So if I want tape echo in a pedal

ambient

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It depends on what you mean by "tape echo"

I had a Roland Space Echo, the RE-301 with Chorus and spring reverb. FABULOUS unit. Reconditioned. New tape.

And I had a Boss DD-20. In a blind test side by side as far as just the echo goes, the DD-20 nailed it dead on, spot on. No {censored}. I ended up selling the Roland Space Echo. I'm not the only one that has had that experience on this board either. Tape is actually MORE "hi-fi" sounding than analog delays which are darker. I discovered that most of what I was looking for was the "analog delay" sound than the "tape" sound, unless of course it was an old worn out tape and had wow and flutter and other "artifacts" - which my Space Echo did NOT provide because it was in too nice of condition!

So, it depends on what you are really looking for. A lot of this stuff is mythologized.

• Members

It depends on what you mean by "tape echo"

I had a Roland Space Echo, the RE-301 with Chorus and spring reverb. FABULOUS unit. Reconditioned. New tape.

And I had a Boss DD-20. In a blind test side by side as far as just the echo goes, the DD-20 nailed it dead on, spot on. No {censored}. I ended up selling the Roland Space Echo. I'm not the only one that has had that experience on this board either. Tape is actually MORE "hi-fi" sounding than analog delays which are darker. I discovered that most of what I was looking for was the "analog delay" sound than the "tape" sound, unless of course it was an old worn out tape and had wow and flutter and other "artifacts" - which my Space Echo did NOT provide because it was in too nice of condition!

So, it depends on what you are really looking for. A lot of this stuff is mythologized.

What I want is something that:

I can roll the highs off

cut some of the lows

has a bit of movement ie wow/flutter, but not too much

kinda degrades in that way unlike BBD chip delays.

• Members

ive used a few pedals, not loads but anyway:

ibanez de7: more like analog than tape sounding (ie. no modulation/flutter/warble)

dod fx96: same territory as above (i prefer de7 though)

behringer echo machine: great tape echo but the pedal is noisy/hissy. a great shame as its super cheap to buy!!

echo park: this is what the behringer echo machine is a clone of.. but of course the echo park does not have the noise/hiss!

overall recommendation for tape echo: echo park (and no surprise it is the most expensive of the above choices...)

my favourite: ibanez de-7. because i found that tape echo is fun for a while but then it ends up sometimes a bit too intrusive once you have modulation/flutter/warble going on. but the de-7, just some nice background analog delay.. great sounding. and as someone already mentioned in this thread, once you use the trem arm on eg. a strat, or bend the neck a little on a les paul/sg etc, you do get into a very nice tape echo sound....

• Members
What
I
want is something that:

I can roll the highs off

cut some of the lows

has a bit of movement ie wow/flutter, but not too much

kinda degrades in
that
way unlike BBD chip delays.

Just about any analog delay with modulation will do that... Memory toy, carbon copy, malekko...

Tape echo isnt really about how it sounds, anyway - lots of semi-convincing emulations out there. It's all about the joy of knowing that you are using tape in your signal, the joy of cleaning rollers and capstans, the joy of listening to the repeats degrade as the tape gets older, the joy of spending $30 for a new tape cartridge, the joy of wondering when your motor is going to kick it, and the joy of photographing it for BOTB.

Dont get caught up in how it sounds, because that is ultimately irrelevant ;)

• Members

I'd consider:

DLA w/TT

Mad Prof DBD

Disaster Transport

TC ELectronics Repeater (great overall delay, modulation is more subtle than many, tone control also very useful)

Catalinbread Monty (haven't used it, but seems close to what you want)

But if you get the El Cap, you won't be wondering, "I wonder if the El Cap really sounds better?" Because it does.

• Members

if you ever get the chance try the tape echo emulation on the boss vf-1, it's lost somewhere between those digital menus. i remember you had a ridiculous amount of control and tone was beautiful!

and then well, sound on sound on real tape echo's is something i love.

those korg tape units.. oh and, Evans tape echos too, amazing unknown gems for s.o.s.

as for pedals, nothing really comes into my mind for a cool emulation.

• Members

Now the El Cap is here I'd encourage you to save up if you can. Otherwise the RE-20 is probably the only (relatively) cheap delay where you control the bass and treble cut.

I noticed the preamp doing things to the signal, and was glad to be rid of it eventually, but it's passable. It has a switch for running it as wet-only aswell so you could split your signal before it and have it running in parallel to you unaffected clean signal.

A trick with the DE-7 - take the wet output and put it through some pitch/modulation of your choice and you can mimic tape or DMM sounds. There's an audio clip I did with a vibratrem (vibrato mode set slow and shallow) in my sig. was actually quite a good sound tape emulation.

• Members

I have an EP3 along with a Timefactor and a Wampler Faux Tape Echo.

The Faux Tape Echo sounds great. You can adjust the repeat tone and wow/flutter. I mainly like it because it has that long decay thing going on that "tape echos" seem to have.

• Members

I have an EP3 along with a Timefactor and a Wampler Faux Tape Echo.

The Faux Tape Echo sounds great. You can adjust the repeat tone and wow/flutter. I mainly like it because it has that long decay thing going on that "tape echos" seem to have.

When I watched burg's/brett's demo it the repeats didn't seem to degrade like some other tape sims do...maybe it's just me?

That's one thing I love, when the repeats thin out and get kinda gnarly.

Archived