Digidesign Eleven Rack

Rizza

• Members

I hadn't heard about before I read about in a magazine today.

I've listened to some clips, and most of them sound pretty good. It seems like it could be a cheaper alternative to the Axe-Fx.

Has anyone tried it or heard good/bad things about it?

• Members

I hadn't heard about before I read about in a magazine today.

I've listened to some clips, and most of them sound pretty good. It seems like it could be a cheaper alternative to the Axe-Fx.

Has anyone tried it or heard good/bad things about it?

I've heard it at it's debut at a local music shop here in Italy and it seemed pretty good to me, even if I'm not a great fan of these things!

You can't use it in conjunction with another Digidesign interface on the same computer, so people are not as likely to buy it as a guitar-centric "addition" to their existing Pro Tools rigs. As a stand alone audio interface, it is much less fully equipped in terms of inputs and outputs as a standard Digi 003 rack unit, so for someone who wanted to record a full band demo, it's probably insufficient in terms of I/O. The Digidesign Eleven amp sim plugin CAN run on any Digideisgn / M-Audio Pro Tools interface, so again, the Eleven Rack unit kind of seems like a product without a niche - at least to me. :idk:

• Members

You can't use it in conjunction with another Digidesign interface on the same computer

All of the parameters are accessible from the front panel, so you use it like any other piece of hardware. I'm not sure about mixing and matching HD interfaces and LE interfaces on the same computer, but if that's your issue you're in a pretty small minority of users.

All of the parameters are accessible from the front panel, so you use it like any other piece of hardware. I'm not sure about mixing and matching HD interfaces and LE interfaces on the same computer, but if that's your issue you're in a pretty small minority of users.

If you want to forgo the DAW audio interface features and strictly use it as an amp sim, then yes, you can use it like that and feed its output into another audio interface for recording purposes... what you can't do is utilize it, along side of your Digi 003 Rack (or Mbox or HD rig or whatever...) as a secondary audio interface dedicated to guitar amp simulation / recording, and as an I/O expander.

Again, I don't really see a huge advantage to doing it that way when you can run Eleven (the software amp sim plugin) with any existing Digidesign or PT compatible M-Audio interface, although some guitarists are bound to appreciate the Eleven Rack's front panel "hardware human interface" paradigm; especially if they want to use it for live performances / gigs.

• Members

I see your points on it as an audio interface, Phil. Though I use Pro Tools at my school, I don't know much about it when it comes to recording music.

The appeal I see is that it seems very simple and convenient to use as an alternative for a head for guitar/bass. Multiple amp tones, effects, effects loop for stompboxes, run direct or through a cab - as well as using it to record your own instrument at home.

If I ever see it in a guitar store, I'll probably try it out. The only distributor for the Axe-Fx here is a European website, so I can't try that one out.

I'm just speculating and trying to learn more about stuff. I can't afford any of this at the moment, anyway :D

• Members

Again, I don't really see a huge advantage to doing it that way when you can run Eleven (the software amp sim plugin) with any existing Digidesign or PT compatible M-Audio interface, although some guitarists are bound to appreciate the Eleven Rack's front panel "hardware human interface" paradigm; especially if they want to use it for live performances / gigs.

Eleven Rack sounds better than the plug-in. That could be solely due to the way the front end of Eleven Rack is designed, because everything else should be exactly the same. I've used Eleven (the PI) with a high end preamp and direct box, and I still prefer the sound of the rack. I'm not a huge fan of amp sims, so I probably won't buy the rack, but I was greatly impressed by the sound.

• Members

i have a buddy who lets me use his axe fx at work. i dont get how anyone can ditch a tube amp let alone their entire rig for this thing. i get two minutes in and it just sounds like {censored}

I dunno, zygoat's demos are rad. But he's also a super player and does drum and bass tracks etc.

• Members
I dunno, zygoat's demos are rad. But he's also a super player and does drum and bass tracks etc.

Zygoat's demos influenced my purchase of an AxeFx. Along with some others. He (Zygoat) is a fantastic player.

I think the way the :snax: is dialed in and the method it is amplified affects tone tremendously. The use of IRs make a huge difference. The new firmware upgrade (10.0) has the Marsha modded Marshall sim. The last upgrade added a Carol Ann OD-2 tweaked by the owner & designer of CarolAnn amps, plus a really great Orange RV50 sim. 10.0 isn't out yet, but is coming soon.

Phil,

Have you recorded any artists that have used the snax?

Archived