OT- How bad does Vista suck?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And I was laughing so hard as I wrote my post knowing your panties would skyrocket!

Uh huh. Just like I post knowing full well I'm feeding the troll with his 'tard talk. But I bow down to your super duper 5-computer-owning wisdom :)

I am truly amazed at how much you have written...

When I disagree with someone I'll sometimes (shock) actually give details why rather than just type a "but its teh sux0rs" response like yourself. Plus I type fast, and it's my minutes to waste. Perhaps you'd have more time to waste in other ways too, if you didn't own 5 computers? :)

But AWESOME you wins teh internet.

And you win the pointless troll post award :)

Not really of course- you can attempt to quote all the BS you like, but you again - as far as application goes- not a CLUE!

Uh huh. Whereas you've certainly shown otherwise, haven't you? ;)

• Members

That's because, outside of improving OS stability and security, there isn't much at all
:)

Yes and no. :) Good 64 bit support will be pretty cool for certain applications, once things mature. Remember, the 16 bit to 32 bit transition was pretty painful, too. And the Macintosh is a much more closed system than Windows, yet I understand there's even issues with Mac OS Leopard. (Admittedly, *much* less than Vista.)

But I'm personally staying away from Vista. Too many dumbed-down pop-ups aimed to protect the casual user from themselves. Too many pretty graphics slowing things down.

• Members

But I'm personally staying away from Vista. Too many dumbed-down pop-ups aimed to protect the casual user from themselves. Too many pretty graphics slowing things down.

All of which can be disabled. In fact, you can totally turn off Aero and run Vista with the "classic" Windows UI.

• Members
All of which can be disabled. In fact, you can totally turn off Aero and run Vista with the "classic" Windows UI.

But the problem for DAW usage is you can't change the new driver situation. Vista still causes large performance hits (in the region of maybe 20-40% depending on the software) when you push down below 6ms latency, and Microsofts WaveRT workarounds don't seem to give much of it back. Eventually, when it's 16 core CPU's, nobody will care much. But 30% less plugins is a big deal right now. When you go above 6ms the difference reduces to maybe 10% if you switch the Aero GUI off.. IE enough not to matter much. So, for mixing, Vista's fine. But if you're using a bunch of VST synths it's really not so good. (Btw, as an aside, It's also interesting to see how much more performance Reaper appears to squeeze from a multi-core system than apps like Sonar or Cubase right now.. the differences can be equally huge.. )

• Members

I run a dual-boot OS with Vista64 and XP32. XP is the dedicated audio OS, and runs stable and smooth as it should.

I use Vista64 for everything else, and have never experienced any real problems. At least, no problems that a worth a passionate, hate fueled internet diatribe.

On the whole, I think the 'Vista Experience' is nicer than the 'XP Experience' - its snappier, generally better organized, looks a lot nicer, etc. Vista isnt really all that much of a 'resource hog' if you're running it on a modern machine.

But honestly, all i want an OS to do is be a stable platform for my applications - I would have rather seen MS reduce the footprint and make the OS more efficient. Instead, they tried to make an OS for everyone, and then release several different versions of it...

IMO, M$ has enough resources to take the hit and make things right...they've been pretty good at giving customers what they want on most fronts (Xbox, Visual Studio, Zune, etc) , I'm sure Windows will follow suit.

• Members

Instead, they tried to make an OS for everyone, and then release several different versions of it... IMO, M$ has enough resources to take the hit and make things right...they've been pretty good at giving customers what they want on most fronts (Xbox, Visual Studio, Zune, etc) , I'm sure Windows will follow suit.

Some of those products you mention were started as semi-independent development groups inside Microsoft, left to do their own thing. Some people use them as evidence that Microsofts best work is done when they break things down into smaller groups, so they should split the Windows division and have something like a business and consumer version of the OS, since the aims of both are fairly different. It's true that a lot of the code in Vista is stuff most consumers will never use..

As for different versions, there's only really 32 & 64 bit of course. They just enable or disable a few things depending on what version you select at install time. But it is pretty dumb marketing, if nothing else..

• Members
Sorry. Win 7 will promise much, and deliver little. Most new features will end up getting dropped just like they did for Vista, and all Win 7 will end up being is Vista SP3.

You're wrong.. ..It'll be more like Vista SP2 perhaps ;):D Windows 7 started out with big ideas. They've already been ditched because MS doesn't want to leave it so long between OS versions, as they did with XP and Vista. Windows 7 will likely be launched at some point in the later half of 2009, or early 2010 at the latest. MS have already decided that they couldn't make the deadline, so instead of saying all this stuff, and then failing to ship a product on time, they're leaving it until the version of Windows after Windows 7, which would probably mean about 2012-ish before we see anything that's much different from Vista..

• Members

IMHO, Microsoft's ability to build a modern OS is nil. They are too hidebound and saddled with backward compatibility issues.

In addition, even if they still have capable OS architects on staff (which I doubt), they will never again get the freedom or the timeframe granted to Cutler when he architected NT (which for a brief moment was actually a fairly clean OS).

Remember how Apple could NOT invent a preemptive multitasking OS on their own? And finally gave in and used the *nix core? Again IMO, Microsoft is too bloated to reinvent Windows, cut it down, make it modular, etc.

In a few years, those of us who still need to run Windows may very well be doing so inside a virtual environment running in some other OS.

• Members

That would 'Change Everything'(tm)
:lol:

It really would - Ive used OSX before and think its pretty cool, but I like building my own computers and dont want to pay for Apple's overpriced hardware. I also can not stand to be within 50ft of anything called a 'genius bar'...:D

While OSx86 seems to work fine on the right configuration, I'd rather have something legitimate and supported by the manufacturer.

• Members
In a few years, those of us who still need to run Windows may very well be doing so inside a virtual environment running in some other OS.

I agree.. but that OS might be a new Microsoft OS that emulates the old Windows. It's the only way I can see them moving forward whilst staying compatible.. Build a whole new OS, but make a Windows emulator inside it..

• Members

It really would - Ive used OSX before and think its pretty cool, but I like building my own computers and dont want to pay for Apple's overpriced hardware. I also can not stand to be within 50ft of anything called a 'genius bar'...
:D

While OSx86 seems to work fine on the right configuration, I'd rather have something legitimate and supported by the manufacturer.

I hear ya. I run both Mac OS and Windows XP.

The Mac Mini is the only machine I buy from Apple.

• Members

At work where we do Windows development, we have to run Vista, even if only for testing.

We all hate it.

While XP has it's faults, I don't think Vista brings anything compelling to the table to make it more desirable. Microsoft screwed-up with Vista, as far as I'm concerned.

What I'd love for them to do (but it'll never happen) is to strip the OS of all the add-ons, gadgets, helpers, services, wizards, etc, etc, and make it small, tight and rock-solid. They had this for a brief while with NT.

• Members

I agree.. but that OS might be a new Microsoft OS that emulates the old Windows. It's the only way I can see them moving forward whilst staying compatible.. Build a whole new OS, but make a Windows emulator inside it..

With modern hardware technology that is certainly achievable, and something they really should consider.

While XP has it's faults, I don't think Vista brings anything compelling to the table to make it more desirable. Microsoft screwed-up with Vista, as far as I'm concerned.

Im right there with you - we have to use Vista for SoftwareQA as well, I always just run it in a VM as I can't afford to strap a work machine down with it.

I actually do like Vista...everything except my audio interface runs great on it, and you can turn off most of the annoying stuff. I dont like the direction its going in though -bigger, more bloated more features Ill never use, etc.

• Members

In all fairness the search functionality of Vista is far, far better than any other OS I've ever used.

It really is - a lot of things about Vista are really cool. But many of them go unnoticed because of the perceived flaws.

Archived