OT: So I sold my amp on CL... (uh oh content)

jhamnett

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I specify in all my CraigsList ads "No shipping, cash only, all sales final." When you buy used, you (the buyer) have to assume some kind of risk. A private seller isn't Guitar Center.

Sounds like you let him give a very complete try-out of the amp. He heard it, he liked it, he bought it. It's now his amp.

Plus, you say he's had the amp for 2 days? Who knows what he's done with it. He may have had a couple of band rehearsals at full volume for a few hours. Amps break. It happens.

It helps to have the above policy in your ads and stated at the time of purchase, but even if you didn't I really don't believe you owe him a refund.

It sounds like he's trying to make his bad luck into yours.

• Members

yeah i don't know, i agree your not a store and would not refund money. He tried it at your place and it worked fine agreed to purchase at that point, as is and as tested. 48 hours is long enough to destroy anything, who knows what he did to it during that time. For all you know he could have dropped it down a flight of stairs...

If it comes down to it and he starts getting angry i would ask to come over to his place to observe the problem, that way he knows you know where he lives. The absolute most i would do is offer to pay a portion of the repairs depending on what they are and what the amp tech thinks caused the problem (speak to the tech yourself) ...

• Members

he tried it out at your house..

and decided to buy it..

thats it.

exactly, you don't get a warranty with used gear from a private sale. He tried it and he was happy, that's it..

If I buy a second-hand car and it breaks down a week later that's just tough on me.

• Members

Alot of things could of happened between leaving your place and ending up at his.

Politely tell him you sold him a working amp, it had zero issues and he saw that

Ive lent {censored} all the time to my friends in working condition and they give it back {censored}ed up, some people as much as they seem dont know how to handle gear :facepalm:

• Members

So much couldve happened to it in 48 hours (heck even in 4 hours!). It couldve been dropped out of a car, knocked over by himself or a band mate, drinks could have been spilt into it, bad retube attempt, buyers remorse, power surge, fallen down stairs, a lot of octave down effects/bass guitars blowing things out, animal pee on the transformers, blown fuse, human pee on the transformers.

• Members

craigslist rules: cash and carry, buyer beware, zero guarantee.
that's why craigslist items come cheaper then new ones at the stores. (duh)

apologize for the inconvinience and ask/tell him to leave you alone.
stay polite and start ignoring him if you have to.

• Members
Tell him you'll take it back and return his money, provided: he brings the amp over and it does the same thing in front of you and the amp is in the same condition as when it left your house. If he has opened it up or taken to a repairman, you can't help him because you have no idea what he may have done to the amp when he had it open.

Best answer :thu:

• Members
Pretty smooth transaction went down on Tuesday. The guy brought his SG over and put the amp through its paces, even cranking it up a bit and really letting the amp get loud. No issues... and the amp was working just fine when I tested it before he came over. He brought it home Tuesday, after talking me into giving him a $25 discount on the CL asking price (it was equal to what I was asking for it here so I was fine with that).

I got an email last night saying that the volume was coming in and out while playing with the master up. Tubes are supposedly fine and working too. I've been cool about answering his emails promptly. I suggested using no pedals, using different guitars, using different cables. Apparently the problem persists. He's convinced it's an internal issue.

So... he's getting the amp looked at by a guy this weekend. Now, I'm pretty damn sure the amp was fine when I had it, and I'm not sure what happened in the 48 hours since he bought it to when he emailed me about the issues. I'm sure he's gonna ask me to pay for the work done if there's any work to be done... I just want some advice as far as how to handle that. If it's a serious thing, I might just take the amp back and refund him the money (not likely, it was roaring on Tuesday). If some work needs to be done, depending on the work, do I fork up the cash? I think since he talked me down off my price, maybe he could pay the first $25 and I'd pay the rest?

TLDR: sold an amp Tuesday in fine working condition, got talked down $25 from asking price, got an email last night saying it's not working, I feel like it was just fine and want to keep the money but don't want to be a dick.

If you didn't offer a warranty and it worked when it left your place, it's reasonable to assume that the buyer is on the hook for any repairs. I always offer a warranty of 1 week when I sell an amp and 30 days when I sell a pedal. I agree to repair or refund the purchase price should the item fail during normal operation.

That being said, in your situation, I'd still offer to split the cost of the repair with him and agree that both parties be there at the shop to drop the amp off. :)

• Members

I'm shocked that he even called you. Who does that? You buy something used, and it's been... wait for it... USED. That means you take it as is. Period. As others have said, that's why you get it for cheap. If you want a warranty, buy from a store.

I once sold a clarinet on CL. I had it listed for ridiculously cheap ($75). Someone came over to buy it, and I pulled it out to show it off. In doing that, I discovered that some of the pads were shot. I immediately knocked the price down to $50.

Week or so later, someone posted an angry ad on CL talking about how they had bought a cheap clarinet on CL and how they had to replace the pads, which costs a couple hundred bucks. I don't know if this was over my clarinet, but the poster accused the original seller of being a fraud. In reality, if it was my horn, she still got a good deal... she just doesn't know how much clarinets cost.

• Members

if it was her, she'd be better buying a new clarinet! :p

- to the OP, you've been a stand up guy thus far - keeping in touch and replying to e-mails, although I hope you are standing your ground. I would definitely not refund the price, after all, as somebody has already posted - the buyer might have used the amp on full for a sustained period of time. Might have used a dodgy power outlet, blah blah. So many variables - not your problem.

• Members
I'm shocked that he even called you. Who does that?

yeah, I have to say, I wouldn't....

When I bought my Laney VC30 I'd only used it at about 3 band practices when the OT blew.. about 15 hours in total maybe, I didn't even think about contacting the seller, it's not his problem is it? .... when you buy used stuff you always take that risk that anything could be on it's way out even though it's fine when you buy it. I dunno what's wrong with people these days... :idk:

Archived