrails and a minibucker)

what i like about this guitar is the body contouring on the backside however still "feels" like a tele when you hold it.

• Members

A Fuzzface with a switchable buffer should have no problems at all (MXR classic fuzz). You can try swapping them EMGs for EMG-Xs - said to be more dynamic, blahblahblah.

But really, I had no problems with EMG pickups when I tried guitars with them, though for stoner stuff you might want something less tight-sounding.

• Members

my problem with emgs is they are so damn compressed. For example, i learned how to do this one clean arpeggiated chord on an emg81 back when i had one. On the emg, all the notes came out relatively the same volume. You can pick softly and the emg will stil be loud. Got the riff sounding good.

Then i switch back to passives, and it sounded TERRIBLE, my volume was all over the place because i would pick softly and it would sound soft - as it should. Emg's dont allow you to get that softness of picking. But then again, if you like it to be loud and dirty all the time and not respond to how softly you pick, then all the power to ya.

I personally like it when i can pick softer for a cleaner tone, and then ahrder for dirtier, instead of having the same amount of dirt no matter how hard or soft i pick.

and whats with them sounding so boxy when you roll off volume?

Archived