Check out my perma-ban

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you need? Do you need heavy service or a retube?

Yeah Dan, if you do know of any good amp techs out this way, I'm all ears. :)

John Kinder in Moreno Valley used to do good work, but I'm not sure if he's in business anymore. He usually had a huge backlong and quite the waiting list; although for an extra "rush" fee you could get moved closer to the front of the line. The shop I used to manage (Amp Doctor in Riverside) has been under new ownership for several years now; the new owner is a nice guy and does great keyboard work, but I don't know who he has in there doing amp repairs at the moment, so I can't really vouch for them in that regard. One of my former Amp Doctor employees used to do amp repairs through Music Mike's in Riverside, but I don't think he's there anymore either.

I pretty much do all my own minor work on amps these days, but I really am not set up for major stuff or to take amps from others, so like I said, if you have some good recommendations on this, I'd appreciate hearing about them! :wave:

• Members
Yeah Dan, if you do know of any good amp techs out this way, I'm all ears.
:)

John Kinder in Moreno Valley used to do good work, but I'm not sure if he's in business anymore. He usually had a huge backlong and quite the waiting list; although for an extra "rush" fee you could get moved closer to the front of the line. The shop I used to manage (Amp Doctor in Riverside) has been under new ownership for several years now; the new owner is a nice guy and does great keyboard work, but I don't know who he has in there doing amp repairs at the moment, so I can't really vouch for them in that regard. One of my former Amp Doctor employees used to do amp repairs through Music Mike's in Riverside, but I don't think he's there anymore either.

I pretty much do all my own minor work on amps these days, but I really am not set up for major stuff or to take amps from others, so like I said, if you have some good recommendations on this, I'd appreciate hearing about them!
:wave:

I'm tracking down a few numbers right now that a few friends and I have used. One guy out in Alta Dena named Terry is big into NOS tubes. He's got the largest inventory that I've ever seen and he's really reasonable as far as price is concerned. He recapped and retubed my TopHat Embassy and made it sound 100% better than it already sounded. On monday I can get the name of the guy my buddy that owns fretted products has been using since Tim Gregoire got busy making the faustine attenuator.

• Members

If you don't mind the drive Adam over at Satellite amps in San Diego is by far my favorite tech. He even contacted me through TGP when I was having troubles with my Bassman and helped me diagnose the problem (and fix it) for free! I offered to pay but he wouldn't accept it. Not saying he'll do that for you but that showed me what a great guy he is.

Also, lol @ Natarel.

• Members
Thank you - I appreciate it.
:cool:

And thank you to all of you (over half a dozen) who reported the original images - I greatly appreciate that too.
:wave:

OK, the dudes name is Pat Kahl. He's a little hard to get ahold and a little crazy because the guy has SO much knowledge rattling around in his head. He's exactly what I look for in a tech. The only caveat is that he won't even hint at a diagnosis over the phone or until he pulls your stuff apart and can figure it out.

(626)332-1091

• Members

Thanks a bunch Dan. I'll be giving him a call this week.

On a related note, anyone know when fender added 3 prong plugs to their amps? It looks like this amp used to have a ground pin but was cut off at some point. The courtesy outlet is also of the three prong variety, so I'm hoping it is a simple plug replacement to get this thing grounded again.

• Members

On a related note, anyone know when fender added 3 prong plugs to their amps? It looks like this amp used to have a ground pin but was cut off at some point. The courtesy outlet is also of the three prong variety, so I'm hoping it is a simple plug replacement to get this thing grounded again.

No problem man. A lot of our local luthiers and techs are REALLY hurting right now and I try to refer the ones I trust as much as possible to keep them working.

If it's a '73, then it probably did have a three prong power plug on it. If it looks like a 3 prong with the ground pin snapped or cut off, you can easily replace the plug yourself... but if it needs a retube / recap too, you may as well take it to a good tech and let them do it all.

Here's a link you may find useful if you want to DIY on the power plug - but it will ONLY work if the amp HAD a 3 prong cable on it and someone cut the ground plug off - when in doubt, consult a qualified tech. :cop:

• Members

Yep. For some reason, that's where all of my guitar contacts are. I live in rancho but somehow they all live out there.

Is he on Citrus?? I tried looking for a tech around there, but then it looked like a trap:eek:

Is he on Citrus?? I tried looking for a tech around there, but then it looked like a trap:eek:

The only place on Citrus I can think of is The Fret House; which used to be a pretty cool shop, but I have not been in there in years and years, so I can't really say what they're like now. :idk:

• Members

He's off of San Berdo and Baranca. I think the Frethouse does amp repair but I don't have any experience with them other than a few pedal purchases.

Archived