Effectology How to recreate "Doctor Who" on Guitar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you guys dig this I highly suggest tracking down a copy of Alchemists of Sound. It's a documentary on the BBC sound engineers who created the Dr. Who theme as well as all the music for BBC for a long time. They were true pioneers of modern music.

• Members
I downloaded all the episodes from the original Doctor Who series (nearly 200 GB
:eek:
), and have been going through them the last few weeks. Funny they just resurrected the Silurians in the new Dr Who, as I just finished watching the original Silurians story arc, with Jon Pertwee. The FX have really moved on, but there's something about the classic series that's still hard to beat.

I know those torrents well... :D

The revamped Silurians seem very disappointing compared to the originals. They seem like really generic aliens now whereas the original Silurians had far greater characterisation. It was the same with the Sontarans though when they came back.

Have you watched The Power of Kroll yet? That's a crazy hoot. Tom Baker's era is segmented into three parts for me. There's the first part, Seasons 12 to 14 where the BBC allowed the producers some budget and you had Robert Holmes producing absolute brilliance, everything from Genesis of the Daleks with Michael Wisher untouchable as Davros, the Robots of Death, Pyramids of Mars, and ending with the brilliance that is The Talons of Weng-Chiang. Seasons 15 and 17 saw the budget being cut and the campy humour really came on. Then you have Baker's final season when John Nathan-Turner started up. The first three Baker seasons really are fabulous.

• Members
If you guys dig this I highly suggest tracking down a copy of Alchemists of Sound. It's a documentary on the BBC sound engineers who created the Dr. Who theme as well as all the music for BBC for a long time. They were true pioneers of modern music.

Just a Youtube link away... :)

cKPGzX5kZd0

• Members
Someone should make Murray Gold watch it and tell him 'Now that's how to do it'. The current Who music is bloody awful.

One day I will have an EHX Board for random odd stuff.

this a million times this they turned it in to a generic orchestral scifi theme :facepalm: just like they did visually

the new ginger side kick came in to my work the other day i was like
:eek::love:;):cool::poke::cop: then she left and I was :cry:

• Members
I know those torrents well...
:D

The revamped Silurians seem very disappointing compared to the originals. They seem like really generic aliens now whereas the original Silurians had far greater characterisation. It was the same with the Sontarans though when they came back.

Have you watched The Power of Kroll yet? That's a crazy hoot. Tom Baker's era is segmented into three parts for me. There's the first part, Seasons 12 to 14 where the BBC allowed the producers some budget and you had Robert Holmes producing absolute brilliance, everything from Genesis of the Daleks with Michael Wisher untouchable as Davros, the Robots of Death, Pyramids of Mars, and ending with the brilliance that is The Talons of Weng-Chiang. Seasons 15 and 17 saw the budget being cut and the campy humour really came on. Then you have Baker's final season when John Nathan-Turner started up. The first three Baker seasons really are fabulous.

I saw Power of Kroll and Genesis of the Daleks a while back on DVD, classic Who :thu: Tom Baker is amazing as the Doctor, probably my favourite. I agree that the revamps seem to lack something and are a bit bland in comparison. The current season has been OK and shows promise. I do like Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, and hope they both get a decent run on the show.

• Members

hey, welcome to hcfx

Yeah, I know. For some reason I feel a little sus on the effectologies these days. It would take someone here to have all these pedals, set them as as is demonstrated, record it and post it here to prove that Yeah, you can convincingly make these sounds if you have a dozen ehx pedals. Then I'd be impressed again.

It's like somone with a million piece lego set building a replica of ancient Sumeria and saying Hey you can too! Sure I can.

• Members

Yeah, I know. For some reason I feel a little sus on the effectologies these days. It would take someone here to have all these pedals, set them as as is demonstrated, record it and post it here to prove that Yeah, you can convincingly make these sounds if you have a dozen ehx pedals. Then I'd be impressed again.

It's like somone with a million piece lego set building a replica of ancient Sumeria and saying Hey you can too! Sure I can.

Most of the guys around here have way more pedals than the guys in the video

Archived