Powering 9v pedal with 18v adapter?

gschmittling

• Members

So I'm thinking about buying the Pedal Power Iso 5 and I only need four 9v and one 12v. Would it hurt my pedal to power it with the 18v slot?

Depends on the pedal?

Some pedals sound amazing at 18v and some will blow up at 18v.

You could always just daisy chain 2 effects out of one of the 9v outs.

• Members

Hey, I'm not sure who you are, but your from Detroit! Nice.

I have a Pitchblack, Q-Tron, Octave Multiplexer, and Boss SD-1 (Monte Allums modified)

It's Shane.

Which Q-Tron are you running? I thought all the newer ones ran at 24v.

• Members

Barber's stuff can generally do at least 12V if memory serves, some higher; check with him before running anything based on my statement, please, the last thing I want to do is piss off a guy I respect a great deal by misleading his customers.

Wampler dirts can do from 9V to 18V, so I've been informed. I use them all at 9V. They're designed around a 9V power source; that they can be run higher doesn't necessarily mean they benefit from it. I think that the voltage increase improvements in pedals are often overstated, to be quite honest... I'll explain. Opinion follows, take it as you will.

Pedals designed for distortion may not sound better at 18V even if they can take it. Different, sure, but not necessarily better. A real audio amplifier that is designed to preserve the integrity of the waveform, have low signal to noise, cross-talk (if applicable - e.g. not a monoblock) and THD figures needs as much headroom as possible to accurately reproduce the waveform at a higher amplitude. Dirt pedals throw a lot of that out the window.

Gross generalization follows: lower gain pedals that CAN take 18V are probably more likely to exhibit positive characteristics over 9V compared to higher gain pedals that CAN take 18V. When the goal is to have a lot of clean headroom and start clipping only when it has been exceeded, more voltage helps, provided of course that the pedal can take it in the first place (this is not opinion: and if it can't, prepare to at best fry a protection component in a particularly robustly designed pedal, or at worst just nuke the pedal if it's intended for people who follow instructions closely ;)). Higher gain pedals can sound better at 9V than at 18V because headroom isn't part of the value proposition, so to speak.

• Members

One benefit of 18 v you're leaving out, though, Agreed is pedals tend to be louder at higher voltage. Like, for example, my wolf computer will run at 18v and gets noticeably louder (and also the range of oscillation changes).

Archived