Why don't Roger Mayer fx get mentioned much here?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

His pedals are not "board friendly" and they look terrible.

You do see a lot of people
really
into the Hendrix thing using them

This. Plus they aren't very cheap either.

There are many other builders who Build better for the money. Though with that said, I would love to have a Voodoo Vibe+.

• Members

My friend (kittycaster on here) has been through a ton of fuzz faces, and the absolute hands down best one he has is an old blue RM from the 80's. He bought it new from an ad in the back of Guitar Player. We've compared it side by side with a bunch of other pedals and it always comes out on top, it just has the mojo. The rocketship pedals don't work that well on a pedalboard, but that's not what they're designed for. They're perfect on the floor.

He also has a "stone fuzz" which sounds great. We used that one on this recording - Les Paul R9 ---> pic wah ---> RM stone fuzz ----> JMP 50w Marshall. Your's truly on bass :)

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/pgxt

• Members

The price argument is BS. They are plenty of pedals that are way more expensive than Mayer's that get a lot of talk here.

I agree that most of his pedals aren't pedalboard friendly. Though I don't care if my vision octavia takes a lot of space because it's an amazing pedal.

• Members

This. I don't really have any desire to sound like any of the prominent guitarist from 40 years ago (or any other guitarist, for that matter) so I have no idea how I'd justify the cost.

They are great pedals, I don't know if they'd automatically make you sound like anybody. Voodoo Vibe Jr. is the best vibe I've ever played and Axis Fuzz is one of the best fuzzes out there.

• Members

They are great pedals, I don't know if they'd automatically make you sound like anybody. Voodoo Vibe Jr. is the best vibe I've ever played and Axis Fuzz is one of the best fuzzes out there.

Yeah, I agree. It's a strange notion that buying an Axis Fuzz means you will only sound like guitarists of 40 years ago but if you buy a repackaged high-dollar Big Muff clone you suddenly become a tonal pioneer?!

• Members

Don't misunderstand my statement.

I simply suggested that the price is palatable to people who are inspired by people who played through original effects from the era that sounded similar. I said nothing about buying other modern equipment that also emulates that. I didn't say that was all the pedals were capable of, but nostalgia obviously plays a large role in why a guitarist might interested in them. This is true of many of the effects on the market.

In fact, my point was that for me, and the sort of music that I prefer to make, I tend to go with bells and whistles when I play through effects pedals. It's an inherent abstraction that sits between the guitar and the amp. I don't seek guitar pedals that sound organic, I tend to aim for those that sound unique of their own accord. It's just a better value proposition for my own tastes; not a slight against pedals that improve upon or copy the effects that laid the groundwork.

Those are the sorts of pedals that I'm comfortable spending $400 or $500 on. Well, more comfortable anyway :)

• Members

My friend (kittycaster on here) has been through a ton of fuzz faces, and the absolute hands down best one he has is an old blue RM from the 80's. He bought it new from an ad in the back of Guitar Player. We've compared it side by side with a bunch of other pedals and it always comes out on top, it just has the mojo. The rocketship pedals don't work that well on a pedalboard, but that's not what they're designed for. They're perfect on the floor.

He also has a "stone fuzz" which sounds great. We used that one on this recording - Les Paul R9 ---> pic wah ---> RM stone fuzz ----> JMP 50w Marshall. Your's truly on bass
:)

That sounds great.

That Axis fuzz your talking about, it wouldn't by any chance be the one in this video, would it?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Killer sounding fuzz right there.

• Members

The price argument is BS. They are plenty of pedals that are way more expensive than Mayer's that get a lot of talk here.

It's not BS (for me anyway) I've never paid that much for a pedal (the rocket ones are

• Members

i love his gear. its finally stocked down here in australia and i checked out the voodoo vibe. lovely.

its actually next on my list and will stand as my only modulation pedal.

the wah is also very incredible. there is an awesome demo on youtube...i think done by bobbyd. this is second on my list.

• Members

He also has a "stone fuzz" which sounds great. We used that one on this recording - Les Paul R9 ---> pic wah ---> RM stone fuzz ----> JMP 50w Marshall. Your's truly on bass
:)

I agree about Howard's 80s Blue Rocket Classic Fuzz it has AC128s in it and is apparently from an era when Germanium hadn't been completely picked through. This pedal puts all other fuzzes on the back burner.

• Members

I have a voodoo vibe+, and it's extremely musical,

in fact, it's almost TOO musical for my modern ears

but when i play it, i'm reminded of how great pedals can and should be instead of that "brick wall processing" that he perfectly summed up.

for recording, i couldn't imagine a better vibe or tremolo pedal.

his stuff is expensive, but worth every penny.

Archived