VW Jetta

mis5dis6gis7

• Members

$3k isn't much, so it might be worth it. Can you have a qualified mechanic check it out? 10 year old cars will have issues though, whether its a Jetta or any other brand.

I had a '98 Jetta GLX with a 5 speed and VR6 motor in it. Pretty fast car. I had no issues with it, but I bought it new. I have a 2011 4cyl Camry now, much larger car, pretty quick for a larger car, a 6 speed auto with manual shift helps move it along. Tons of space, 6 or 7 air bags for safety, quiet as hell. Best car I've owned, even if it is quite pedestrian. Good gas mileage too.

Thought about leasing? Pretty good rates right now if you don't mind payments, but also peace of mind of a warranty and 2 years of free maintenance.

• Members

I have a 2004 1.8T, and I love it, but as people have been saying, there are plenty of random problems.

I bought mine with about 85k miles and have since put about 15 on it. The guy who sold it to must have known that it would soon start to crap out. I did some preliminary brake replacement, new tires, oil change, etc..

And just two months ago, my girlfriend and I took a day trip, and the oil light started flashing. I took it in, some oil {censored} was clogged. They did that and the timing belts, some coolant stuff and it was $1200. Bummer, w/e..

Then I needed to get my registration and emissions done the next week, so I had to take it back because the check engine light had still not cleared. They replaced the faulty temperature gauge, $300. During the test drive, it started smoking like crazy, and it turns out the entire turbo needed to be replaced, along with the oil lines. Another $2000. This car has cleaned out my bank account in the last few months.

Although I still do love my Jetta, expect some grief if you choose to purchase one.

• Members

I have a 2000 Golf, so I feel I'm definitely qualified to answer. Yeah, they have a ton of little random electric problems. Some of which were covered under recall (such as the O2 sensor). But the door locks are often an issue (mine don't always lock when using the key fob, so I have to check that it actually locks). Never heard of the warped heads. Though they eat oil. I believe on some models, some seals were installed upside down (or something of that matter) so the car tears through oil. So be sure to check oil levels between changes.

Also the automatic is super pokey, and for a car that slow and small, you're not getting the best gas mileage. A manaul is way peppier. And a Golf offers so much more utility. The hatch makes it great for hauling around gear, plus the roofline makes it so people actually have headroom in the backseats. For $3000, it's a good deal (depending on miles etc), but looking on my local craigslist, it's not so great that you can't find a Golf in manual for similar price.

Also, I would recommend taking any used car you buy to a mechanic for a quick inspection before buying.

• Members

I have a friend who is currently on his third Jetta. Now, perhaps he doesn't maintain them properly but it seems like he can't NOT have problems with them. And because of random stuff that imbuedblue was talking about, it's a stinking expensive fix every time. I don't know why he keeps going back to Jettas (although he IS pretty hipster).

• Members

After some soul searchin' I've decided against it. As much as I would love a smaller car right now it feels like Im settling. And if Im settling I'd rather keep the 3k to make my badass truck even more badass.

p.s.- what do I need to know to hook up a stereo in an older car?

• Members

After some soul searchin' I've decided against it. As much as I would love a smaller car right now it feels like Im settling. And if Im settling I'd rather keep the 3k to make my badass truck even more badass.

p.s.- what do I need to know to hook up a stereo in an older car?

Check out Cruchfield.com, you should be able to find anything for a car stereo there.

• Members

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI and it is a dream car. It has 160,000 miles and it still goes like a raped ape. I plan on running this thing into the ground. I have had very little problems with it. The only major issue was the electric fan would not turn off and it drained the battery. Put in a new relay switch and good as new. I am able to fit my whole family, which at one time was three car seats, luggage in the boot and go on vacation for a week. Saved lots on gas. At first I was getting 50 miles to the gallon. Now I get about 46 which is still good.

• Members

I had a 2002 VW Jetta Automatic - two accidents 2003, 2005, hit hard - no airbags deployed.

2009, ran over a pothole in wintertime - airbag deployed, smelled like a cap gun in my car for a month.

2010, Shortly thereafter, car lit on fire. No more Jetta. Random light burnouts all the time. Replaced one bulb in the rear a few times within six months. Some console lights burned out. Kinda lame. I wish I had bought a Toyota.

• Members

dont you DARE bring air cooled VWs into the same thread as made in mexico {censored}boxes.

Oh I forgot about all the Nazi goodness packed into those old ones. Too bad they are pure {censored} on 4 wheels. My parents had one from the 60's when I was a kid. My dad kicked a big {censored}ing dent in it after the air cooled turd they call an engine broke down for about the 20th time. Some asshole actually stole it. Sucker. I think my parents were relieved.

tl;dr I'm a VW hater

Archived