September New Gear Thread

Birdienumnum

• Members

Not real exciting but I got a comfy new chair.
:bor:

Chair.jpg

Also, FINALLY finished up a custom desk that has been many months in the making. Still have to tie in all the synths to the patchbay, clean up, and bring the rest of my stuff into the room. Gratuitous bad photo of new desk...

NewDesk.jpg

Lavry Blue.....:love:

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Downside: price. Even 8 years after its introduction it still holds the price. It's a funny thing that it sells for the the same money as the (superior) Fantom XR that's just few years old. Makes one wonder which is superior here.

Wow, then things have changed a lot. The 5080 was a relative failure saleswise and there was a point you could get them new for under a grand... Used sales were well below that...

I guess its different now cause it sure wasn't that way a couple years after release! That synth was a complete miss!:eek:

• Members

I've been considering one of these for the "Roland" sound but didn't want to run with the sheep. (JD800, JD990, JP80X0, or Juno)

To get the best of both worlds (JD + Super JV) you should try XV-5080. See, it contains all the waveforms from the JV-1080 in 32kHz, plus ALL the JD-800 waveforms in 44.1kHz format (just like the real JD). Reason why i mentioned 32kHz is because when Roland switched to full 44.1 on XV-5050 a lot of users were complaining about the lack of the big bottom on original 1080 patches thus selling the units and going back to 1080, 2080...3080. When model 5080 came out it was marketed as having 32kHz waveform set, but i found it to contain mixed content of both 32kHz and 44.1kHz, later got confirmation from Roland.

As of JD, you can basically emulate it on XV-5080 cause not only you got its waveforms in 1:1, but also its Effects Section A block available as MFX. Block B can be emulated with Chorus and Delay/Reverb section. You can even link them the same way as on JD. As a bonus you get Roland S-760 included in its engine. It will play not only Roland's but AKAI format samples too. It's a working horse.

Downside: price. Even 8 years after its introduction it still holds the price. It's a funny thing that it sells for the the same money as the (superior) Fantom XR that's just few years old. Makes one wonder which is superior here.

I had one for 2 years and didn't lose a single dollar on it when i sold it. I had to sell it because i have JD-990 and XP-30 (5 cards), and AKAI S3000XL which combined together = more less an 5080. Difference is that my setup gives 20 outputs vs. 8 on XV-5080. You do music / mixing, you know each output is gold worth.

• Members

Not real exciting but I got a comfy new chair.
:bor:

Chair.jpg

Also, FINALLY finished up a custom desk that has been many months in the making. Still have to tie in all the synths to the patchbay, clean up, and bring the rest of my stuff into the room. Gratuitous bad photo of new desk...

NewDesk.jpg

You know I just realized your pic is like an ad for Gearslutz and that makes me sad... the 500 rack with the purple, the distressor, the chandler mini mixer, the portico, the a designs hammer, the stc8, the Lavry blues, the KSP8- I just got way depressed about the pics... Im feeling no love.... Its almost silly...

But I admit I want a hammer... But Im so sick of GS- its a joke now. And if you say you aren't on that board you are a LIAR LIAR LIAR!

Nice gear though but so cliche...

• Members

PFD is coming in this month. Trying to decide between replacing the mono I sold a couple of months ago with a MKII unit, or delaying that for a while longer and going a different route. I could finally placate my drum machine desires by giving the machinedrum a second chance (now that the MKII units bumped the steps per pattern up to 64) or give into my long-standing rompler needs and get a Motif XS rack... ugh, so many holes to fill.

But first... gotta find a job. Nothing new until the income stream has been reestablished.

• Members

You know I just realized your pic is like an ad for Gearslutz and that makes me sad... the 500 rack with the purple, the distressor, the chandler mini mixer, the portico, the a designs hammer, the stc8, the Lavry blues, the KSP8- I just got way depressed about the pics... Im feeling no love.... Its almost silly...

But I admit I want a hammer... But Im so sick of GS- its a joke now. And if you say you aren't on that board you are a LIAR LIAR LIAR!

Nice gear though but so cliche...

Cliche... funny... :cop:

While I'll admit to being on Gearslutz, I don't let it influence my purchases. Opinions on gear are too subjective to the end user to put too much faith in what you read on the internet. I use my ears and pass my own judgement of what I like and dislike and when I hear something makes me smile, I get it. The most ear opening experiences I've ever had were with the Lavry A/D/A and the Cranesong STC-8. I'd own a whole rack of Lavry conversion if I could afford it.

As for the Hammer, you owe it to youself to check one out. It really does some nice things to whatever passes through it. It may or may not work for your given tastes but I was pleasantly suprised. It's the one thing that I DID fall for the hype on while reading GS and I probably wouldn't have paid A Designs much attention otherwise. I liked it so much I picked up an EM-PEQ as well and it's no slouch either. Makes me realize how much I hate plug insThe Portico 5043 was a just stupid good deal and I couldn't pass it up. Besides, if all I bought were trendy things would I not have a pair of ADAM monitors or possibly Focals rather than my trusty 'ol Halfer TRM8s?

Anyway, the photo was less about the gear and more about my desk... I've been planning/working on this thing since the end of last year and was finally glad to have it finished. It was late, I was feeling accomplished, and I had nobody to share it with. :cry:

Cheers!

Chris

• Members

Got any comparisons?
:)

as i mentioned i'm putting together a youtube comparison- purely sonic, no feature comparison; feature-to-feature, the Voyager OS is of course a world of pwnage over it's ancestor. i'm hoping to get the video up by next week, it'll be cool!

• Members

Yes!!! The Fusion is awesome. This thing is so deep! I can't wait for my memory expansion to get here.

Did you know that the possible polyphony for the Fusion is 272? :eek:

I think this will keep me entertained for YEARS.

Oh I did get the preset libraries from KPR, I guess this qualifies as a purchase? I wasn't going to get them but I'm glad I did! It could take me years to learn to program this good. The synth sounds, especially, are a thing to behold. I still find it a lot easier to tweak good presets than it is to make up new ones from scratch.

givemethem.jpg

• Members

Will do, do you have the +dsp license? I don't but am thinking about getting it...

yeah - I have it, but I need to get mine repaired - it's never worked properly. Works fine for basic audio, but won't let me install version 3 and up. So, I figure I'll get the 2d at the same time.

• Members

thanks! i like that Omega, too, those are fun.

here's the third Mini, this one is the pre-buffer board 1974 that will rattle the brains right out of your ears!

minibush2.jpg

seriously- it's probably the most glaring knob-to-knob difference between the Voyager OS and Model D, it takes a while to get used to the fact that 50% is now 0%.

and here's a gratuitous shot of my Prodigy i took yesterday, just because it's so full of Moog goodness:

prod2.jpg

Beautiful pics! :thu:

• Members

Dont you already own a D70? I thought that pretty much covered U20?

d70u20uw0.jpg

I finally tested them side by side. D-70 is more darker sounding than U-20 and vanishes easy in the mix. While U-20 stays rock solid even with all 16 channels occupied on my Mackie CR1604. This must be something with the (primitive) converters on U-20 or their coloring. I've never had a digital synth that cuts so good through the mix.

D-70 stays a synth for pad-only parts. If you heard my D-70 demo, you should get the idea of its sound. It's the king in that area and totally exotic sounding compared to JD-990. So... here 13 years later, i tried everything and kept the best of Roland digitals: D-550, S-550, U-20, D-70, JD-990 and XP-30. ;)

Archived