GO SEE MACHETE!

cobalt-60

• Members

So I saw Machete last week, and it was freaking awesome! I was wondering how much money it made today, and it made like, 14 million or something crappy like that. Bull{censored}! This movie is {censored}ing win, it should make, like, 14 billion. So I'm here to preach. Get your friends, get wasted, and see this movie. If you saw Machete, confess to how awesome it was. If you disagree, we will {censored}ing flame you.

No, I'm not a big Robert Rodriguez fan. I think most of his movies get tied down to a {censored} plot and drag on and on, or simply stop being fun after awhile. It could be that I had low expectation for this movie, but regardless, Machete is Grindhouse done right. I honestly can't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie.

• Members

I'm a huge RR fan, from El Mariachi to Grindhouse (well save the spykids stuff) but I thought it was kinda mreh.

It felt like it wasn't irreverent enough...like it took itself really seriously but they tossed in a few :wink wink nudge nudge: moments so you'd laugh.

Planet terror was brilliant though :lol:

• Members

I thought it was a movie that wasn't sure what it was trying to do. Was it supposed to be cerebral presentation of the effects of US immigration policy?, was it action? comedy? I couldn't tell you. Very little character development, uncomfortable erratic tone to the scenes, and really bad dialog full of non-sequitors. There were so many scenes in the movie that literally made me facepalm, number one being Jessica Alba's top of the car speech to win over the day laborers who were skeptical of her for being an ICE agent. A close second was the entire fight scene at the end.

I regret taking the time to watch this movie.

• Members
Thought it was great, and I enjoyed Lohan's tits. As long as she says little and takes off her clothes, she can have all the screen time she wants.

Body double'd.
Though I think I saw a bit of nipple in one of the scenes that it was really her.

I felt that RR wasn't sure if he should play it straight or just straight up campy...and in the end it was a bit of both which just didn't do it for me.

Though all the stuff Coach mentioned I found hilarious :lol:
I felt there wasn't enough of that stuff.

• Members

I thought it was a movie that wasn't sure what it was trying to do. Was it supposed to be cerebral presentation of the effects of US immigration policy?, was it action? comedy? I couldn't tell you. Very little character development, uncomfortable erratic tone to the scenes, and really bad dialog full of non-sequitors. There were so many scenes in the movie that literally made me facepalm, number one being Jessica Alba's top of the car speech to win over the day laborers who were skeptical of her for being an ICE agent. A close second was the entire fight scene at the end.

I regret taking the time to watch this movie.

Dude, that was the point. It was suppose to be hilariously stupid, entertaining movie. How could you not see that? The other Grindhouse trailers were about Nazi Werewolves and a killer Thanksgiving turkey. I think your fun chip burnt out.

The dumbest scene was when Lindsey Lohan comes back as the nun in Jon Woo vision. It got too silly at that point, it just wasn't funny. Then the narrative turns into a mess, and it rambles on a bit with the action. That was the only part that fell flat for me, but it comes full circle with Segal's final scene, which was the best part of the whole movie.

• Members

Ya, I guess I didn't approach it as a comedy, but even reflecting on it as one, I still stand by my criticism. I like absurdist comedy as much as the next guy, but I guess I'm burned out on ironic cheesiness and expect a little more imagination and cleverness than that which was on display in this movie. But ya, I guess I just don't get it and it wasn't for me and that's totally ok.

• Members

Ya, I guess I didn't approach it as a comedy, but even reflecting on it as one, I still stand by my criticism. I like absurdist comedy as much as the next guy, but I guess I'm burned out on ironic cheesiness and expect a little more imagination and cleverness than that which was on display in this movie. But ya, I guess I just don't get it and it wasn't for me and that's totally ok.

It is a comedy, but above all else, I'd say it's an entertaining movie. It's primary goal is to excite, with comedy, sex, violence and giving us an excuse to chop up the intolerant.

As for ironic cheese, I'm with you to a degree, but what makes this different is that Machete is so gleeful about it. I find most ironic comedy these days condescending or apathetic, like Tim and Eric or Sarah Silverman, but Rodriguez clearly loves his subject matter. He loves cheesy movies, and Latino immigrants, obviously. It's an affectionate parody, and making his hero an unstoppable grizzly old Mexican killing hateful white trash is a fantasy with it's heart in the right place.

Archived