Try to think of an effect pedal that doesn't exist

hot_karl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have this idea for a weird distortion/filter/whatever kind of thing - a digital pedal which first clips the signal, and the replaces the clipped part with a peak, and has several preset waveforms, etc. Don't have the slightest idea what it will sound like.

If you push it so that the entire wave is clipped, what you've got is a trigger signal and you basically have a wavetable synth.

the middle ground where it's not the whole wave..dunno

• Members

If you push it so that the entire wave is clipped, what you've got is a trigger signal and you basically have a wavetable synth.

the middle ground where it's not the whole wave..dunno

Hey, thanks! Never heard of it, will look it up.

I might do some drawings in Paint or whatever and post 'em to show more clearly what I mean.

• Members

Hey, thanks! Never heard of it, will look it up.

I might do some drawings in Paint or whatever and post 'em to show more clearly what I mean.

a wavetsable synth is just a TYPE of synth, not a branded product - instead of a trad oscillator that follows a charge/discharge cycle, waves are stored in a "lookup table" (a set of data that tells you what the next level should be -- so as you read down the list of levels across time -- you get the description of a wave)

for guitar, the easiest way o access these type of sounds these days would be with a pitch-to-midi convertor, either a hex unit or there are a couple of monophonic units out there now

• Members

i'm talking a stand alone pedal that just cuts your signal, just like a tuner, but all it does is cut your signal for idiots that want to sound like buckethead.

I totally built a momentary mute pedal like this a few years ago. I didn't build it to do the stupid Buckethead stuttering crap; I built it to so that I wouldn't need a noise gate to cut feedback during breaks in a song. We played really loud, so feedback was an issue most of the time. With some practice, I got really good with it to the point where I could mute stuff mid-riff and sound super tight with it.

Regarding something that probably doesn't exist but should, I would love to see a pedal version of the Plogue Rebuilder plugin. And expanded with more waveshaping function.

• Members

What exactly would this do?

I remember hooking up the envelope out of the moog filter to the moog delay

and having lots of fun. If I remember right the best thing was having it on the shortest possible delay so the envelope of my playing was changing the pitch of the guitar. Play quietly and it sounds normal and then hit the strings hard and it sounds like going crazy on the whammy bar. Definitely extreme sounding in a lot of settings.

Archived