anyone play lap steel?

johnnyunitas

• Members

the older they are, generally speaking, you get more bang for your buck. one of my best friends just picked up a 1940's Gibson for $250 and it sounds amazing. there are some newer decently priced laps out there, but from what I've read, older is usually better in the cheaper category...

• Members

I have one of the Gretsch kao steels. It's a lot of fun to play. I played a "country" cover gig (which really was an awful, awful gig, but that's a different story) this summer and played the lap steel on probably 20 of the 30 songs we played.

I was mostly using it to cop pedal steel sounds with a volume pedal, but I got some very nice dirty tones out of it. I was doing a lot of fourths on the A and D strings and the sound was incredibly thick. Someone told me it sounded like a distorted harmonica on a few of the songs. That made me happy.

• Members

I was thinking about getting the Peavey Powerslide, but then I took out my old slides and tried some bottleneck in open tunings.

Then I remembered that why I put the slides away. I suck at slide.

Still, for $200 the Peavey looks interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-PowerSlide-Power-Slide-Electric-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ330379214710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4cec22bf76#ht_1840wt_1167

• Members

I play one of these...

595868_800.jpg

it's pretty cheap,must whack a tele pickup into it...

Had one of these. Lap steel is pretty {censored}ing hard, with all the bar slants and stuff for different chords. A nice vintage Gibson steel is on my wish list. They are not crazy expensive either.

I play one of these...

595868_800.jpg

it's pretty cheap,must whack a tele pickup into it...

That looks like the one MF sells for ~$100.

How do the strings load / anchor on those - is it a top loader or string through the body?

Can you take a few close up pics of the bridge - especially of the back side of it where the strings (I assume) anchor? I'd really appreciate it... :)

Archived