OT: Favorite Mixed Drink

Bill Cosby

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What we call Scotch Whiskey, the Scots call, Whisky and if you ask one, they'll tell you that only the Scots make "whiskey." Should be made of pure barley. I'm not a corksniffer, but corksniffers turn their noses up at Glenfiddich, which I don't get because it's a nice one. It's smokey and fruity and milder than other types, especially the Islay stuff which is real smokey and can get astringent (though I do like it). The advice the guy gave about Glenlivet is good, too. Good entry points, these two Glens.

Other types of whiskey:

Irish Whiskey: Don't know it too well but the method is "Triple Distilled," and if you ask an Irishman, he'll tell you if it's not triple distilled in an Irish pot still, it's not Irish whiskey. All I know is I love that Jamesons 12yo on the rocks. Bushmills is popular, too. Pretty sure it's pure barley like the scotch.

American Bourbon - lots of good stuff out there. I think it's mostly corn, but I'm not sure - maybe mixed with other grains. Try Jim Beam. Good mixer with coke. I don't have any bourbon in the house, but it can be nice. Evan Williams is nice, too, and inexpensive for the 15yo stuff. Nice and sweet and smooth.

American Rye - Don't know it too well but I use Wild Turkey Straight Rye as a mixer. Too spicey on its own.

Canadian Whiskey - Very popular in the States eve since prohibition. All the greats: Seagrams, Windsor, Canadian Club. Basically a smoother Rye blended with other grains. Great for mixing. For neat or on the rocks, try Crown Royal. Corksniffers scoff at it but it's a world class whiskey and so smoooth.

Those are the main ones, I think.

Just Woke Up. tl/dr.
Will have a look after work :thu:

• Members
Anything good
:D

Typically Partagas, Punch, Padron, AVO and Gurkha but I try justabout any I can get my hands on.

Noice, just relaxed in my garden with a nice Punch Petit Corona and a brandy. A great (if very cold) 45 minutes well spent.

• Members
bloody-ceasar.jpg

Caesar. Can be difficult to get a good one, and most likely not outside of Canada.

I enjoy switching it up though, martinis (typically classic dry gin, never vodka and rarely fancy variations), white russians, palomas, manhattans, the typical boring doubles of X & Y mixes...

Archived