September New Gear Thread

Birdienumnum

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm thinking of picking up Massive. 4x oversampling man, wow. i keep running that damn 30 minute demo. super stable too, unlike vemberaudio surge which almost destroyed my eardrums yesterday.

Ditto. The interface is both user friendly and very pretty, more intuitive than their older synths. :)

• Members

it can go both ways. quartz has OSC objects so it can hook into anything (and over a network!) but the easy way to do it is to publish ports for objects in quartz composer and then use accessor methods in SC.

so instead of setting up OSC server/ports and path trees on both sides, you can just create a QCview object that points to the QC file and message it like this:

myQCView.someValue = 1;

which is way more readable and happy like. And you can use the keys both ways, so

someOtherVariable = myQCView.someValue;

works too.

if you have SC, go into /help/GUI/SCQuartzComposerView/ for more info.

edit: also, for extreme geeky software mashup goodness, considering you can build SC files as audio units, you could conceivably have a handy dandy DAW-quartz bridge. hmmmm...

• Members

The "family PC" in the middle of our downstairs (that is used for homework, etc.) took a dump after six years. It was slow anyway. So I bought a new HP desktop. Then I figured I might as well get a new monitor, so I replaced the ol' 19" CRT with a 22" flat screen. The printer was ancient and slow as well, so I went ahead and got a new HP printer/scanner/copier. And being tired of my slow four-year old 802.11b wireless router, I upgraded to a 802.11g. That's a nice upgrade, I gotta tell ya.

So I spent whatever gear money I had this month getting a whole new PC setup for the family, which has nothing to do with music.

BTW, being a Mac user myself (I have an iMac and a Macbook) I was wary of venturing into the world of Windows Vista (everyone else in my family is into Windows and doesn't get the Mac thing). But I've been pleasantly surprised with Vista, actually. Perhaps that has something to do with it having come on a brand new machine with 4 GB RAM.

Next, I want to upgrade my five-year old 34" Sony tube HDTV to a 46" LCD (probably Sony or Samsung). So new music stuff may be on hold for a while....

• Members

BTW, being a Mac user myself (I have an iMac and a Macbook) I was wary of venturing into the world of Windows Vista (everyone else in my family is into Windows and doesn't get the Mac thing). But I've been pleasantly surprised with Vista, actually. Perhaps that has something to do with it having come on a brand new machine with 4 GB RAM.

334px-Tux.svg.png

• Members

No, I'm still not really down with the modulars - the Evenfall is a complete semi-modular, like the SEMtex XL or Cwejman S1 Mk2. The red legending describes the pre-patched signal flow. Baby steps.

I can relate. The more I think about it the more I want a semi-modular that will actually make sound with no cables plugged in. :idea:

Archived