A Good Clean Amp

novascotia18

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As someone who enjoys a Vox product and will buy another in the future, I would not say the AC30. I don't know how loud you gig, etc., but when I think of Vox's, I don't really think they are clean, they are more of that breakupy clean where they really start to shin. I would probably be looking more towards a Twin or similar Fender in your situation.

• Members

I never thought of Vox's being clean. I would defiantly go Fender route. I got PRRI that I use as my clean amp. I don't jam with a band anymore so I have no need for loud amp. You may wanna check out Bassman head. I got Tiny Terror which I absolutely love. Not sure if you know this, but the TT is hot-rodded AC-15. I recently did a tube swap on mine I put 5751 in V2 slot and Tungsram 12ax7 in V1 and got great results. The cleans are much better and it takes pedals like a champ.

• Members

I have owned both a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Re-Issue and a Fender Twin Reverb II.

I will take the cleans from the Twin II over the cleans from the Re-Issue anyday. The II gets a bad rap because the dirt channel on it is pretty much laughable...seriously bro, it blows. However, the II is a handwired Paul Rivera design...it definitely isn't a piece of trash.

My guess would be that the Twin II is available to you at a significant discount from the price of the '74 you're looking at. I would recommend buying the II and putting the extra money into another guitar, a few stomp boxes (you'll have to buy a vibrato pedal since you're missing out on it with the II), or better yet, save it.

• Members
I never thought of Vox's being clean. I would defiantly go Fender route. I got PRRI that I use as my clean amp. I don't jam with a band anymore so I have no need for loud amp. You may wanna check out Bassman head. I got Tiny Terror which I absolutely love. Not sure if you know this, but the TT is hot-rodded AC-15. I recently did a tube swap on mine I put 5751 in V2 slot and Tungsram 12ax7 in V1 and got great results. The cleans are much better and it takes pedals like a champ.

Tungsol pre's and Mullard power section...try it. :wave:

• Members

I have owned both a Fender '65 Twin Reverb Re-Issue
and
a Fender Twin Reverb II.

I will take the cleans from the Twin II over the cleans from the Re-Issue anyday. The II gets a bad rap because the dirt channel on it is pretty much laughable...seriously bro, it blows. However, the II is a handwired Paul Rivera design...it definitely isn't a piece of trash.

My guess would be that the Twin II is available to you at a significant discount from the price of the '74 you're looking at. I would recommend buying the II and putting the extra money into another guitar, a few stomp boxes (you'll
have
to buy a vibrato pedal since you're missing out on it with the II), or better yet, save it.

Actually the II is 100 more because it's in significantly better shape, the 74 is pretty beat to {censored}, still works perfectly just has a lot of road wear, not too concerned about vibrato anyway been rocking an empress trem

• Members

Speaking of the Vox AC30's "breakup-y clean", I wonder how it would sound to run a Vox AC-30 on slight edge of breakup but still relatively clean, alongside a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 with its chorus switched on?

I have the Jazz Chorus, now all I need is an AC30...

Archived