WOT: Live or Be Put Down? (hurt cat content)

mikeoxlong

• Members

I adopted an injured farm cat that got hurt trying to drink from a heated cow water bin... it had cows drinking over top of it, it got wet and ended up getting frozen to part of the bin. 2 of it's feet on the same side look like they are going to fall off... i normally hate cats but this is the nicest furriest cat i have ever met.... if the feet do fall off the vet said it wont have much of a life... it can walk around at the moment, very slow but it can get around...

i just dunno what the right thing to do would be.

Tough call... If the vet can save the cat's feet, that's obviously "best". If the cat can live and get around without its feet, then maybe things will work out even if it loses them.

If the vet feels it's best to put the cat out of its misery, then I personally would give a lot of weight to their advice.

Either way, good for you for trying to help. :cool:

Mojo sent to you and the cat. :wave:

• Members
Tough call... If the vet can save the cat's feet, that's obviously "best". If the cat can live and get around without its feet, then maybe things will work out even if it loses them.

If the vet feels it's best to put the cat out of its misery, then I personally would give a lot of weight to their advice.

Either way, good for you for trying to help.
:cool:

Mojo sent to you and the cat.
:wave:

it's actually my sisters cat, i am just looking after it at the moment... she has a problem with taking in needy animals

but i actually like this cat... there are very few cats i actually like thats why i feel so bad for it and want it to live.

• Members

Yeah. Jesus. I'm a cat lover. I like them more than most people.

So sorry to hear about this. I'm with the rest of the HCFXers who say take the vet's advice.

Don't let a living thing suffer. If you can ease its suffering in any way, it's not only the humane thing to do, it's the most loving thing to do as well.

• Members

Animals can do all sorts of stuff to compensate. I saw one dog that lost it's rear legs, and now walks on it's front paws alone, like us walking on hands. I do believe there was another vid that showed a cat or dog, can't rememer, walking on it's back legs like a person because it had no front legs.

If you are willing to go to expense to help the cat overcome it's difficulty, and give it extreme amounts of patience until it possibly overcomes it's difficulty, then I will always say give life a chance, and see how it does. If the cat is totally unable to overcome the difficulty, and if the cat is in obvious pain with no hope of improvement, then put it down.

Often vets go the way they think is best for the human in terms of expenses, and they take into account that many people will not devote the time and energy to the animal it needs to truly recover, so they tell us to put them down.

• Members

they are black but the back(rear) one isn't that bad, i am hoping it's back foot will stay... they said 3 legs if can deal with... its on pain killers and can't really feel it's feet, it doesn't seem to be in pain right now, it purrs a lot and lays around... it can also still get up the stairs... i dunno

• Members

Oh, man, that's really sad.

I'm not sure about leaping to what the vet says every time, my girlfriend had an old cat with a heart condition that got pretty ill - the vet recommended putting it down, but we insisted on an operation and the cat lived pretty happily for another year. I'm not saying just go against a well experienced professional, but I'm sure the vet would agree the decision is up to you.

A quick google found me this:

"One thing cats have in their favour is an amazing sense of balance. This has resulted in cats with two amputated limbs (fore-limb and hind-limb on the same side) becoming fully mobile without the need for a cart."

And there are a couple on youtube. But this is talking about Cats without legs. If it's just the feet, I don't know man, as long as it's going to be loved and taken care of it could be fine. Would an animal like that survive in nature? Quite possibly, cat's are amazingly tough. Any idea how old it is?

If you're really unsure, a second professional opinion couldn't hurt.

• Members

Oh, man, that's really sad.

I'm not sure about leaping to what the vet says every time, my girlfriend had an old cat with a heart condition that got pretty ill - the vet recommended putting it down, but we insisted on an operation and the cat lived pretty happily for another year. I'm not saying just go against a well experienced professional, but I'm sure the vet would agree the decision is up to you.

A quick google found me this:

"One thing cats have in their favour is an amazing sense of balance. This has resulted in cats with two amputated limbs (fore-limb and hind-limb on the same side) becoming fully mobile without the need for a cart."

And there are a couple on youtube. But this is talking about Cats without legs. If it's just the feet, I don't know man, as long as it's going to be loved and taken care of it could be fine. Would an animal like that survive in nature? Quite possibly, cat's are amazingly tough. Any idea how old it is?

If you're really unsure, a second professional opinion couldn't hurt.

the cat is very young, any links to those vids?

• Members

Animals can do all sorts of stuff to compensate. I saw one dog that lost it's rear legs, and now walks on it's front paws alone, like us walking on hands. I do believe there was another vid that showed a cat or dog, can't rememer, walking on it's back legs like a person because it had no front legs.

If you are willing to go to expense to help the cat overcome it's difficulty, and give it extreme amounts of patience until it possibly overcomes it's difficulty, then I will always say give life a chance, and see how it does. If the cat is totally unable to overcome the difficulty, and if the cat is in obvious pain with no hope of improvement, then put it down.

Often vets go the way they think is best for the human in terms of expenses, and they take into account that many people will not devote the time and energy to the animal it needs to truly recover, so they tell us to put them down.

Good points.

I say that if you like the cat, and it's able to live without suffering (asides from not having feet), go for it. You'll never live with yourself afterwards if you put it down. But if the cat is in serious critical condition and there would likely be lots of brain damage and suffering, it's best to probably put it down rather than drag out it's misery.

• Members
rather than drag out it's misery.

Unfortunate choice of words, man. ;)

Cats and dogs can manage to survive almost anything. As long as it's not in pain, it'll compensate somehow. It's not like it'll have to catch its own food, right? I had a cat once and I seriously doubt it would have affected him one iota had I removed his feet, lazy thing that he was.

I wish I had a cat again. :cry:

Maybe when the baby's not a baby anymore... :idea:

Best of luck, Mike...

• Members

Unfortunate choice of words, man.
;)

Cats and dogs can manage to survive almost anything. As long as it's not in pain, it'll compensate somehow. It's not like it'll have to catch its own food, right? I had a cat once and I seriously doubt it would have affected him one iota had I removed his feet, lazy thing that he was.

All true. I mean that if it's unduly suffering, though. I've thought alot about what it means to be "alive".....surviving a shorter yet very painful or nearly unbearable amount of pain at the end of one's life though being technically alive, or whether it's just better to pull the plug. I think of the cases where someone is clinically braindead, yet they're still breathing and i'm not sure if that's the best for anyone. The will to live is an amazing thing--when you think something is done, sometimes it has alot more time left than originally thought.

• Members
Sounds like you have a possibly amazing stew in your future.

yeah if it don't survive maybe i can sell it to the Chinese restaurant down the street.... :cop:

It's not like this thing is brain damaged or completely bed ridden, its walking around and you can still play with it.... it's just it's paws smell cus they are rotting off.

I showed my sister that video and now she says she is keeping it for sure... I am confident it will adapt fine.

• Members
yeah if it don't survive maybe i can sell it to the Chinese restaurant down the street....
:cop:

It's not like this thing is brain damaged or completely bed ridden, its walking around and you can still play with it.... it's just it's paws smell cus they are rotting off.

I showed my sister that video and now she says she is keeping it for sure... I am confident it will adapt fine.

Great :thu:

That's mah good deed for the day, now I'm off to go punch an otter.

(hope all goes well man)

• Members

One of our cats "Mazzy" was rescued and had severe frost bit on her feet and head. the majority was the face and head. We adopted her with no fur on half her head and missing half an ear. She pulled through and really is one of the sweetest animals i have known.
Sorry to here and i hope it pulls through.
I have seen many farm animals ( dogs and cats) survive with three legs outdoors. so there may be a little hope.

Archived