New Camera Day!

Aaron SS

• Members

I finally got my Pentax K-X and I'm loving it :love:

Here are a few shots but keep in mind this is my first DSLR and I have really no idea what I'm doing when it comes to anything other then point and shoot.

IMGP0995.jpg

IMGP1047.jpg

IMGP1057.jpg

IMGP1011.jpg

I'll upload a video in a little bit.

I must say for the price I got it for ($480 brand new) I'm extremely happy and I'm sure I'll be even happier when I learn how to use everything. :thu:

• Members

Congratulations. I think your off to a good start.

I hope you don't mind, but I was curious to see if I could pull some more detail out of your first shot in Photoshop. While I did kinda take it extreme, I wanted you to see how you can recover underexposed shots.

4423639338_dc009060f7.jpg

• Members

ok just to explain metering a bit,

see you first shot of the cat,the way that behind the cat is quite bright but as the cat is in shadow it's come out quite dark?

this is because the camera has looked at the whole scene and averaged the light levels across the whole shot to try and get the best all round shot it can

whats happening is the camera can't tell what you want the emphasis on,so it trys to record a bit of everything pretty well,rather than one area perfect

but if you select spot metering,you can select the exact point you want to be perfectly exposed to the light

usually it's symbol kinda like this [?] one the camera to select it

the camera will then meter from the centre point of the photo,so in this case the cats face would have been the objective to meter off

that way the face is the part that's correctly lit,

it also doesn't have to be just something in the dead centre of the shot either.using the AE-L button on the back of the camera (right about where your right hand thumb is),you can lock the light reading

so you can take the reading from an object in the centre,then hold that button down,then move the camera to frame the shot as you like (for example move the cat's face more to the foreground etc

post edited to make things a bit clearer!

• Members

the camera will then meter from the centre point of the photo,so in this case the cats face would have been the objective to meter off

that way the face is the part that's correctly lit,

it also doesn't have to be just something in the dead centre of the shot either.using the AE-L button on the back of the camera (right about where your right hand thumb is),you can lock the light reading

so you can take the reading from an object in the centre,then hold that button down,then move the camera to frame the shot as you like (for example move the cat's face more to the foreground etc

I appreciate the explanation, makes sense.

• Members

your picture of the amp.

try upping the Aperture. that looks to be 3.5. you'll notice the focus point is extremely shallow. bump it to 11 and you'll notice a huge difference of what is in focus.

Thanks for the advice.

As you can see in almost all the pix I posted I really like that shallow focus point look. :idk: I'm no pro though.

• Members

Tomorrow.

I have piss poor lighting at the moment.

One thing about lighting. The camera's sensor only picks up light.

The way to determine the exposure is a combination of three things: ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.

For example, the photo below was exposed for 7 seconds in a pitch black room with nothing on except the tv.

But the camera picks up all of the light from the TV, and everything it has bounced off of.

Just the tip of the iceberg, but knowledge to be learned.

b7dg82.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the advice.

As you can see in almost all the pix I posted I really like that shallow focus point look.
:idk:
I'm no pro though.

just something you have to practice with. and it changes a bit with higher end glass. Sharper bokeh, and crisper edges..

All in all best advice i can give. Shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Light room or Aperture for post editing. I like lightroom. Easier, faster, better looking. And its about 1/10th of the required power.

For instance, aperture 3 right now is completely hogging all power.

Lr3 is instant fixes.

• Members

One thing about lighting. The camera's sensor only picks up light.

The way to determine the exposure is a combination of three things: ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.

For example, the photo below was exposed for 7 seconds in a pitch black room with nothing on except the tv.

But the camera picks up all of the light from the TV, and everything it has bounced off of.

Just the tip of the iceberg, but knowledge to be learned.

b7dg82.jpg

damn, 7 seconds.. lol

I'd invest in a flash friend.

• Members

Should have got a Nikon :cop:

You'll start to understand the concepts of photography such as ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and composition in the next couple of weeks. Soon you'll start to take great pictures and you'll even see your progression. For now, stay off Auto!

• Members

Should have got a Nikon
:cop:
You'll start to understand the concepts of photography such as ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and composition in the next couple of weeks. Soon you'll start to take great pictures and you'll even see your progression. For now, stay off Auto!

I didn't want to go used and the camera was really a steal for the price ($480 :eek:)

Archived