New MacBook Pros

Palaver

• Members

What a failure.

No more option for the matte screen... it's going to be great looking at a shiny mirror on stage!

Only one FW-800 port (so much for running an external hard-drive in tandem with an interface). This is really {censored}ty for their Logic/Apogee platform.

I'm glad I have the older version of the laptop. It looks like we're going to have to wait and see what happens to their 17" MacBookPro. This really sucks, because now we have to carry around larger laptops, and pay A LOT more money for more connectivity and hopefully a matte screen.

For a "PRO" model, they've really excluded a lot of their "Pro" users.

They just {censored} the bed. And it's EVEN more expensive (if you live outside of America).

The Mac forums are hilarious. The audio/video editors are really irratated. It's such a shame too... I have a funny feeling that we're eventually going to have to pay for the 17" model for multi-FW.

Oh yeah, and no Blu-Ray for storage. Awesome. This one could be excusable... IF THEY HAD ANOTHER FW Port!

I'm a huge Apple fan, but this is just disappointing. It looks like I am going to have to buy a MacPro and a flight case (for my next purchase). I may as well... The only notable laptop improvement, is they gave the user easy access to the hard-drive... but how often do you change the thing anyway?

BTW, they didn't do a refresher on the 17" Pro.

Cheers,

PB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Only one FW-800 port (so much for running an external hard-drive in tandem with an interface). This is really {censored}ty for their Logic/Apogee platform.

PB

You can daisy chain the external hard drive through the fw audio interface as long as there is an extra port on the interface, no?

• Members

I'm quite disapointed too, for the same reasons... And still no 7200rpm nor FW on the small MacBook.

Plus I expected the price to go down a bit:mad:

And on top of that: they now loook like standard PC laptops, the new design is not fun at all...

V

• Members

Looks like the two new macbooks don't have firewire, but they are still offering the old white $999 macbook with 1 firewire port.

Hope they don't eventually take that model off the market, forcing you to buy a macbook pro if you want any firewire!

• Members

Looks like the two new macbooks don't have firewire, but they are still offering the old white $999 macbook with 1 firewire port.

Hope they don't eventually take that model off the market, forcing you to buy a macbook pro if you want any firewire!

I might go for the old white one with 4Gb and try to fit a 7200rpm HD inside..

Anybody here running Omnisphere on old MacBooks?

V

• Members

looks kinda like the original titanium powerbook, with the black keys.

however, one firewire port and gloss screen only = epic fail.

it kinda feels like they killed the pro line of laptops to upgrade the consumer line. its nice that the consumers get a better video card, but the aforementioned problems are a big issue for those working in media.

meh.

• Members

You can always use the express card port for a firewire card, or custom card for your interface. This is actually the better way to go anyways, as running an interface + hard drive + assorted other things (in my case a powercore x8 and m3) will clog your firewire bus. I have my interface hooked up through the plug on the MBP, and the HDD + DSP on the expresscard (and also my Remote SL since it's 2 FW and 1 USB).

As I recall, the Apogee system also runs through its own custom express card. (Symphony mobile or something.)

I don't like the new styling or glossy screen, however. Overall the new look comes as a disappointment. They remain expensive, but I consider that the price you have to pay for the most reliable multimedia laptops out there. (Thinkpad is the only other laptop brand I'd buy, but they are more business oriented. I've tried pretty much everything else, and the reliability just isn't there.)

My MBP is still going strong though, so I'll wait it out until they do another redesign.

-D

• Members

Linux here I come! :lol:

I won't be able to afford a new laptop for a good long while anyway, so this makes me feel better about skipping this generation of Mac laptops. I like the multitouch concept and updated techs but find Apple's design decisions a bit odd.

Anybody else notice that even the Pro model uses shared memory now between video and CPU? Video RAM used to be separate on the Pro.

Little people like me aren't going to influence Apple's future designs. Maybe if the professional community makes enough of an outcry... they're ones who spend the big bucks on Apple computer products (note I didn't include ipod/iphone), not us little folk.

• Members

Anybody else notice that even the Pro model uses shared memory now between video and CPU? Video RAM used to be separate on the Pro.

I didnt. but this actually could have its benefits, pass a pointer to the video card instead of copying everytime no? vram tends to be pretty limited usually anyway, and you usually cant add vram without getting a new video card on a laptop, wheras with this now you can, in a way.

seems like a step towards the whole gpgpu/openCL thing.

• Members

I have it on good authority that firewire will be dead soon anyway. USB 3.0 is right around the corner and it'll be a lot cheaper to incorporate.

Yes, existing firewire devices will be worthless. Just like your serial MIDI interfaces and SCSI hard drives. :(

The glossy screens suck. I have one and regret not getting the matte version.

• Members

I have it on good authority that firewire will be dead soon anyway. USB 3.0 is right around the corner and it'll be a lot cheaper to incorporate.

Yes, existing firewire devices will be worthless. Just like your serial MIDI interfaces and SCSI hard drives.
:(

The glossy screens suck. I have one and regret not getting the matte version.

What do you want to say, that the MacBook is more advanced than the MBPro? I think the MacBook line got a nice upgrade, but the firewire thingy does bother my. After all, Apple wants to be the computer for the Media and most camcorders do firewire!!!!

• Members

You can daisy chain the external hard drive through the fw audio interface as long as there is an extra port on the interface, no?

You can daisy chain, but it eats up the bandwidth. For example, I have an Apogee Ensemble (running thru the FW-400) and an external hard-drive running thru the FW-800.

If I daisy-chained thru the FW-800, the performance would be crippled.

I understand that I can buy a FW adapter for the PCI slot, but that's annoying. I wanted to keep that free for a potential DSP.

Either way, you're still {censored} out of luck here.

It would be quite interesting to see if the new 17" make-over will be a true 'pro' unit dedicated to the audio/video world.

This new line of computers seems quite strange... especially with Apple's alliances with Apogee/Logic/Final Cut. It would be super cool if they made a 1U rack computer... like that would happen.

• Members

You can daisy chain, but it eats up the bandwidth. For example, I have an Apogee Ensemble (running thru the FW-400) and an external hard-drive running thru the FW-800.

If I daisy-chained thru the FW-800, the performance would be crippled.

I understand that I can buy a FW adapter for the PCI slot, but that's annoying. I wanted to keep that free for a potential DSP.

Either way, you're still {censored} out of luck here.

It would be quite interesting to see if the new 17" make-over will be a true 'pro' unit dedicated to the audio/video world.

This new line of computers seems quite strange... especially with Apple's alliances with Apogee/Logic/Final Cut. It would be super cool if they made a 1U rack computer... like that would happen.

I'm pretty sure that both the FW800 ports on the older MBP's were on the same FW bus. (I could be wrong but that's the way it's usually done.) So it's the same thing as daisy chaining unless you get an express card. It was slightly more convenient the old way, but I don't think things have really changed much in that regard.

-D

• Members

Well, I'm content now with my MacBook but...

-glossy screen: have one, I'm careful with my lighting and it's fine--a big improvement over my old (matte) PowerBook screen.

-no firewire: I use it only for a single external drive that's too small now anyway

So the new MacBooks / Pro look fine to me; not grab for my wallet, but fine when it comes upgrade time. I do like the idea of a solid state drive on a MacBook

• Members

They will get eventually my feedback when I nurse more years out of my current macbook.

:thu: True. The almighty dollar will speak. However, they might come to their senses in time to add a damn FW port on Rev 2 if you scream loud enough!

• Members

You're joking, right?

XServes have been around for years.

design_frontpanel20080108.jpg

The problem with this, is it's too retarded. This would be exactly what I want if I could build it with the same options as a MacPro.

SWAMI DIGITAL: You make a good point about them being on the same bus. However, (on the old MBP) I always thought that they were on separate buses because both connection ports run at the same time... I was led to believe that a single bus can only support one firewire connection at a time.

You may very well be right. Hopefully, someone can clear this up for us!

Archived