OT: MP3 player bricked. New MP3 player recommendations?

english_bob

• Members

So my much beloved Creative Zen bit the dust a few weeks ago (hard disk is buggered, old model isn't covered by Creative any more).

What's a good MP3 player in the +/- 20gb capacity range that won't break the bank or crap out on me?

iPod Nano 16gb seems like the obvious lazy option, but what's better / cheaperz? I keep hearing how Cowon players are badass. What's the deal?

• Members

I've liked the Sony walkman players, only 8gb though. Maybe they make a 16 not sure. But the 8 I bought for myself and the missus recently sound really good, and were like $99. No complaints, unlike my old Apple classic that died relatively quickly, with limited use and no abuse.

• Members

Same thing happened to my creative zen vision:m. It just stopped working.

In fairness, I'd been using mine pretty much every day since 2006, so I have no problem with the fact that it finally packed up, and wouldn't let that put me off another Creative player.

IRG: have Sony stopped limiting you to their proprietory player/manager software? My wife has a Sony player (NW-something, iirc), and the manager suite is {censored}ing horrible to use, and it won't connect to WMP. I'd pretty much discounted Sony players on the assumption that this was still the case...

• Members

i'm a zen vision:m guy too. do i need to worry about the thing just up and quitting on me? i would just get another one if it did, that's my recomendation. customizable EQ, mic to record ideas on the go, and i don't need itunes to get music on it.

• Members

sandisk sansa fuze 8gb(with micro sd slot) - 70-80 bucks on amazon

8gb micro sdhc card - ~15 bucks

etymotic er6is or shure e2cs in-ear monitors - ~70 bucks

equals

16gb player with excellent audio quality. sounds fabulous!

+1 on the Fuze. I've got a Creative Zen, iPod Touch and the Fuze. For audio quality and usability, the Fuze wins by a long shot. I added a Fiio headphone amp to it and its the best combo around.

Steve

Archived