Opinions on Jekyll & Hyde?

amarr1

• Members

Yeah, that Christian Hillsong guy plays one, now gimme information that is actually useful. Anyone play one? Likes/dislikes? Differences between versions? Is the silver one the one to get? Thanks.

lg_v2jh.jpg

VisualsoundJekyll.jpg

UndeadOverload09034.jpg

• Members

I used to have the silver one. The overdrive side is great, but the distortion side is hard to get dialed in, at least in my experience. Also, I got frustrated that the stacking order was dist -> OD, I always wanted it the other way around. I dunno, I wouldn't get it again. Maybe the later versions are better.

• Members

I used to have the silver one. The overdrive side is great, but the distortion side is hard to get dialed in, at least in my experience. Also, I got frustrated that the stacking order was dist -> OD, I always wanted it the other way around. I dunno, I wouldn't get it again. Maybe the later versions are better.

Hm, from what I've read the OD side is like a tube screamer and the distortion side is the Hyde. If so, do not want. Not that I hate the tube screamer sound or anything, I'm just looking for something different.

• Members

I've heard and felt similarly. The OD was good, but the Distortion...not so much. I was also disappointed with the order of OD => Dist.

• Members

Back when they first came out, I really wanted one but have still never played one in person.

I'm less interested in it these days: I don't really get on with tubescreamers, and I've read that the distortion side is based on the Marshall Shredmaster - and I don't like the Shredmaster.

The dist -> OD order is a bit off-putting too.

• Members

sounds good, doesnt really sparkle for me, just cant get it to shine

one major con is the volume issue i cant seem to get the settings right so that od, dist and od+dist sound similar.

great pedal though, it just seems to be at 90% all the time, i really cant explain it

for the money though, its good

7/10 from me

this is the mkII by the way, the one in the top pic

• Members

sounds good, doesnt really sparkle for me, just cant get it to shine

one major con is the volume issue i cant seem to get the settings right so that od, dist and od+dist sound similar.

great pedal though, it just seems to be at 90% all the time, i really cant explain it

for the money though, its good

7/10 from me

this is the mkII by the way, the one in the top pic

That sucks, primarily because stacking dirts is what I do.

• Members

The grey box has been my go-to dirt pedal for over eight years now. The Jekyll side is a modded TS-808 sort of overdrive. The Hyde I haven't been able to figure out yet, but I haven't tried the Marshall Shredmaster to check.

I absolutely love my J&H, though. I use both channels for solo boosts. I haven't tried the newer versions, but they can't be bad. Check out the pedal shootouts on Youtube:

Jekyll Side (Route 808 when it's a standalone)

[YOUTUBE]ZMy_Jt7A1wA[/YOUTUBE]

Hyde Side (Son of Hyde)

[YOUTUBE]xt8PzSQJeBI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

There are two versions of the silver one. The one you posted are supposed to be really noisy.

Truth, the Hyde side is very noisy, the TS side though is less noisy. Stacking them together is impossible due to the noise.

a.jpg

Mine looks really cool though. :cool:

• Members

There are two versions of the silver one. The one you posted are supposed to be really noisy.

That one in the pic is mine, and it's REAL noisy! But, it's OD is real nice, plays well with my Bad Monkey.

I have yet to try a Decimator on it. The one in the pic is actually a demo unit they were passing out at NAMM one year log ago. It sat around the office for a while, till one co-worker took it home. Then he sold it to me for $30.

• Members

I just use my NS-2 and the J&H is whisper quiet, even with both channels on. Signal to noise ratio is still high enough to be usable, but what else would you expect when stacking gain into gain? About once every few months, I click on both J&H channels, my Dano TOD, compressor, delay, and rock the wah for a few licks... just for the epic stature of it all.

• Members

I thought I heard something about the latest version having a built-in noise gate? I've been playing around with a Shredmaster clone recently and it doesn't quite hold up to my Crunch Box. That in itself makes a Jekyll and Hyde unnecessary for me.

• Members

I've owned both the V1 (Red) Jekyll & Hyde, and the V2 Route 66.

Yes, the OD side is definitely a tubescreamer - don't expect anything else. It does have some character to it, but it's still a tubescreamer. And that's not a bad thing. It's actually a nice tubescreamer, and does a great job for leads.

The distortion side isn't nearly as usable IMO. If you just want some extra nastiness, it'll get you there, but that's about it IMO.

• Members

I thought I heard something about the latest version having a built-in noise gate? I've been playing around with a Shredmaster clone recently and it doesn't quite hold up to my Crunch Box. That in itself makes a Jekyll and Hyde unnecessary for me.

V2 has a built in noise gate, but I've never used it.

I love my Blues Pro for a standalone overdrive- definitely a different tone than the Jekyll side, and probably more versatile. I'm intentionally staying away from the Crunch Box because I don't want to like anything more than my J&H, and I worry that the two MI Audio pedals would make it obsolete. :thu:

• Members

I've owned all three. I think the newest one sounds the best for the following reasons;

1. The built in noise gate, which could be turned off if you like.

2. Supposedly, there were no changes to the distortion side, but it does sound warmer to me.

3. The tube screamer side has more range on the drive. It could clean up real well to act as a clean boost which is a plus for me. I would use the distortion side as my main rythm and the drive side as a clean, slightly dirty boost for leads.

Personally, I prefer stacking an overdrive after distortion for leads than the other way around. Cuts through better and fatter. They're pretty good pedals, if your looking for a 2 in 1 pedal. I think they sound better than the GT-500 and the Xotic Plus pedals, but then again, I don't like pedals that sound too "nice". The Jekyll and Hyde is not a nice sounding pedal, which makes it perfect for anything from gritty blues to heavy rock.

My main setup is a RAT going into a Sparkle Drive. So you can see why I always like the Jekyll and Hyde. I don't have one anymore, only because I always fall back on the RAT and Sparkle drive for my gigging needs.

• Members

I would also go on to say that it's an 808/Rat in one box.

I like mine. It's a great pedal, with a TON of great sounds in it. Check out their website for a listing of a bunch of settings to give a whirl. Also, get the new v2 if at all. Sturdier casing with the extra optional noise gate.

That said, between my Keeley TS9, and the drive channel on my amp, I dn't use it much. It might just be time for me to part ways with it.

Archived