Old School HC's

MoreBeer

• Members

I was wondering if you guys would be able to tell me why Harmony Central quit hosting guitar tabs?

When I first started playing guitar I remember coming here for the best tabs. There were tons! I have been playing for 16 years now so it has definitely been quite a while ago that this took place but I have yet to find a tab site as good as this place use to be.

• Members

probably copy write issues... idk i still use ultimate guitar. usually i can take 2 or 3 of the tabs people have put up and kinda merge teh good parts to get a good idea of how to play the tunes. i didnt even know HC used to host tabs :p

• Members

yeah, the OLGA was why i came to HC in the first place when i started playing.

i don't use any one place for tabs nowadays; i just google the song and see what gets thrown up.

OLGA. There we go. The online guitar archive. I was trying to think of that word for my original post. That is the reason I came to HC as well.

I don't use tabs a whole lot because most are incredibly inaccurate but I loved when I could come here and find whatever. I always though the ones on HC were the most accurate at the time.

• Members

tab sites seem to go down all the time because of copyright stuff, It's just the name of the internet game

yeah, all the tab sites are mirror sites for most stuff.

so many songs i've been looking for but all i can find is like 12 sites all with the same wrong tab.

I was wondering if you guys would be able to tell me why Harmony Central quit hosting guitar tabs?

When I first started playing guitar I remember coming here for the best tabs. There were tons! I have been playing for 16 years now so it has definitely been quite a while ago that this took place but I have yet to find a tab site as good as this place use to be.

Copyright concerns / issues.

Last I heard, they're trying to work something out regarding that, but I have no idea what the current status is. :idk:

yeah, all the tab sites are mirror sites for most stuff.

so many songs i've been looking for but all i can find is like 12 sites all with the same wrong tab.

Funny, I ran into that myself just last night. I went to look for a tab on something to try to confirm just one or two notes that I wasn't sure if I was hearing quite right... and the tab sites I did find ALL had the exact same tab, from the exact same source / creator; most only had the chord chords, and a few had the "main riff" of the song... and even when they did, they were all wrong. :freak:

I hate tab for a variety of reasons. It's a bit less than natural for me to "read" it, since I learned to read music before learning to read tab. It doesn't show rhythmic values, which sucks too. And finally, they're nearly always wrong to a greater or lesser degree, and anyone with any kind of developed ear is usually able to hear that they are, and get closer to playing the song "right" by ear than they could if they relied solely on the mistaken tab.

IOW, for me, tabs are a complete waste of time in the vast majority of cases... but they're still very popular with people, and people want to have them, so if it can be done, I know it's something we'd like to be able to do here at HC.

Archived