OT: SATs.....

LPJunior

• Members

got a nearly perfect score on the verbal and a perfect on the math. i've tutored the math, too. my advice is to take practice tests(some are included in the prep packet, and any bookstore will have a bunch of practice test books with old tests.) and figure out what your weak spots are. double check math problems, especially for sign errors, order of operations, and accidentally switching numbers around. i don't know what to tell you for the verbal. i just read a lot. they didn't have the writing section when i took them.

• Members

Not a big fan of standardized tests. But if you're offered the practice tests take them, as many times you think you need. It takes some of the scary mystique out of the SATs.

That's cheating, just like studying is. :lol:

Back in Illinois we take the ACT instead of the SAT though, so I never had to take the SAT. 6 hour tests suck ass though.

• Members

Take the PSAT just so you're not going in cold and have an idea of what to expect. Most importantly, don't over-think it. Most answers are pretty common sense. For math problems, you'll probably see answers for both 4/27 and -4/27; make sure you get your signs right when you work it out.

• Members

In England, SATs are what 16 year olds take.

How old are you? What are SATs in AUS?

16? They tend to be at the end of Key stages 1-3, so ages 7, 11 and 14.

Taking my UKCAT on Tuesday. Not looking forward to it all. :(

• Members

I took it back before all the writing bull{censored}. Statistically speaking it's not a very 'stable' test so if you score lower than what you want sign up for it again - most people score about 100 points higher each time they take the test.

• Members

I got 2010 on it when I took it something like 5 years ago. I destroyed the writing part but like someone said, schools don't really care too much about that. Especially back when I took it because I was the first class to take the SAT's that are out of 2400.

You down for SC tonight?

• Members

It's not standard in australia...it's normaly OP exams, but the system I'm in is part US so I'm taking the SAT instead...which makes more sense for me, cause I don't really plan on living in aus for the rest of my life..

I've got a book with some practice tests, and have been doing the online practice questions as well.

Writing is my best part though......:cry:

• Members

I had a 2.6 GPA in high school. I got a 2100 on SATs. Zero studying. I got into a really, really, really good college because of it alone. Stuff is serious business. However, it's really just an endurance test. It's a horrible measure of intelligence, just like GPA is.

• Members

Adderall. Everyone is doing it, seems to be the only way to keep up these days.

Seems like a lot of kids take that stuff but I don't think it really makes a difference. I never took it when I was in school and I did great. Hell, I work harder and longer hours now (full time job) than I ever did in high school or college and I don't even drink coffee lol.

I suggest taking a prep course for the SAT. My school had a free 4-session class. See if your school offers the same thing. I wouldn't pay for a full course as you really could teach yourself by checking out the study guides/prep books from a library.

Archived