OT: So I sold my amp on CL... (uh oh content)

jhamnett

• Members

Pretty smooth transaction went down on Tuesday. The guy brought his SG over and put the amp through its paces, even cranking it up a bit and really letting the amp get loud. No issues... and the amp was working just fine when I tested it before he came over. He brought it home Tuesday, after talking me into giving him a $25 discount on the CL asking price (it was equal to what I was asking for it here so I was fine with that).

I got an email last night saying that the volume was coming in and out while playing with the master up. Tubes are supposedly fine and working too. I've been cool about answering his emails promptly. I suggested using no pedals, using different guitars, using different cables. Apparently the problem persists. He's convinced it's an internal issue.

So... he's getting the amp looked at by a guy this weekend. Now, I'm pretty damn sure the amp was fine when I had it, and I'm not sure what happened in the 48 hours since he bought it to when he emailed me about the issues. I'm sure he's gonna ask me to pay for the work done if there's any work to be done... I just want some advice as far as how to handle that. If it's a serious thing, I might just take the amp back and refund him the money (not likely, it was roaring on Tuesday). If some work needs to be done, depending on the work, do I fork up the cash? I think since he talked me down off my price, maybe he could pay the first $25 and I'd pay the rest?

TLDR: sold an amp Tuesday in fine working condition, got talked down $25 from asking price, got an email last night saying it's not working, I feel like it was just fine and want to keep the money but don't want to be a dick.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah take it back.
and make sure he doesn't get the repairs done without you knowing...

Great point! Yeah, I really don't want to be trapped like that. I mean, if he just got repairs without me knowing, I'd definitely not be up to paying for them, since that's shady mcshadster activity right there. I don't expect it from him, though. He sounds pretty upstanding.

I did warn him with the amp that the tubes are horizontal under the PCB and you should use a fan in the back to prevent excessive solder heat. I mean, if he wasn't using a fan in back, I can say he wasn't using it properly I guess?

• Members

yeah, he went to your house...

That is true... I hope that's not an issue.

To make things clear, there's been no exchange of harsh words. Guess I'm just anticipating the worst. It's likely some faulty tube or resistor or something.

• Members

I would be an adult about the situation and try and work it out in a respectful manner but at the same time, I wouldn't give him his money back (you don't want to end up with a broken amp that you are sure was fine). Did you have the serial number written down, maybe he is pulling some scam like that?

If the tech fee is like $50, I'd just cover that $25 difference (minus the $25 he talked you down). If it's more, I don't know? I mean if he didn't notice until after 48 hours....?

• Members

I would be an adult about the situation and try and work it out in a respectful manner but at the same time, I wouldn't give him his money back (you don't want to end up with a broken amp that you are sure was fine). Did you have the serial number written down, maybe he is pulling some scam like that?

If the tech fee is like $50, I'd just cover that $25 difference (minus the $25 he talked you down). If it's more, I don't know? I mean if he didn't notice until after 48 hours....?

• Members

Tell him you'll take it back and return his money, provided: he brings the amp over and it does the same thing in front of you and the amp is in the same condition as when it left your house. If he has opened it up or taken to a repairman, you can't help him because you have no idea what he may have done to the amp when he had it open.

• Members

Tell him you'll take it back and return his money, provided: he brings the amp over and it does the same thing in front of you and the amp is in the same condition as when it left your house. If he has opened it up or taken to a repairman, you can't help him because you have no idea what he may have done to the amp when he had it open.

This is true. Even PayPal won't get you your money back if the purchaser opened up the chassis.

• Members

I do have the serial number on a photo on my comp, so that's won't be an issue.

About opening the chassis... yeah, that's a good point. If someone's going in there and taking a look, I want to make sure it's a legit tech and not someone who's going to do damage.

• Members

very reasonable and clever way of dealing with the situation. :thu:

:)

• Members

the amp was working fine when he bought it, the transaction is over at that point. once he pays and leaves your house that is it. who knows what he did after that and why should you be responsible for it. tell him to go piss up a rope.

why take back a broken amp that worked fine when he paid for it??:idk:

• Members

this is a good idea....reasonable, even. the thing that sux is he knows where you live...

Archived