OT- How bad does Vista suck?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In all fairness the search functionality of Vista is far, far better than any other OS I've ever used.

Ironically, you picked one of the main features of Vista that I can't live with. Depending on how you use search, it's actually completely screwed. It basically REQUIRES you to index things before it will search them properly. A good example is a *.* (all files) search, with the text string you want to find (the "containing text" field under XP) on a non-indexed partition. It'll returns results all right, but it doesn't search all the files! So you can't believe the results. It expects you to index a drive.

Finally, I found the blog for the people who developed search in Vista ( http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/pages/advanced-search-techniques.aspx ) and realized I was NOT alone in noticing their search was broken. There is no fix for certain searches.. it simply won't find the stuff. XP does. MS chose to optimize for speed over accuracy. Shame they don't provide a way to default back to the XP search..

• Members

even better than grep? are you sure?

Maybe he doesn't use UNIX-like operating systems.

Grep alone doesn't have the breadth of Spotlight or BeOS' search, though. You need to use it in tandem with other binaries to search, say, ID3 tags filenames - at least that was the case last time I used Linux on the desktop.

• Members

This isn't a knowledge contest, it's a simple "how long am I tapping my fingers waiting" evaluation.

In Vista, I am generally presented with the files I'm looking for on my fourth typed character. Instantaneous compared to the untold waits I can get with XP. "Index the drive" must have been a Vista default because search was working 100% from moment one.

Kooki: It's fun to know all kinds of operating systems and pontificate about how they compare. At the end of the day, I'd still be using unix if it had any applicability to making money in my field.

[Edit: WTH is going on here - I'm defending Vista? And to my comment above I will amend that Vista is only about 75% of the way to being something I can do real work with.]

• Members

Just as a partial aside, I think part of Vista's problem isn't with the OS itself, but with all the crapware that comes with a new system.

I recently bought a new HP laptop to replace my Toshiba, and of course, if came with Vista. There was a metric {censored} ton of crapware on it, and it took me an entire evening to remove it all, or at least those things that I knew I didn't need. There was still some stuff on there that I wasn't entirely sure about.

Back when MS was still working on Longhorn (before it was called Vista), they threatened that new systems were going to be clean; No trial software, no add-on baloney, but apaprently the OEMs made such a stink about it that MS caved on it. I sure wish they hadn't.

• Members
Yeah, but if
Snow Leopard
lives up to its promises, then {censored}'s gonna get real.

It's not making headlines, but Snow Leopard is supposed to have full read/write support for ZFS file systems.

Apple was actually pretty lucky. Their user base was faltering, which gave them plenty of opportunity to tweak NeXT into OSX and start from scratch.

Unfortunately, that's what Microsoft needs to do. Throw Windows out and start from scratch. But the infrastructure is so entrenched, things will most likely just keep getting more bloated. :(

Shame, really.

• Members

Kooki: It's fun to know all kinds of operating systems and pontificate about how they compare. At the end of the day, I'd still be using unix if it had any applicability to making money in my field.

you do realize os X is just a glossy shiny layer on top of a version of BSD right?

• Members

Just as a partial aside, I think part of Vista's problem isn't with the OS itself, but with all the crapware that comes with a new system.

I recently bought a new HP laptop to replace my Toshiba, and of course, if came with Vista. There was a metric {censored} ton of crapware on it, and it took me an entire evening to remove it all, or at least those things that I knew I didn't need. There was still some stuff on there that I wasn't entirely sure about.

Back when MS was still working on Longhorn (before it was called Vista), they threatened that new systems were going to be clean; No trial software, no add-on baloney, but apaprently the OEMs made such a stink about it that MS caved on it. I sure wish they hadn't.

Perhaps that's why I've never had a real problem with it - always installed Vista64 fresh and went right to SP1.

• Members

I'm not a computer expert, but Vista has beenrunning well on my Sony Vaio laptop.

Just put Cubase LE 4 with Presonus Firepod....and it's working great so far, though I haven't tested it with 8 full tracks yet.

I do shut off all the programs I can, including wireless, firewall, Adaware, etc.

Archived