VW Jetta

mis5dis6gis7

• Members

Don't get one with an automatic transmission unless you're going to do your own maintainance. Jettas have a "sealed transmission" that requires a special fluid. There is no dipstick. You either need to shell out loads to the dealership to get your fluid changed, or learn the PITA procedure yourself, or never change the fluid and have the tranny fail prematurely.

• Members

Ex-wife had a Jetta. In general a nice car but listen to what people are saying. You really have to be on top of all the maintenance with them and buying a used one could be asking for trouble if there are not records detailing the maintenance done. Now if it is a manual TDI version, I would be all over it but still have to ensure the maintenance was done and on time.

• Members

Uh, what year? It makes a whole lot of a difference if it's mk3, mk4, or the newer jetta, if they even call it the mk5. I had an mk3 GTI, and it was a really fun car to drive, and the engine was great, but it always had stupid problems going on with O2 sensors and so on and was really expensive to fix, even when fixing it at places other than the dealership.

To the best of my knowledge the mk3 goes up to 1999. I think the mk4 is 2000-2004 or 2005.

• Members

Its a 2000. Automatic. I want a manual, but the cheapest I've seen any Jetta go around here is like 6k and she said 3k. She just replaced the tensioner and timing belt. I really dont know enough about cars to know what to check for. I just want a more comfortable ride to work and I'm pretty sure its a 4-cylinder so I would save on gas.

• Members

I've got a 2006 2.0TDI jetta and I love it. Initially I wanted a Golf, but it just didn't have enough boot space. It's got that small perky car feel with the practicality of the bigger Passat. People say it's a compromise car but for me it was spot on perfect.

The only issue was one of the back doors wouldn't open, but i got that sorted before I bought it.

Oh and heated leather seats in the winter rocks!

Archived