OT: I'm up for a $25K award... what should I buy if I win?

jhamnett

• Members

Actually, this isn't a half bad idea....

I'd find what's missing in your life? Still driving that '89 honda civic hatchback? New (actually used, but low mileage) Honda Fit. Still got a 19 inch CRT TV? Wait another year and pick up a 46inch LED LCD HDTV for a grand.

Actually, you're only going to have around $15K after taxes, and what you're doing now - counting your chickens before they hatch - is a really bad idea.

Down payment for house? It's actually a really good time to buy a house.

Yeah, I know I'm counting my chickens... not sure if it's $25K after taxes or before, actually. Anyway, I was the TA for the selection committee head's son last semester and a good word was put in :thu:

Oh, and I do have a 50" plasma from when I did have a job. No need to upgrade there :D

Driving a 1986 Toyota Camry and that's something I could upgrade. I'm considering buying a new car and then keeping the rest in investments so that in a year I could have more money to buy more gear. Used to work for a dealership too, so I might get a deal on a new ride :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Silver. The $ is going to tank sooner or later and you'll need something to barter with after 2012.

GOOD GOD THIS IS BAD ADVICE.

At the farmer's market in my small little burgh, there's money changers. There are guys that will exchange $20 bills, us legal tender for all debts public and private, for silver and gold coins that are not legal tender, and are only worth their weight in gold.

Everyone is selling their gold. Proof? Look at all the Cash4Gold ads on TV. There's 'gold exchanges' - people buying fillings and old rings - in hotel conference rooms around town every weekend.

So it sounds like gold (and silver) is doing pretty good, right?

Wrong. Everybody is comfortable with it. Everyone has a grandma selling the wedding ring her widow gave her for a few hundred dollars, and buying these 'liberty dollars' with that money. It makes no sense.

When was the last time everyone was comfortable with investing in ONE thing? Well, around 2000, it was the stock market. That turned out well. A few years ago, it was banks being comfortable investing in sub-prime mortgages. That turned out well, also.

If everyone is comfortable with investing in something, that's the time to get out, because the bottom is going to drop out real quick.

I'd buy land. Real Estate. Something, but god, not metals.

If you're thinking apocalyptic, bullets are the ultimate barter item:

'Gimme that food.'

'no.'

'I'll trade you a bullet.'

'no'

*Bang*

'Yay. I just traded one bullet for 20 pounds of rice'

• Members

Actually, if you're willing to work 40-50 hours a week, day trading.

I know what you're saying... 50 hours? The NYSE isn't even open 40 hours a week! What's up with that!

That's the point. Research. Make day trading your job. You could double your money in a year, if you make it your job. Stock market is kinda down right now, so people aren't comfortable getting into it. Double your money one year, double it the next, and the next, and by then the market will be bangin, and you get out.

• Members

Poor grad student talking here. Sorry, but I kinda need to be a bit selfish on this one...

If you are actually thinking about blowing the cash on guitar gear, you aren't poor. Pay off your student loans, if you don't have student loans, you aren't poor. Put it in a 401K or savings for a house, if you already have a 401K or home, you aren't poor.

Now, I'll get off my high horse. Take 2K and buy that guitar/amp you've always wanted and see above.

• Members

If you are actually thinking about blowing the cash on guitar gear, you aren't poor. Pay off your student loans, if you don't have student loans, you aren't poor. Put it in a 401K or savings for a house, if you already have a 401K or home, you aren't poor.

Now, I'll get off my high horse. Take 2K and buy that guitar/amp you've always wanted and see above.

That's the thing, I'm sensible. I know I won't blow it on every guitar/amp I've ever wanted... but also, there's no way I'm buying a house while still at school. It's uncertain where I'll be in a year.

I have a 401K from a previous job, so I got that, but could always add to it. I'm sure I'll hear some of that from my dad, he's a CPA...

Right now a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 halfstack and the hot rodded Tele are the best bets.

• Members

If you've got all that gear and 25k, I'd probably invest in a couple new Skreddy pedals and spend the rest on traveling.

Umm... already have a free flight to Europe for after I finish my thesis. Also, I'm happy with my Muff, OD, and delay situation, so no real need for Skreddy, although his products are highly impressive.

Archived