Welcome to PDX

devi

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never liked Berbati's. Adequate sound at best. Someday's my new favorite place to play.

I really miss Rock and Roll Pizza though. {censored}ty location, but best sound and lights I've played to.

And though Rovente is cheap, it tastes like cardboard. Sorry Jack.

• Members

I never liked Berbati's. Adequate sound at best.

Word. Glad someone said it.

So I'm hopefully going to start playing shows at the end of 2011... where -are- the good places for an up-and-coming band to play alt-stoner-rock shows?

The place I've enjoyed most thus far is Goodfoot but I think they're more about low-key rock, country, jazz.

Holocene seemed to have a good crowd for live dancey kind of music...

... and there was some newish place near ground kontrol... coffee shop with horribly treble sound the night I went that seemed to have a decently interested crowd, though it was an acoustic set I believe.

I also hear great things about Mississippi Studios.

Then of course there is Doug Fir for "mid sized" acts though I swear to god I haven't witnessed a more "could care less about the music" crowd in my life as I've seen there.

ramble

• Members

for new stoner rock-y bands, PLAN B.

also, branx, apparently. WATAIN is playing there soon, i can't even believe it.

devi, are you thinking of backspace? it's not new by any stretch but it's the only coffee shop i can think of next to GK with shows.

• Members

I don't like the layout of Berbati's either. Seems like all the fun and main bar id in one room, then there's this funny little annex where music happens.

Devi, I suggest Ash Street Saloon. It's easy as {censored} to get a gig there, and the foot traffic is good in that area.

• Members

for new stoner rock-y bands, PLAN B.

also, branx, apparently. WATAIN is playing there soon, i can't even believe it.

devi, are you thinking of backspace? it's not new by any stretch but it's the only coffee shop i can think of next to GK with shows.

Yeah... backspace... I thought it opened just a few years ago.

I haven't been to Branx for a live show yet but I definitely love the venue.

• Members
I don't like the layout of Berbati's either. Seems like all the fun and main bar id in one room, then there's this funny little annex where music happens.

Devi, I suggest Ash Street Saloon. It's easy as {censored} to get a gig there, and the foot traffic is good in that area.

Sweet... have heard good things of them as well.

Can't {censored}ing wait! :)

• Members

The Fez is a great venue... just had a friend tour through recently... great sound cool staff... but they seem to be more about dance nights which is a real shame.

Mt. Tabor Theater is such a sad place. That building has so much potential but it seems that the past two owners (and previous ones from what I've heard) just don't really seem to have any focus on what they are doing with the place.

I still have my eyes set on turning that place around someday... it's just a really rad building (and location) that could use some true rock and roll love. :(

• Members

Really like Someday Lounge, Mississippi is great too. Doug Fir is great on week nights when people are out to see a specific band and not out on a weekend to just to be hipsters. Heard Holocene is a great venue as well. Honorable mention goes too McMenamins White Eagle staff and food there are great.

New subject favorite Portland bands....and go!

• Members

mustaphamond

silentist

fake drugs

cower

purple rhinestone eagle

agalloch

mean jeans

lebenden toten

brizbomb (vancouver, WA)

soft metals

arohan

volt per octaves

operation mission

turbo perfecto/dr helicopter

konami defense system was my favorite before they broke up

• Members

i haven't looked at a computer in a long time. i'm a little late on this thread, but i have to chime in. for mexican food, you must go to santa cruz in st. john's. i don't know what part of town you live in. i'm in north portland so it's not that far, but it's worth the trip no matter what. best in portland. the tortillas are unbelievable and the red sauce is the best i've had in town. there's a cart at 86th and woodstock i think called el nutri-taco that's really good. they have a bunch of vegan stuff that can get a little weird honestly, and i appreciate vegan food, but the regular menu is great. bonita is good, as humancertainty mentioned, also serinita, which is two doors down from bonita on alberta is good. it's less vegetarian friendly, if that matters to you, but cheaper. don pancho on alberta isn't that good but they have the nicest person in portland working there. the place up the street from trade up in southeast isn't bad. it's kind of a cart like thing, gordita's i think. i'm passionate about mexican food. i think there's a lot of it that's good here.

hammy's pizza! yes! i've never eaten it sober, but i remember it being delicious. such an insane amount of meat you can get. mississippi pizza is good too. voodoo doughnuts is {censored}ing stupid. seriously, why wait in line for an hour for a {censored}ing mediocre doughnut. who cares if it has bacon or dog food or whatever on it and is shaped like a dick?

and beer! so much good {censored}ing beer here.

• Members

I haven't been to portland since I was like, fourteen? So, about four years ago....I don't really remember what it was like, but I watched Drugstore Cowboy about a month ago and thought, "Damn, I need to move out to Portland." Then I realized I don't want to live in Portland; I wanna live back in time.

Archived