Akai Headrush E2

guitapick

• Members

I love mine. Noise never bothered me none. What kind of looping do you want to do?

Both electric and acoustic. Lots of different styles. Can you use both the delay and loop function at the same time, aka: get a loop going and then play over it with the delay function on?

• Members

I don't believe you can use the looper and delay at the same time, I've asked that question too, and I think the answer is no. Which is a complete bummer imo.

Yep no delay and loop at the same time.

Never noticed any noise with mine being powered through a PP2.

• Members

I don't believe you can use the looper and delay at the same time, I've asked that question too, and I think the answer is no. Which is a complete bummer imo.

Yeah...that's a drag. Do you know if any of the others offer the two at once (MemoryMan, Boss RC-20XL, etc)?

I'd like to find a unit that I can use both for looping and as a nice straight delay. As is, I've got the trusty Boss DD-3, but would like a second one so I can have both the long and short options there in the same tune.

Anybody else have problems with multiple layers getting jumbled together (as far as not being able to set the volume level of the loop)?

• Members

Yeah...that's a drag. Do you know if any of the others offer the two at once (MemoryMan, Boss RC-20XL, etc)?

I'd like to find a unit that I can use both for looping and as a nice straight delay. As is, I've got the trusty Boss DD-3, but would like a second one so I can have both the long and short options there in the same tune.

Anybody else have problems with multiple layers getting jumbled together (as far as not being able to set the volume level of the loop)?

the Headrush is an awesome looper, it's the one i go to almost all the time for 'live' stuff. but the DL-4 and SMMH can do looping and delay at the same time.. but the DL-4 has a set delay type, and i believe you have to turn some knobs to select a delay type/preset on the SMMH once you've got a loop going. both the DL-4 and SMMH i haven't really gotten on that well with for looping. the DL-4 is straight forward but being able to switch to reverse causes a momentary glitch in the loop which is a bit lame.

the EHX 2880 looper is the only one i know where you can adjust the volume of each layer.. and generally as a home/practice/studio looper that's a fantastic thing to have control over. it doesn't do delay though.. but that's what other pedals are for right? :)

at the moment i'm pretty much using the Headrush and 2880 for all my looping needs.

i'd say your best option is Headrush plus another delay pedal

• Members

I run my E2 off a 1spot with 15 other pedals from the same 1spot and have no noise problems - my understanding was that there was a more significant noise issue with the E1.

The E2 is a great looper as others have said. Its strength is its simplicity - it's really easy. I don't have problems with layers being indistinct, and I've used it to loop guitar, bass, drums, vocals... I suspect I've learned to play dynamically so that things stand out or fall into the background as I want them to.

The E2 + another delay (analog?) + your DD3 sounds like a good combo. I run my headrush with an Ibanez AD99 and an EHX memory toy. If I was going for a more complex looper I'd probably get a line6 M9. Great looper, and will certainly do more than the E2, including additional delays.

Steve

• Members

DL4 with an expression pedal is your best bet, without a doubt. you can control any parameter on the looper with the expression pedal so I assigned mine to the delay mix level and it was awesome to be able to sweep in some delay whenever I wanted it but still have a looper right there.

• Members

This will be my first looper. I imagine I can get around the volume issue of each layer by just playing louder or softer when I set one...

using different pickup combinations work well too.. just a change in tonality between each overdub can help them sit together better.

• Members

If you REALLY need a delay looper combo, the only choice that is worthwhile is the dl4 but even then it is limited to one type of delay while looping.

I would suggest getting the head rush and a delay of your choice. it plays nice with other pedals.

Also, what gambit said about using your pickups to achieve tonal differentiation while looping, using that pick selector for different tones and volumes would help alleviate the mix issues. Though I never had a problem playing dynamically.

If I ever have a stubborn riff that won't cut through- I actually keep dubbing it over, layer after layer until it cuts through the mix.

Also, the headrush has really cool delay modes for when you're not looping. It's even hands free when switching between the different delays modes and looping. You just hit both switches at the same time to scroll between settings.

It's really worth the investment.

• Members

If you REALLY need a delay looper combo, the only choice that is worthwhile is the dl4 but even then it is limited to one type of delay while looping.

I would suggest getting the head rush and a delay of your choice. it plays nice with other pedals.

Also, what gambit said about using your pickups to achieve tonal differentiation while looping, using that pick selector for different tones and volumes would help alleviate the mix issues. Though I never had a problem playing dynamically.

If I ever have a stubborn riff that won't cut through- I actually keep dubbing it over, layer after layer until it cuts through the mix.

Also, the headrush has really cool delay modes for when you're not looping. It's even hands free when switching between the different delays modes and looping. You just hit both switches at the same time to scroll between settings.

It's really worth the investment.

You just sold me on it. I have a DL4, dont really mess around with the looper that often but i like it. I bought the DL4 for the different delay options but i really only use tape mode and multihead. VOLUME DROP on the DL4 is not good.

I say go E2 and another delay.

• Members

What's all this talk about not being able to change line level? On the E2 I had you surely could. There was set and variable. The set is 100% all the time irrespective of where the knob is and once flicked back to normal it'll go via whatever the knob indicates. I really liked mine and wouldn't have sold it if I could have afforded to keep it at the time.

• Members

Man...this will sound incredibly anti-climactic....but I just saw a video of El Capistan and was completely blown away:

http://videos.apnicommunity.com/Video,Item,955940660.html

Besides the looper, I also want a delay to go with my Boss DD-2. Figured I could get both in a looper delay pedal. Now I'm thinking of putting the Boss as my short delay and getting the El Capistan for the bigger stuff. Put off the looper for now.

If this is bad etiquette, I'm sorry. All the input's been great and really helpful...but I've gotta be honest and say that this pedal really turned my head around. Spoke to me...

• Members

Wha? No. That's an excellent choice man. Go with whatever calls you. Better then buyer's remorse and wishing for something you COULD have had.

Loopers will be here. Maybe when you get the cash a new looper will come out that calls to you.

You just sold me on it. I have a DL4, dont really mess around with the looper that often but i like it. I bought the DL4 for the different delay options but i really only use tape mode and multihead. VOLUME DROP on the DL4 is not good.

I say go E2 and another delay.

:thu: I think this'll fit your needs. Smaller board footprint. The switches are awesome and EASILY replaced. Added bonus that you can daisy chain the Headrush with any of your other pedals. I have to run my dl4 off it's power supply, because I don't have a polarity adapter.

Can you tell I LOVE my headrush?

Czx5WCrL9KA

Martin Dosh does all of his looping with a SINGLE headrush.

DL4 vs the headrush. You can hear near the end that Dosh deletes the overdubs to get back to the original track. Mess up with a dl4 means you HAVE to start from scratch.

Archived