Phase v. Flange v. Tremolo v. Vibe v. Chorus v...

NT Hunter

• Members

Current favourite - Leslie sim, provided by Digitech EX-7, with treddle-controlled rate. Brilliant. Can be found used for under $150, does great leslie, decent vibe, flange if that's your thing, and other effects too including whammy. Very good pedal, lacks indie creds due to brand.

My second favourite is chorus - Recommend the Arion SCH-1 (which is often recommended as a leslie sim, but I don't like it for that) or for cheaper the current Dano cool cat chorus

Next up is trem. I use a Dano Tuna Melt trem in a true bypass loop. Cheap, great sounding. The Dano Cool Cat trem is supposed to be similar and is already true bypass

After that is phase - I use an Arion SPH-1 MIJ. Cost next to nothing, sounds better to me than other phases I-ve tried.

Then vibe - Dano chicken salad, then flange - don't own one because I don't like it on my playing - other people sound great using it though!

• Members

EHX Small Stone USA: slow and shallow.

DOD 201: faster rate.. vibe-ish.

Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter: amp trems to trance tempo-sync'd stuff.

i don't get on with flangers, chorus', univibe's etc. there's some nice pitch vibrato's out there set slow and subtle which adds a nice 'movement' to clean stuff.. opposed to the zealous-wobble-vibrato most people tend to (over)use.

• Members

wouldn't vibrato and chorus be almost the same?

I don't know. It's almost impossible for me to answer this question because I have heard examples of each type that I love and examples that I can't stand.

• Members

wouldn't vibrato and chorus be almost the same?

I don't know. It's almost impossible for me to answer this question because I have heard examples of each type that I love and examples that I can't stand.

I always thought that vibrato was just like chorus x10, but thats just me.

• Members

Phaser>Flanger>Chorus>Vibe>Tremolo

I currently have a Small Stone, which is amazing, and a Boss BF-2 which is great as well. I'd like to get a Boss HF-2 as well, as I've heard great things about them for the sounds I like (Gilmour's, in particular). In general I like phaser best, flanger just behind, and then I like chorus sometimes, I really like vibe but have never owned one, and am not a big fan of tremolo.

• Members

trem>phase>vibe>chorus>flange

I think I agree with this right here. Sometimes phase and tremolo flip one another. Of the 5 tremolo and phaser are my favorite. And I do consider vibe a close cousin of phase.

• Members

For me it also depends on what it's being applied to. I prefer using a phaser on my dry tone, but I prefer vibrato on more wet tones (DMM repeats, for example).

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a big flange fan, but only while I'm using dirt. Flange + clean tone = big meh.

• Members

A lot of us seem to be really digging tremolo lately. I haven't seen hardly any new trems coming out from NAMM. Was hoping to see the new line of TC electronics would have one, but they didn't. Seems like a hole in Strymon's line too.

• Members

A lot of us seem to be really digging tremolo lately. I haven't seen hardly any new trems coming out from NAMM. Was hoping to see the new line of TC electronics would have one, but they didn't. Seems like a hole in Strymon's line too.

the newish hardwire trem looks cool.

Archived