If you had to choose a different era to be a teenager...

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... which era would you choose?

Bobby D made me think of this thread:

I was a teen in the 80s, and in college in the early 90s. I'm pretty content with that.

But if I had to choose a different era, I would choose to be a teen in the early 70s and in college in the late 70s/early 80s
:love:

Which would make you around the same age as me. :lol:

The 70s wasn't a bad time to be a teenager, although at the time, it kind of felt like we lived in the shadows of the kids who were ten years ahead of us in the 1960s.

The time I was born into is what it is, and I have to be content with that, but sometimes I think if I had just had a ten year head start, maybe fifteen, and been in the right place at the right time, maybe I could have worked on... (fill in the names of countless albums I love here). :lol:

• Members

Every single decade was bull{censored} in it's own retarded way. I'd have to venture to say whatever decade you'd want to live in depends on how much you care about personal freedom of expression/civil liberties vs. economic and intellectual status. Start in the 60's and to 2010 the economic and intellectual go down. Freedom of expression go up. Find where they intersect for you, and know that it will probably suck in some aspect, and you're going to have to live through a bunch of vomit inducing bull{censored} all around.

So yes. the correct answer is

THE FUTURE

2mrb210.jpg

• Members

Dude, what are you talking about. I have zero responsibilities other than make sure that my body doesn't smell like garbage and wake up before 2PM. Being a teenager is the greatest thing. Also, people have low expectations for you, which is the key to success! Are you a teenager now? Or did you waste your years?

Seriously. I only have one more teen year left and I am going to raaaaaaaage haaaaaaaaaard.

• Members

Dude, what are you
talking about
. I have zero responsibilities other than make sure that my body doesn't smell like garbage and wake up before 2PM. Being a teenager is the greatest thing. Also, people have low expectations for you, which is the key to success! Are you a teenager now? Or did you waste your years?

Seriously. I only have one more teen year left and I am going to
raaaaaaaage haaaaaaaaaard.

I am 17.

And I hate it.

I am confused, angry, depressed, bi polar, sexually frustrated, sexually confused, sexually not ready for sex yet, I have a heep of responsibilities and things I have to get done, I have to go to school, then army, get a drivers license, think of the future, deal with the douchebaginess of people my age and their immaturity.

I got so much {censored} going on I wish I lived my life backwards.

• Members

There will never be a time when you don't have {censored} going on in your life. The difference is how you mentally handle it. I don't know about you, but my confusion, depression, et al, was just a construct of thinking that my life was more difficult than it actually was. Once you learn that you, and you alone, make yourself feel that way, the path is a little clearer.

Wait, you're Israeli, huh? Army thing sucks. Oh well. Anyways, there's a lot of pressure on teenagers. More than ever, to be sure. But the real test of maturity is how you handle your responsibilities. It's not a question of being a man, it's a question of actually getting your brain and your thoughts together to create a positive mental attitude for yourself.

I dunno, that was at least my big breakthrough of the teen years: acknowledging that being happy is a choice instead of a destination. There's nothing really preventing you from being satisfied right now instead of yourself.

• Members

There will never be a time when you don't have {censored} going on in your life. The difference is how you mentally handle it. I don't know about you, but my confusion, depression, et al, was just a construct of thinking that my life was more difficult than it actually was. Once you learn that you, and you alone, make yourself feel that way, the path is a little clearer.

Wait, you're Israeli, huh? Army thing sucks. Oh well. Anyways, there's a lot of pressure on teenagers. More than ever, to be sure. But the real test of maturity is how you handle your responsibilities. It's not a question of being a man, it's a question of actually getting your brain and your thoughts together to create a positive mental attitude for yourself.

I dunno, that was at least my big breakthrough of the teen years: acknowledging that being happy is a choice instead of a destination. There's nothing really preventing you from being satisfied right now instead of yourself.

Yeah, except that for some reason I cant get myself to feel happy.

I can somewhat cheer myself up by telling myself "could be worse".

• Members
This. I'd rather be a teen in the mid-late 80's so that I could be 21 and old enough by the 90's
:cop:

I was. You didn't miss much.

I turned 20 in the November of 1990 so all of my teens were in the 80s. I spent my teens as a metaller too, if you imagine what Metallica/Megadeth looked like in the 80s, that was me.
Thankfully by the 90s i'd broadened my taste in music into just about everything.

I don't have any nostalgia for the 80s. It just happened to be when i was a teen.

• Members

The 70s wasn't a bad time to be a teenager, although at the time, it kind of felt like we lived in the shadows of the kids who were ten years ahead of us in the 1960s.

That makes sense. There was a whole lotta 60s nostalgia going on in the 70s - American Grafitti, Happy Days, Endless Summer, Beatlemania, and endless reruns of Gilligan's Island, My Three Sons, etc.

But I really think of 1977 as being a pinnacle in American History. I sometimes like to imagine what it would've been like to be 18 in 1977.

Archived