September New Gear Thread

Birdienumnum

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I pre-ordered the Monomachine joystick too.

Although technically I ordered the following new gear in August, it hasn't arrived yet. So I guess it counts as September gear:

(*) Elektron Monomachine SFX-60 MKII

(*) Small Stone (the new style E/H USA version)

(*) SM Pro DI-8 line mixer

• Members

Two of these to replace my aging (20 years old or so) and starting-to-die Real World Midi Matrix:

motuxtusb.jpg

These are the newer model with the updated ROM chips so they (hopefully) work in Windows... Man, I really wish there were more options on the market for 8x8 or larger MIDI interfaces that can act standalone and have merge capabilities...

Thanks!

bax

• Members

I'm kinda pissed. I am probably the only person that went to Guitar Center this weekend and didn't manage to get any discount. Anything. Not even tax (but I just bought small things... a midi cable and keyboard covers... still, where's the love
:idk:
)

Honestly, I never get a good deal over there neither. Even with their June letter giving me a 15% or 20% discount doesn't even come close to what I get over the internet. I just go there to have my son playing with the disco lights. Otherwise I am just better off by ordering on-line.

• Members

roland_u20bg.jpg

Laugh as much as you like. I laughed too when a friend brought it here for service. So i repair the thing and start to play it. Damn as if someone gave me flashback pill into late 80's! I could see all those MTV videos from 89-91 with people dancing in the white background, etc. just by trying few patches (i guess every studio used this thing back then).

But it wasn't until i put it in the mix. I think it is probably due to primitive D/A converters technology, this thing cuts thru way easier than the (superior) Roland XP-30. Onboard Chorus and Reverb are fantastic and have coloration which is welcome. There are Mellotron and the legendary "Roland Strings" samples inside with some fantastic bell samples. This thing isn't going anywhere. I gave my friend a couple of AKAI cd roms. :lol:

I still can't believe this "crap synth" (as i thought it was) sounds so good. Most importantly is dead easy to put it in the mix, as opposed to XP-30 which is dead easy to get lost in the mix.

• Members

ooh. nice.

immediate first impressions please.

i'm on the cusp of purchasing one of these babies.

i've even got a vx-351 waiting.

i just need a little encouragement.
;)

the Minimoog Voyager OS is pretty fantastic. I own two Model D synths (a 74 and about a 79) so the first two hours of playing it i was not impressed. however, once i learned where the sweet spots were and the relative filter envelope amounts (you can apply the filter negatively on the OS so only half of the pot is for postive), it's been fantastic. i'm putting together a youtube A/B pitting them against each other so you can get a glimpse before you buy.

• Members

the Minimoog Voyager OS is pretty fantastic. I own two Model D synths (a 74 and about a 79) so the first two hours of playing it i was not impressed. however, once i learned where the sweet spots were and the relative filter envelope amounts (you can apply the filter negatively on the OS so only half of the pot is for postive), it's been fantastic. i'm putting together a youtube A/B pitting them against each other so you can get a glimpse before you buy.

much obliged my friend. :wave:

• Members

Sold the rest of my Euro format modules (except the custom Dual Mankato Filter, which is being converted into two MOTM format modules.) Bought the missing 100K resistors that I needed to finish the Bi N Tic VCO/VCF, and will have a couple of MOTM 190 VCAs to build this week. So it's a MOTM format sort of month for me. I should have two rows of them in my rack in the next two weeks or so.

• Members

2819815946_ee09dab6da_o.jpg

Man, that's just a beautiful photo of two beautiful synthesizers :love:

Here's a far uglier photo (taken with a crappy mobile phone camera) of my current favourite synths:

46480.jpg

Truly lovin' the MidiMini. Mine has original MiniMoog filter and VCA boards... I was planning on getting a Voyager RME, but thought the MidiMini would substitute for a Voyager OS RME :)

- CM

• Members

prp_r-rcb_lg.jpg

Well, I gotta stay small. I have Reason 4 along with the Reason Piano Refill and love it and I wanted the hypersampled drums and bass to go with the pianos... so Propellerhead obliged me by putting them together in a must-have bundle. Arriving this Thursday, I'm really anxious to get my mitts on it.

My townhouse is for sale and months ago I had to disassemble my studio and put it in storage so my house could be painted and made "showable". :cry: Bad time to try to sell a house - after months of showings I haven't had a single offer. No telling when I'll have my studio back. Even my gigging gear stays in storage now (easily accessible of course). All I have handy in my townhouse is my Yamaha CP-300 and my laptop, so I've focused on seeing just how much music I can accomplish with just that. And now with my new Rhythm Combo refills I expect to produce something with a new level of realism and quality. :thu:

• Members

roland_u20bg.jpg

Laugh as much as you like. I laughed too when a friend brought it here for service. So i repair the thing and start to play it. Damn as if someone gave me flashback pill into late 80's! I could see all those MTV videos from 89-91 with people dancing in the white background, etc. just by trying few patches (i guess every studio used this thing back then).

But it wasn't until i put it in the mix. I think it is probably due to primitive D/A converters technology, this thing cuts thru way easier than the (superior) Roland XP-30. Onboard Chorus and Reverb are fantastic and have coloration which is welcome. There are Mellotron and the legendary "Roland Strings" samples inside with some fantastic bell samples. This thing isn't going anywhere. I gave my friend a couple of AKAI cd roms.
:lol:

I still can't believe this "crap synth" (as i thought it was) sounds so good. Most importantly is dead easy to put it in the mix, as opposed to XP-30 which is dead easy to get lost in the mix.

Do you keep anything to yourself! :mad:

I've been considering one of these for the "Roland" sound but didn't want to run with the sheep. (JD800, JD990, JP80X0, or Juno)

A great Roland workhorse when you want the "Roland" sound but with a different twist. :thu:

Now the damn E-Bay price is going to rise! :facepalm:

• Members

Not real exciting but I got a comfy new chair. :bor:

Chair.jpg

Also, FINALLY finished up a custom desk that has been many months in the making. Still have to tie in all the synths to the patchbay, clean up, and bring the rest of my stuff into the room. Gratuitous bad photo of new desk...

NewDesk.jpg

• Members

For that i thought this Voyager old school that i was playing was broken.
:cop::lol:

seriously- it's probably the most glaring knob-to-knob difference between the Voyager OS and Model D, it takes a while to get used to the fact that 50% is now 0%.

and here's a gratuitous shot of my Prodigy i took yesterday, just because it's so full of Moog goodness:

prod2.jpg

Archived